• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Fans Against VAR - Join us

Was just going to post the same - if a lino can’t see such an obvious offside, we need technology - VAR’s weakness for me is far more subjective decisions.
I think that's all we really wanted, the obvious (whatever that really means) offside decisions to be overturned but not millimetric ones.

I think that's all we really wanted, the obvious (whatever that really means) offside decisions to be overturned but not millimetric ones.
I was really referring to decisions that take ages to scrutinise - can’t remember the game, but there was no penalty given against us late on in real time yet, after around a dozen slo-mo’s, it was given.

To me, offside is offside, or else you have to settle on some arbitrary margin that isn’t offside - is this 2cm? Why not 4cm? If not 4, why not 5 etc etc

I was really referring to decisions that take ages to scrutinise - can’t remember the game, but there was no penalty given against us late on in real time yet, after around a dozen slo-mo’s, it was given.

To me, offside is offside, or else you have to settle on some arbitrary margin that isn’t offside - is this 2cm? Why not 4cm? If not 4, why not 5 etc etc
Fulham? On the wrong side of 3 subjective ones in that game with the didn’t head butt him hard enough being one of them.

What’s just happened at Boro pretty much proves that using VAR for offsides is fine, yep it’s harsh but would you rather concede to a blatant offside like this or have a good goal ie us v Spurs in 2018 chalked off with no Var help?

View attachment 10206

But yeah we'd all be fine with that, we definitely were 20 years ago
And, as if proving our point from earlier, totally understandable how the lino misses this in real time as Bamford looks like he may have completely blocked the ref's view of Gnonto.

The offside calls have taken time to get use to but we all pretty much accept that you’re going to get the occasional toe offside or armpit. Is it what is, harsh yes but just how the game is now.
As I’ve banged on about is the use of “clear and obvious” in subjective decisions whereas it should just be “what would give with the benefit of technology”?

That's the point I'm making, and everyone would have a different view on what is obvious. I recognise it isn't possible, but I also don't think toenail / armpits being offside has added anything to the game.

I also feel they're using var to a supurious level of accuracy, but have nothing to back that up with.

That Gnonto offside call wouldn't be harsh. It's obviously off by a decent margin.

Assuming the pic is exactly the right moment.

gnonto is a fucking mile off. VAR as is on offside is absolutely fine. It’s basically the only thing even vaguely working as it is a matter of fact not a matter of what some PGMOL cunt thinks.

Daylight rule. Otherwise benefit of the doubt to the attacking team.

No thanks. I don’t want NBA scorelines
I must have missed those NBA scores pre-VAR when the benefit of the doubt went to the attacking team.

I'm swimming against the tide on TWF but using one bad decision to prove VAR is needed when itself helps produce dozens of bad decisions doesn't make sense to me.

You can't only use VAR for mistakes like this, but not for lesser one's when TV cams and pundits are checking every touch and "we have VAR, why didn't they see that"?

You either have it today's soul destroying manifestation or not at all.

There's never been a benefit of the doubt rule. The linesman flagged what he thought was correct, that included giving offsides that weren't.

The World Cup wasn't like the PL. It doesn't have to be like this.

You’ll still get marginal offsides with the daylight rule. Yep 5-6 years ago Sundays incident we’d have said yes it’s tight but looks about level. Things change and offside isn’t subjective it’s either is or isn’t. It’s cruel I know but we just have to live with it.

You’ll still get marginal offsides with the daylight rule. Yep 5-6 years ago Sundays incident we’d have said yes it’s tight but looks about level. Things change and offside isn’t subjective it’s either is or isn’t. It’s cruel I know but we just have to live with it.
Offside is subjective though after they made it way more complicated with all the inactive player bollocks. The fairest way forward would be to automate next season but with old fashioned offside. Objective, accurate and fair.

Back