• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

O'Neil In, Out and Shaking it all about

I wouldn’t be hanging around too long, they should be scouting round Europe during the summer to see if there’s another Glasner/Iraola available.

I wouldn’t be hanging around too long, they should be scouting round Europe during the summer to see if there’s another Glasner/Iraola available.
We must be a tempting offer

- Must sell best players to fund purchasing players
- Must be sold before incomings approved
- May move goalposts after selling players
- May move goalposts again for no reason.

Form an orderly queue managers from around Europe and beyond

All very true, I don’t know anything about the finances at both Bournemouth and Palace but I wouldn’t expect it to be a great deal different to us.

Dan touched on the difference between Palace and Wolves the other day - they seem poles apart from us.

Not sure about Bournemouth but is their manager saying they have to sell to buy in the pre Brentford press conference?

I’ve recently become very concerned about the O’Neills ability, we will probably lose one maybe two of our best players in the summer.
All I can see following recent performances is, at best, a fight for 17th or relegation next season.

Yeah it's a concern. After the first 6 games I thought he was way out of his depth, of course he turned it round and for a while we were genuinely good, some great results and good to watch. However the last few months have been appalling, some of that is down to injuries/burnout of course but thats where a coach earns his corn, he simply has to mitigate the loss of players with tactics and set up that get the most from what he has. If the players can't do what he asks then he simply has to change something, which he hasn't.
It seems churlish to be calling for his head currently but if he gets some signings that he wants, then he won't or shouldn't get too much time next season if we carry on with our current trajectory

I’m particularly calling for his head, I just don’t think he’s good enough, so as we all know it goes on, we should be looking at possible replacements.

I’m particularly calling for his head, I just don’t think he’s good enough, so as we all know it goes on, we should be looking at possible replacements.
Like you I'm not completely convinced by him but still think it would be harsh to get rid now, given the hand he was dealt from the start of the season to the January window.

Just in case there was any misunderstanding that should have been I’m not particularly calling for his head ;)

What do you mean? Genuinely.
He's a low budget limited option for a club with low aspirations and a self imposed limited budget. He is what he is, as is the club, they are a match for each other

I find it exceptionally interesting that you define the club that way but I get what you’re saying, I think.

He's got a fair few failings (as a very young manager) but he isn't the main issue.

Put Graham Potter in charge and run the club the same way. You'll get the same results.
Nailed it.

Our board are worse than useless; they are utterly clueless (after 8 years) on how to sustainably run a successful football club.

As for that gnome Jeff Shi, my contempt and loathing for this person knows no bounds.

To be honest, my comments were born out of frustration and maybe a bit harsh.
For a very long time though, I’ve been reading on both the match thread and the verdict thread, ‘GON got it wrong’ and ‘this is on GON’.

We can't defend. 5 PL clean sheets all season, some of that is personnel based, but tactically both in terms of the space we offer the opposition and the way he tries to get players to do things which they aren't capable of, is on him.

My opinion of GON is still higher than it was when he was appointed and I wouldn't sack him unless a clearly better candidate is available and wants the job, but the last couple of months have left me with significant doubts.

63 GA and we’ve still got to go to Anfield with them in party send off mode. So probably our worst defensive display outside the 2 relegation seasons. Conceded 66 in 10/11 when coming 17th.
Being that leaky is unsustainable and totally reliant on you scoring 40+ just to survive.

Back