• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Good people of Britain...........PANIC

I've been tempted a few times this week because it takes so long time to warm back up downstairs when it's as cold as this. When I woke up the other day it was 13° in the hall, heating went on about 5:50am and by 5pm it had made it to 16° with the heating on constantly.
You should probably shut your front door...

I've been tempted a few times this week because it takes so long time to warm back up downstairs when it's as cold as this. When I woke up the other day it was 13° in the hall, heating went on about 5:50am and by 5pm it had made it to 16° with the heating on constantly.
I'd suggest you've got an issue with radiator size or insulation, maybe both.

I use the timers and set mine to 14 deg from 11pm onwards so it doesn't drop too cold. Then it goes back up to 19 deg at 8am.

Further to the other points made above @MARKakaJIM. What is your boiler flow temperature? And is that just the hall or every room?

You should probably shut your front door...

It's as shut as a near 130 year old door can be but given that the door and/or opening move/warp/shrink/swell so much through the seasons that it's not uncommon for only 2 out of 4 locks to be operable then you can imagine air tightness is difficult to achieve.

I'd suggest you've got an issue with radiator size or insulation, maybe both.

No issue with either, just a complete absence of the latter.

Further to the other points made above @MARKakaJIM. What is your boiler flow temperature? And is that just the hall or every room?

Well the thermostat is on the hall so it's accurate there, I'd hazard dominh room slightly colder, living room about the same and then the rest of the downstairs rooms a bit better, aside from the toilet which has no radiator.

No idea what temperate the boiler is set to, issue is with the retention of heat rather than delivery of it. Air tightness and U values weren't big considerations for the Victorians.

No idea what temperate the boiler is set to, issue is with the retention of heat rather than delivery of it. Air tightness and U values weren't big considerations for the Victorians.
Well id check. No point paying money for something that has little to no effect. May as well ramp the boiler up and pay a little more and actually have some benefit

Well id check. No point paying money for something that has little to no effect. May as well ramp the boiler up and pay a little more and actually have some benefit

It's fine, the radiators are all hot, the upstairs is perfectly fine because there's far less of an issue with air escaping and at least some insulation above the ceilings.

A few weeks of the year the outside temperature makes it a battle for the downstairs heating to do it's thing but it's an infrequent issue. Could just put the fire on in the living room and that would warm things far more heavily but that's another example of bad work that's been done to this house over the years, no flue installed so the original chimney provides far too much draw and sucks most of the heat out the back rather than into the room.

Fucking wind just ripped the door & a panel off my fucking greenhouse.

Back