• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Fans Against VAR - Join us

Gambling.

There are loads of cases against referees - this one for example:

It’s only typical British arrogance than we assume ours are innocent so therefore they haven’t been caught as frequently.
Individuals is possible yes, the idea of widespread collusion is ridiculous.

Gambling.

There are loads of cases against referees - this one for example:

It’s only typical British arrogance than we assume ours are innocent so therefore they haven’t been caught as frequently.
Guess I'm just too naive or not cynical enough, no doubt theres instances of that type of corruption all over the place but I'd hope its not that rife.

I agree they're incompetent (the corruption bit is obviously nonsense) but its also what's being affected. It simply doesn't need to get involved in some of the stuff it does. Wednesday properly finished me off with it, all season I've been reluctant to celebrate goals, Wednesday I completely forgot about it as I knew there were no possible offsides, no hand balls, nothing at all to check, I was gobsmacked when it up on the screen.
If Oliver is taking paid junkets to referee in the Middle East and suddenly favours Manchester City I wouldn’t say it is nonsense at all

agree they're incompetent (the corruption bit is obviously nonsense)
No way an organisation that has that much investment, training etc is as incompetent as it has shown, much easier to believe the bias/corruption idea.

If anyone hasn’t seen the penalty Onana gave away today, you absolutely have to. It is a carbon fucking copy of opening day.
That's one of the 2 against us this year I think they've actually accepted was wrong. First Fulham penalty I think was the other

This is interesting on a number of levels.
Too pally with the Oli stuff, like we've seen before
The lines are just complete guesswork, that should be fixed next season
The going to the screen is performative.

Another reflection for me is the ambiguous splodge which is the ball in the frame they chose to determine offside from.

The ball could occupy any one of the positions within the splodge, for me this makes using this system to make such 'accurate' decisions about offside supurious.

Another reflection for me is the ambiguous splodge which is the ball in the frame they chose to determine offside from.

The ball could occupy any one of the positions within the splodge, for me this makes using this system to make such 'accurate' decisions about offside supurious.
They choose the first frame that the ball has visibly made contact with the foot. I've no problem with that.

It's where they draw the lines which is down to the individual VAR operator and not always exact IMO.

Wow... I always suspected the lines were guesswork and not factual and that absolutely confirms that it is subjective based upon the opinion of those in the VAR booth deciding where to place the lines. This is not acceptable and what also is not acceptable is that we are constantly told that offside decisions are a matter of fact.

The rest of the process they employed seems reasonable though and helps us understand why these decisions sometimes take so long.

There's absolutely nothing reasonable about taking 6 minutes re-refereeing the game for 2 decisions they ultimately got wrong.

And this is VAR working as it "should", in theory.

Get fucking rid

They choose the first frame that the ball has visibly made contact with the foot. I've no problem with that.

It's where they draw the lines which is down to the individual VAR operator and not always exact IMO.
The problem is, in the frame they chose the ball could already have left the players foot, because the ball left the foot between frames.

From the size of the splodge, it should be possible to do some maths and figure out what the margin of error is. Thicken the lines they use accordingly so that all eventualities of the splodge are covered, if the lines overlay - benefit of the doubt goes to the attacker.

This is not withstanding the mugs in the VAR studio choose the right part of the body, and the right body, to draw the lines from.

Incidentally, what does the 'moment the ball is played' actually mean? Is it when the player first strikes the ball in a passing motion? Is it when the ball leaves the foot? I don't actually know!

It's when it leaves the foot.

The semi-automated stuff sorts all this out, although some people prefer to be disingenuous and ask why it isn't working now when it isn't even in operation in the PL.

Just had a quick read so hopefully it improves things!

On a slightly different angle, I still have a problem with it in that I think players will be offside (and are today) by margins they cannot perceive.

Back