• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Fans Against VAR - Join us

If they did it for all of them then fine, they don't.
Should simply be unacceptable in my opinion. Clearly implies a familiarity which they won’t be able to extend to all players, opening the possibility or perception of favouritism. Perhaps (?!) if it was a term of reference they could use for everyone, but they can’t. The fact they haven’t taken such a simple step in cutting it out reflects the low standards in their profession.

Also, they sound like complete and utter twats when they do it. Like the cool dad in the Mary Whitehouse Experience.
Fair comments

Would have thought they know them all at this level but I get the point.

I personally don’t see an issue necessarily with familiarity = favouritism but understand the viewpoint.

Fair comments

I personally don’t see an issue necessarily with familiarity = favouritism but understand the viewpoint.
I alluded to it earlier but for me if they're using proper names rather than nicknames it becomes much, much less of a sticking point for anyone.

Players and refs will get to know each other to an extent, I think that's unavoidable. But whilst the ball is in play, so to speak, professionalism should take priority, IMV.

Fair comments

It’s not just familiarity, they have the team sheets and their names are on the back of their fucking shirts. If they can’t be bothered to learn who plays for the ‘shit’ team then there will always be some bias towards the ones the refs are star struck by.

It's counted against us in the past. Awful challenge by Lampard on Hammill but only a yellow as "Frank isn't that type of player".

Wolves 1-2 Chelsea (Lampard 90)
That’s just poor refereeing. On the flip side Cattermole, Barton et al. Got worse treatment because of their “stereotype”, and unconscious bias which I think comes from the familiarity/stereotype rather than then being pally pally.

It’s not just familiarity, they have the team sheets and their names are on the back of their fucking shirts. If they can’t be bothered to learn who plays for the ‘shit’ team then there will always be some bias towards the ones the refs are star struck by.
Didn’t know this happened. Thought they would have known them all maybe excepting someone like Fraser, but he will know him as soon as he subbed on…

And Karl Henry did, despite probably only commiting one really bad tackle (at Wigan).

He got dogs abuse for Zamora breaking his leg, that was just bad luck.

Saw it yeas ago when we were playing Man U in a League cup match on Sky.
The Ref called ‘Michael’ Owen over for the toss up never even referred to our Captain.

This is interesting on a number of levels.
Too pally with the Oli stuff, like we've seen before
The lines are just complete guesswork, that should be fixed next season
The going to the screen is performative.

Meanwhile 50K fans are sat in the stands like lemons wondering wtf is going on.

Have to say I find the video infuriating rather than fascinating watching these fucking clowns forensically analysing everything

It isn't there now in the PL?

But it is in the CL and the Euros/World Cup where amazingly it works.
Whole thing is open to their whim then, when the ball is kicked. It's bollocks. As a Wolves supporter VAR has ruined this season. Every other week there is some dubious decision against us.
And every week there is a duboous decision against two or three others.

Whole thing is open to their whim then, when the ball is kicked. It's bollocks. As a Wolves supporter VAR has ruined this season. Every other week there is some dubious decision against us.
And every week there is a duboous decision against two or three others.
I mean, I get it, but equally we're still in a position that I think most of us would have taken in August.

Seems like it doesn't take much for a season to be "ruined", "lost", or some other such negative adjective.

It’s not VAR. it’s the corrupt incompetents implementing it
I agree they're incompetent (the corruption bit is obviously nonsense) but its also what's being affected. It simply doesn't need to get involved in some of the stuff it does. Wednesday properly finished me off with it, all season I've been reluctant to celebrate goals, Wednesday I completely forgot about it as I knew there were no possible offsides, no hand balls, nothing at all to check, I was gobsmacked when it up on the screen.

VAR will always be run by officials. I'm not sure they are corrupt, but it has exposed the fact referees get things wrong whether they have time to think about it or not. Micoanalysing the game... you could find a reason to disallow almost any goal. The disallowing of the Wolves goal recently was just absolutely ludicrous, they scan every open play goal for a reason to disallow it. Utterly farcical.

1714162570908.png
Ps judging by some people's opinion of me this must be irony!

I agree they're incompetent (the corruption bit is obviously nonsense) but its also what's being affected. It simply doesn't need to get involved in some of the stuff it does. Wednesday properly finished me off with it, all season I've been reluctant to celebrate goals, Wednesday I completely forgot about it as I knew there were no possible offsides, no hand balls, nothing at all to check, I was gobsmacked when it up on the screen.
There’s massive history of referees being corrupt.

There’s massive history of referees being corrupt.
You'll have to point me in the direction of the evidence of that.
Why would the result of a mid table clash between 2 average teams with nothing riding on it be any interest to an outsider to affect the result?

You'll have to point me in the direction of the evidence of that.
Why would the result of a mid table clash between 2 average teams with nothing riding on it be any interest to an outsider to affect the result?
Gambling.

There are loads of cases against referees - this one for example:

It’s only typical British arrogance than we assume ours are innocent so therefore they haven’t been caught as frequently.

Back