• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2021 transfer window

It would be a decent loan for him if it goes ahead. I find it encouraging that we seem to be making a start of pruning the playing staff of those players considered unlikely to feature in the first team next season. I guess this might speed up after the first couple of weeks of pre-season.

Also suggests to me that RAN is hopefully returning. Surely we won't rely on Vinagre? (Marcal doesn't count as he's unlikely to hold together for a total of 90 minutes during the whole season).

why would you want to downgrade on him. if vic had chosen his words slightly differently , said replacing nuno with someone with less experience instead of pl experience i am not sure anyone would have said much.
vic has raised some valid points, manager appointed who most on here would not have picked, a questionable recruitment process to get him, a number of senior players potentially leaving ( most people would be happy for rui and neves to stay maybe even traore) in a team which needed say 3 new additions anyway. on top of that no-one knows whether raul, jonny and neto will come back firing.
its a risk, no two ways about it. most people on here roll with it on the basis that fosun have done, and they have , an excellent job so far.
lets hope they continue to do so.

What is this obsession with 'upgrades' and 'downgrades'? The issue I had with vic's 'upgrade' comment is that he phrased it as if Fosun had literally come out and said 'this manager is an upgrade on Nuno'. It's just untrue.

Teams change managers for many reasons. Managers, even the best ones, reach the end of their time and change is needed. That's clearly what Fosun thought about Nuno, and that call will be assessed in time. I think all of us would have given Nuno at least some of next season (if he wanted it), but we don't run the football club. We can say what our first impressions and likely projection of that call are at this point, but to be so aggressively definite before we make a major signing or sale or even kick a ball is just knee-jerk and frankly one-note.

It's not a revolutionary new idea vic has come up with to say appointing Bruno is a risk. Everyone on here thinks it's a risk, there are plenty of posters uncertain about this change, but there's no need to beef that opinion up with extra speculation and then get antsy when people want to debate that. In fact, I don't think a single person is 'drinking the Fosun/Mendes kool aid'. We all have varying degrees of scepticism.

As for the other Nuno myths, I've already addressed the fact that Nuno didn't leave us at a peak, he went during a period of decline, and that star players also left while he was still here, and may well have left this summer even if he stayed.

We can't pretend that keeping Nuno wouldn't have been a risk either, or that it's a given he would be able to sort out the mess he contributed to getting us into last season.

Last edited:
Having 1 downward season should be viewed as that, not a decline as there was nothing to suggest it wouldn't improve this season. He had had made some of last year's issue with the small squad and he had already said he needed to consider his thinking on that. He had also been trying to move system away from the back 3.

Seen links to a different keeper floating around this morning. Uğurcan Çakır.

He’s the Turkish National keeper, for those who don’t know. Fresh off the back of conceding 8 goals in 3 games at the Euro’s…

I mentioned in the euro thread he looked decent though and his distribution looks very good.

Would much rather take a chance on him than Ward, who whilst not at fault for the goals yesterday just looks like a champ/back up keeper in terms of reflexes and athleticism.

Having 1 downward season should be viewed as that, not a decline as there was nothing to suggest it wouldn't improve this season. He had had made some of last year's issue with the small squad and he had already said he needed to consider his thinking on that. He had also been trying to move system away from the back 3.
1 downward season is literally a period of decline. What was there to suggest it would improve this season? More hope than anything, I suspect.

How much sugar coating for Nuno do we need? Are we going to do the same for the end of Lage's tenure at Benfica too?

Vic stated previously that 'everything had been upwards until Nuno left'. Not true. Last season was a considerable dip.

Seen links to a different keeper floating around this morning. Uğurcan Çakır.

He’s the Turkish National keeper, for those who don’t know. Fresh off the back of conceding 8 goals in 3 games at the Euro’s…
Have to say any links to keepers right now, outside of Sa, are just click bait.

Is a little blind optimism

I think any link is click bait right now given what Jeffy said!
While it's a good idea not to believe media speculation on anything I'm sure we will bring players in, so it would also be a good idea for the club to be having the necessary conversations now (and indeed probably have been for months).

What is this obsession with 'upgrades' and 'downgrades'? The issue I had with vic's 'upgrade' comment is that he phrased it as if Fosun had literally come out and said 'this manager is an upgrade on Nuno'. It's just untrue.

Teams change managers for many reasons. Managers, even the best ones, reach the end of their time and change is needed. That's clearly what Fosun thought about Nuno, and that call will be assessed in time. I think all of us would have given Nuno at least some of next season (if he wanted it), but we don't run the football club. We can say what our first impressions and likely projection of that call are at this point, but to be so aggressively definite before we make a major signing or sale or even kick a ball is just knee-jerk and frankly one-note.

It's not a revolutionary new idea vic has come up with to say appointing Bruno is a risk. Everyone on here thinks it's a risk, there are plenty of posters uncertain about this change, but there's no need to beef that opinion up with extra speculation and then get antsy when people want to debate that. In fact, I don't think a single person is 'drinking the Fosun/Mendes kool aid'. We all have varying degrees of scepticism.

As for the other Nuno myths, I've already addressed the fact that Nuno didn't leave us at a peak, he went during a period of decline, and that star players also left while he was still here, and may well have left this summer even if he stayed.

We can't pretend that keeping Nuno wouldn't have been a risk either, or that it's a given he would be able to sort out the mess he contributed to getting us into last season.

who's obsessed?
my post was an attempt to give vic a bit of support. i felt that he was getting a lot of stick partly or mainly because of how he expresses himself rather than his basic thoughts. Does that sound familiar to you?
Thank you for running through your thoughts on nuno. Unlike vic i was pleased to see him go ( putting aside my feelings for him as a person). He had clearly run out of ideas and the football was appalling to watch. Unlike you i certainly didnt want fosun to give him "at least some of next season" to peddle more of that type of football.

who's obsessed?
my post was an attempt to give vic a bit of support. i felt that he was getting a lot of stick partly or mainly because of how he expresses himself rather than his basic thoughts. Does that sound familiar to you?
Thank you for running through your thoughts on nuno. Unlike vic i was pleased to see him go ( putting aside my feelings for him as a person). He had clearly run out of ideas and the football was appalling to watch. Unlike you i certainly didnt want fosun to give him "at least some of next season" to peddle more of that type of football.

Haha I get where you're coming from in terms of how we express ourselves, but I've had to learn to be less confrontational, or it just alienates people and you can never have a decent discussion! Each to their own though.

The obsession comment wasn't aimed exclusively at your post, I've heard 'upgrade' and 'downgrade' bandied around plenty, and for me it's reductive and more like how FIFA (the game) works than reality, for reasons I've explained.

It's fine to think Fosun have made a mistake appointing Lage, or even getting rid of Nuno, but surely it's better to base that opinion chiefly on events that have actually happened rather than doom-projecting into the future. As I type this, we haven't bought or sold a first-team player (apart from Yerson), and haven't even kicked a ball in anger.

It's just not proportionate to claim everything was fine before Nuno left and now it's all going to shit

Twitter following down to 1876 again, last time that happened we signed Mosquera

Right, so if Roma offer what we feel is an amount we can't turn down we will sell if not we offer him a new deal and remove the chance of losing him next Summer for free. Kind of makes sense I guess.

Also won't sell until his replacement is checking out hotels in Wolverhampton, an actualy bit of sensible work there.

The bit that doesn't stack up to me is the amount we want for him is based on the fact he only has a year left and that or more will likely be spent on the replacement so it's not about putting money into the coffers. So just offer him a new contract if that's what you are considering anyway. It doesn't exactly feel particularly commited to any direction

The bit that doesn't stack up to me is the amount we want for him is based on the fact he only has a year left and that or more will likely be spent on the replacement so it's not about putting money into the coffers. So just offer him a new contract if that's what you are considering anyway. It doesn't exactly feel particularly commited to any direction
It's almost like the club aren't too arsed either way, the only thing they're bothered about is whether we get the right fee.

Back