• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Definitive TWF Wolves XI Thread (2019 version) - 1970 - present

Nuno
John Barnwell
Mick McCarthy

My guess is that Richards, Munro and Hibbitt would get in if more of us had seen them.

Those three were the only ones I included & were probably the only ones worthy of it (though a couple of others got close)

With modern facilities/coaching etc. then they would have been in this team

Yeah Nuno, Mick and Turner for me too.

Wasn't a fan of turner's football really, but was effective for a time.

Nuno
Mick
Jones

As decent as Jackett was I can't have him above Jones who had us playing some great stuff to get promoted to the top flight.

Nuno
McCarthy
Turner

Graham Hawkins deserves a mentioned for getting us up with players who were either kids or over the top. The Bhatti's destroyed any hope he had of keeping us up when the only signing was some journeyman from Rotherham called Tony Towner

Nuno
Mick
Graham Turner

Graham Taylor had to be the unluckiest manager we had. If we got half the injuries we'd have been promoted easily.

KJ did well but ultimately had the resources to blow the rest of the league away

Graham Taylor had to be the unluckiest manager we had. If we got half the injuries we'd have been promoted easily.

Although every time we got one he was given the money to replace them

KJ did well but ultimately had the resources to blow the rest of the league away[.

I don't disagree, but if you look at the job Ross did at Sunderland this year with a vastly superior budget, it puts the job KJ did into context.

Graham Taylor had to be the unluckiest manager we had..

Also heard stories of divides in the teams he created, pitted one player against another about wages, I think Bully on a video commented to it.

Nuno
Mick
Jones

As decent as Jackett was I can't have him above Jones who had us playing some great stuff to get promoted to the top flight.

AgreeableHardBigmouthbass-small.gif

The negatives massively, massively outweigh the positives with DJ.

Nuno
Mick
Jones

Pretty simple for me, the three managers that have taken us to the Premier League. Once there - Jones 1 season, Mick 3 seasons, Nuno taken us to Europe. Honourable mentions to Jackett and Turner who I didn't end up hating/disliking afterward

It's another age thing with Turner. If you only ever saw his efforts in the second tier, then he's a nice guy who played some largely rubbish football that was almost wholly reliant on one player, and he was very hit and miss in the market.

If you date back to the 80s, then you realise that we could have disappeared without trace had he not worked miracles on a budget of 4p in a ground that wouldn't be allowed in the Conference North now, while training on a car park at times.

We were getting regular sub 3k gates on our way down and had a horrible knack of appointing shit managers. If we'd picked one more idiot, it could have been the end. No hyperbole, that could have been it. No more Wolverhampton Wanderers.

He is 100% getting my vote over Dave "please sir, can I have some more" Jones.

Turner was a good manager at the right level for him - L2 (was it still called Div 4?). Without Bully he would probably have struggled a bit in L1, and was way out of his depth in the Championship.

Who knows how things might have worked out if we had kept Brian Little instead, or hadn't signed Bully.

Nuno
Barnwell
MM

Hang on. GT directly employed Ron Jukes (getting him from D2 Derby to a crippled D4 club), Ron found Bully, and GT convinced the board to stump up the (meagre) cash for him.

It's all down to Turner that we had Bully. There's no element of luck there or "what if we hadn't signed him". Turner put the mechanisms in place so that we could do it - we had bugger all scouting staff when he arrived - then made the decision himself to do it, then made it work on the pitch (and it wasn't like Bully was ready made when he got here either, he and we needed to work at it). He didn't just luck out and find some bloke from Tipton in the reserves when he arrived. It was his work that made it happen.

As for Brian Little, his Wolves spell is a lot briefer and a lot less successful than people remember. We'll never know but I never liked him or his football at Leicester and Villa.

Back