• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Football News Thread 2023/24

The players really don't need the extra wear and tear on their bodies, IMV. ❄️

I agree with him on consultation and the arguments around player fatigue are largely bogus. But replays are not the hill to die on.

12 L1 or lower clubs have earned a replay against a PL team in the last 10 seasons. They've lost every single one. The fairytale happens so rarely and so inevitably ends in defeat (so they're worse off than if they went through) as to make it a complete red herring and one of those footballing myths that people sign up to even though they've got no basis in reality.

Sure, you can pick out isolated examples of Burton/Luton/Exeter from 15-20 years ago, that on its own is not a compelling reason to keep them. My stance on replays (I think they've had their day, and the League Cup can get in the bin completely) would have been the same stance 10 years ago when we were muddling along in the middle of the Championship, it's nothing to do with Wolves.

I agree with him on consultation and the arguments around player fatigue are largely bogus. But replays are not the hill to die on.

12 L1 or lower clubs have earned a replay against a PL team in the last 10 seasons. They've lost every single one. The fairytale happens so rarely and so inevitably ends in defeat (so they're worse off than if they went through) as to make it a complete red herring and one of those footballing myths that people sign up to even though they've got no basis in reality.

Sure, you can pick out isolated examples of Burton/Luton/Exeter from 15-20 years ago, that on its own is not a compelling reason to keep them. My stance on replays (I think they've had their day, and the League Cup can get in the bin completely) would have been the same stance 10 years ago when we were muddling along in the middle of the Championship, it's nothing to do with Wolves.
I understand that pov (I don't agree but that doesn't matter)
I know giant killing rarely happens and the little teams don't often get their day in the sun but when it happens it's fucking brilliant.
It pisses me off, the decision is all about the richest teams getting their own way.
I realise I'm in the minority but I don't really give a flying fuck who wins the CL unless Wolves are in it which is probably never gunna happen.

If you're after giant killing then lower ranked teams have MORE chance of going through without replays.
True, but for small teams it's also about revenue, shithousing a draw and then getting the free lottery ticket of playing at Old Trafford etc.

Perhaps the bigger teams that don’t want replays could just not bother entering if they don’t like it. Time to decide if they are more bothered about the CL and its expanding calendar or the FA Cup. I really wish the Superleague had gone ahead and the teams had been kicked out and a new league pyramid where teams compete on a more level playing field had replaced the current shit show.

Disagree. Let this slide and what's next?

It's not about "lower" teams earning replays or even winning. It is the opportunity that is being denied to them. As Collymore says, he dreamed of playing at Burnley. That is the dream for lower league players, to have the opportunity to play on the stage of a so called bigger team.

The FA Cup used to be about fighting to get to the final. 3 games sometimes settled the score. Arsenal v MUFC, Wolves v Chorley etc would never have happened and some great games and memories will no longer be afforded all because a handful of clubs want games that bring them more revenue. Something wrong with that picture IMO.

I'm not saying you can't mess with the format of a long standing institution and adapt but I am saying that abandoning the idea of a replay is a step too far.

My point is that the FA Cup is basically fine. There's a lot wrong with football. Loads. This isn't one of them. Who cares if a handful of managers can't be arsed with it? Fuck them. Play the kids then as Stan says.

I understand that pov (I don't agree but that doesn't matter)
I know giant killing rarely happens and the little teams don't often get their day in the sun but when it happens it's fucking brilliant.
It pisses me off, the decision is all about the richest teams getting their own way.
I realise I'm in the minority but I don't really give a flying fuck who wins the CL unless Wolves are in it which is probably never gunna happen.
CL is wazz most of the time. European games used to be big events but the same cunts play each other all the time now.

My point is that the FA Cup is basically fine. There's a lot wrong with football. Loads. This isn't one of them. Who cares if a handful of managers can't be arsed with it? Fuck them. Play the kids then as Stan says.
Surely that takes even more away from the lower league clubs? Where's the prestige for them playing against United's kids? Wouldn't get anything like maximum gate money for that sort of fixture either and eventually the value of the whole competition, both financial and sentimental, is eroded.

Keeping the big teams engaged is a key part of keeping the money and incentive involved.

Surely that takes even more away from the lower league clubs? Where's the prestige for them playing against United's kids? Wouldn't get anything like maximum gate money for that sort of fixture either and eventually the value of the whole competition, both financial and sentimental, is eroded.

Keeping the big teams engaged is a key part of keeping the money and incentive involved.
Take away a Champions League place and give it to the winner of the FA Cup. Can't happen, I know. But that would be incentive.

If it’s true the EFL have had zero consultation in the process then it’s a shitbag move.
The replays being scrapped personally I’m not to fussed about, I kind of like the idea that it’s all done and dusted on that day but I’m not a lower league fan so my opinion is a bit skewed.
Replays are mostly of an inconvenience for PL clubs trying to stay up and championship clubs getting up. The big 6 on the whole can handle it.
The big away payday is confusing so a lot of L1 & L2 chairmen are hoping they don’t beat a big 6 club if they’re all square in the last minute?
FA cup is also about luck of the draw as much as anything. Clubs are praying on drawing about 7-8 clubs away from home after that it’s nothing too special.
Only way around it is seeding the 3rd round draw so at least lower league clubs are at least guaranteed a side from a different league.
Only risk with that is you run the risk of a PL heavy competition from the 4th round onwards.
Final should be played after the PL is all done.
Stop playing semi finals at Wembley, don’t think anybody would object to neutral grounds being used again.

How much extra cash are Coventry making tomorrow because the game is being played at Wembley rather than Villa Park?

Broadly agree JD but on the semi finals point...I agree it's a bit shit but equally you have the situation where had we beaten Cov and they'd said Man Utd in the semi was at Villa Park...there wouldn't be enough tickets for all our STHs let alone anyone else. At least with Wembley - which I don't like - there's loads of seats and most people who've gone to games over the season and want a ticket can get one.

Broadly agree JD but on the semi finals point...I agree it's a bit shit but equally you have the situation where had we beaten Cov and they'd said Man Utd in the semi was at Villa Park...there wouldn't be enough tickets for all our STHs let alone anyone else. At least with Wembley - which I don't like - there's loads of seats and most people who've gone to games over the season and want a ticket can get one.

Kind of the reward though for winning the semi final, I’d say Villa park isn’t a viable option due to its current size.
They’re happy with everyone going to London for a semi final so you could easily use the emirates or Tottenham. 60k so you’re probably getting around 27k each

Back