• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Manchester City (A) 4/5: Build-Up & Match Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
By all accounts (not on here, of course) Doc had a decent game against Luton.

He was alright v Bournemouth too, in terms of how he and Semedo linked definitely.
I watched it, and he didn't. He simply didn't make many stand out clangers (after what seemed like an 'encouraging' start in the first few minutes on that front). If that's the level of decent in the Premier League right now then so be it, but it't not for me. Also worth being mindful that the Hatters were the worst team we've seen at Molineux this season, by some way. It's honestly astonishing he's playing in top flight football, incredible, so, on that basis alone, fair play to him.

He gave the ball away needlessly several times against Luton under no pressure. It'd be a massive stretch to suggest that he played well.

Why can't we play a back of Semedo-Kilman-Toti-HBueno? Other than manager choice of course and the team being weaker down back but it avoids Doc playing. Would assum if RAN is up the pitch too he'd drop back and Lemina has been playing quite deep lately.

If Hugo hasn't convinced Gary that he's a better option than Doc, I have to lean on that being Hugo's failing.

He hasn't taken his opportunities like say Traore has done recently, but GON is proving to write players off and not use them. He'd done it with Sasa despite his goals as sub and was happy with him leaving in Jan. Fraser hasn't been the token academy player getting minutes for a while.

For the record not getting too disappointed/worked up if they play a back like in DW's post with Doc starting, it's Man City after all, but I don't think there's really any excuses when he has decided to start Doc at LB over a fit Bueno. It's been one of the weird undercurrents of the season. If we find out it's because Hugo couldn't handle being jumped as starter to RAN than that too would be disappointing and I guess means yet another position we're looking for dept in again over summer.

Hugo Bueno hasn't been great when he has played but then he's not had much of a kick this season so it's not easy coming in for the odd game when spending a massive chunk of the season not playing. Would be nice to see him in a few games before the season ends to get a better assessment whether he is worth keeping around the squad next season or moving on, not really much to lose - we aren't going to learn anything we didn't already know about Doherty and there's nothing riding on these games.

Why can't we play a back of Semedo-Kilman-Toti-HBueno? Other than manager choice of course and the team being weaker down back but it avoids Doc playing. Would assum if RAN is up the pitch too he'd drop back and Lemina has been playing quite deep lately.
Because us playing 4 at the back is worse than playing 5 with the expected set up.

Our worst performances of the season have come when we play 4 at the back.

Nothing wrong with the back 5 we played against Luton. It's Doc's theoretical best position if we have to play him anywhere at all.

Nothing wrong with the back 5 we played against Luton. It's Doc's theoretical best position if we have to play him anywhere at all.
False 9 or bust

Seen us as long as 25/1 with some bookies I know we’ve been poor recently but not that poor, sort off odds you’d expect a league 1 club to have.

Team news: "Bellegarde, Neto and S.Bueno are all back in full training. Noha getting closer too
They could all play a part this weekend, they're all fit and available.

"If Neto breaks down he has all pre-season at another club to get over it...."

I'd imagine no more than 10-15 mins for Neto. Similar to Bellegarde. Maybe Santi will be fit to start as he hasn't been out long.

On Doyle: "I'm pleased. Delighted it's all done and he's played an important part for us this season. He had to be patient and we've found ways to get him in the team."

"His obvious strength is with the ball and I think we can still make that better. We need to get him to a point where he always impacts the game with the ball and I know how hard he'll work at that."

"Tommy's better than I was as a player! He's a great signing for the club. I can't speak highly enough of him around the training ground. Some players are high maintenance but I don't spend much of my time worrying about Tommy. A good one to have in the group."

"It's very good value and a good deal for us. How much of a good deal it is depends on me and Tommy."

"Bellegarde, Neto and S.Bueno are all back in full training. Noha getting closer too."

"They could all play a part this weekend, they're all fit and available."

On City: "Tomorrow will be a much more difficult test than we faced in September. They will be expected to get maximum points to get the title, but we'll give everything we can. We'll need to be close to perfect."

Touchline ban: "It'll have an impact but I'll be in the dressing room with the players and will be in communication with the bench."

On City: "We're looking forward to it because City are the benchmark. It's the ultimate test and I'm looking forward to seeing how we deal with it."

On returning injured players: "I won't take any risk if you're not fit, but if you are fit what are we waiting for? They are all want to play and be part of the group. We've missed them and they've missed playing."

GO is uber cautious on players returning, even when we have been struggling for numbers. I don't think we will see Neto tomorrow but will get a chance to say a possible goodbye in the final home game

GO is uber cautious on players returning, even when we have been struggling for numbers. I don't think we will see Neto tomorrow but will get a chance to say a possible goodbye in the final home game
Yeah, several times he's said someone is in the picture and then they haven't even made the bench (including Neto, think he bigged him up before Chelsea on Christmas Eve but he wasn't there on the day, then was an unused sub at Brentford).

Neto himself will want to play at least a couple though because otherwise he's giving Portugal a decision to make in a few weeks. If he's proven fit then he's 100% going.

Also, of course if Santi is fit to play then he goes in at CH and we can put Semedo back where he's supposed to be.

Not sure at all that Neto will be leaving .

Think he will give neto half an hour as he's been on the grass more than the others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back