• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

O'Neil In, Out and Shaking it all about

The Liverpool job could be a poisoned chalice for up and coming coaches. I think there's a good chance GON will want another season here to cement his reputation, obviously that depends if the club back him enough or a West Ham type come in for him and promise him a war chest.
My gut feeling is he'll be at Wolves next season.

I think it's fair to say GoN is looking for a way out of Wolves this summer.
No idea if it's true but we've certainly put ourselves in a ridiculous position by announcing that we want to renew his contract in the summer but then in the same breath saying 'Part of that will be the plan for the club, and that’s where you have to have honest conversations about what it looks like going forward'.

I don't believe O'Neil wants out, I believe him when he says he loves it here but when you say that you give him all the power. His stock is high at the moment and he's got a lot of self belief so if clubs like AC Milan & Liverpool are looking at him and we're sat there saying that we've got no money to spend and you're going to lose 2 first team players minimum on top of that... It's only going to end one way.

You mean to say he's potentially not enthused by the signings of Che Adams & Josh Brownhill well we flog our best players?

I don't believe that, mate!
If we're starting Tommy Doyle and Josh Brownhill in the centre of midfield for any extended periods of time next season we're going down.

It's no wonder GoN would be looking elsewhere.

No idea if it's true but we've certainly put ourselves in a ridiculous position by announcing that we want to renew his contract in the summer but then in the same breath saying 'Part of that will be the plan for the club, and that’s where you have to have honest conversations about what it looks like going forward'.

I don't believe O'Neil wants out, I believe him when he says he loves it here but when you say that you give him all the power. His stock is high at the moment and he's got a lot of self belief so if clubs like AC Milan & Liverpool are looking at him and we're sat there saying that we've got no money to spend and you're going to lose 2 first team players minimum on top of that... It's only going to end one way.
It was an odd powerplay by us. Almost suggesting "he will sign anything, where is he going to get a better offer".

His agent was given the opportunity to properly whore him around and we know players and managers will have "informal" meetings. Leaked to the press and all of a sudden GO's agent sits down with Hobbs and Shi next month and can pull out "well Man U, Liverpool & Milan have an interest here, what can you offer"

The links to the likes being discussed on here won't be part of it as I think GO is happy with those players as he builds a squad. These types of players will top up the other targets which will be young players, like Gomes, who we have no clue about but have a potential to give the club a large return when sold.

His stock will only go down with us, he’d be smart to leave this summer.

West Ham did the double over us this season and we were useless in 3 of the 4 halves. Not the best application and given the fact that they are looking at names such as Amorim suggests they are looking far higher up the candidates list than where GON will be placed.

I think Gaz's agent has got a bit excited in the past few days. AC Milan and Liverpool is taking the piss a bit too much.

He's not going to do better than us right now. I wouldn't even have him in with much of a chance of the West Ham job, and their fans would presumably be fuming if he was appointed.

He's stuck with us, and Fosun know it.

Hopefully it's purely a contract thing and his way of getting more money, which wouldn't surprise me. However, do feel like others it's that combined with a push for more power/support in the transfer market, which he won't get.

O'Neil doesn't walk away now though, but he could sign his new contract and leave at the first chance if more realistic jobs become available in the next 6-12 months, such as Fulham, Brighton, Everton etc.

There's no way O'Neill ends up as Liverpool manager.
I agree, but he did play with Hughes at Portsmouth, so there is a connection there to at least leak their interest and do him a favour. It's trending 5 on Twitter so worked from that perspective.

I agree, but he did play with Hughes at Portsmouth, so there is a connection there to at least leak their interest and do him a favour. It's trending 5 on Twitter so worked from that perspective.
He also sacked him when he was at Bournemouth?

I think Gaz's agent has got a bit excited in the past few days. AC Milan and Liverpool is taking the piss a bit too much.

He's not going to do better than us right now. I wouldn't even have him in with much of a chance of the West Ham job, and their fans would presumably be fuming if he was appointed.

He's stuck with us, and Fosun know it.

Hopefully it's purely a contract thing and his way of getting more money, which wouldn't surprise me. However, do feel like others it's that combined with a push for more power/support in the transfer market, which he won't get.

O'Neil doesn't walk away now though, but he could sign his new contract and leave at the first chance if more realistic jobs become available in the next 6-12 months, such as Fulham, Brighton, Everton etc.
I think he could do a lot better than us to be honest. Look at the state our squad has been in for the last month or so, he could get jobs at a number of other clubs where he wouldn't have to deal with that. We'll lose key players in the summer as well so there's a hell of a lot riding on our incoming recruitment now if we want to stay at a level that O'Neil has now proven that he can compete at. Given our recent track record of lying to a succession of managers, coaches and recruitment staff I wouldn't blame him if he had reservations about committing his future to Wolves.

I agree that I think he'll still be here next summer though. I genuinely believe him when he says he loves it here and while I don't doubt there are more ambitious clubs interested in him I don't think it would go as far as for them to actually make him an offer just yet.

I don't think he's daft enough to leg it after one season, based on a few wild rumours.
He'll an intelligent guy and will keep his powder dry at least until he sees the ins and outs of fhe summer window.

There's no way O'Neill ends up as Liverpool manager.
That might well be the case, but I wouldn't be at all surprised to hear he's had (or been offered) an interview. He's done a great job keeping Bournemouth up, then progressed further with us with a completely ridiculous set of circumstances - he's English, young & clearly interviews well.

That might well be the case, but I wouldn't be at all surprised to hear he's had (or been offered) an interview. He's done a great job keeping Bournemouth up, then progressed further with us with a completely ridiculous set of circumstances - he's English, young & clearly interviews well.
Plus, it's like any line of work. I had an interview a few weeks ago for a role I knew I probably wasn't ready for and wouldn't take even if it was offered, I went to it because I'm fairly new to the industry and don't have much experience interviewing within it. O'Neil is new to coaching/management, is building his reputation and has actually worked at Liverpool before as well. It only makes sense for Liverpool to talk to him, even if it's only so they can guage his progress or maintain a relationship with him and O'Neil would be a complete fool to turn down the chance to interview for such a prestigious role.

Back