• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The golden years

KCOX

Reaction score
I grew up watching the Wolves during their golden years of the 50s. After that, decline. But teams like Manchester Utd, Spurs, Arsenal and later Liverpool, managed to turn themselves into regular fixtues of the upper levels of the old League Division One and then the Premiership. So what happened? I would be curious to get reactions to how I see it.

Cullis was a decent manager but he inherited a bunch of superior players from the mid to late 40s: notably Hancocks, Wilshaw, Wright, Williams. He never replaced them with players of the same quality. He was also unfortunate to lose Swinbourne to terminal injury. A big loss. But not only did he hurry Hancocks et al out of the door, he thought he had the ability to replace them. Evidently he didn't. The replacements were good enough to win an FA Cup in 1960, but from then on, decline. This is without commenting on the rather ordinary people who succeeded him in managing Wolves.

Thoughts, particularly from those who can match my own bewhiskered years.

If you watched the team during that time, then I'm jealous, but you are looking for people in their late 70s to comment. I'm not sure we have any these days I'm afraid.

Yeah, I’m pretty sure my Dad took me to Billy Wrights last game I must have only been 5 or 6.
He was a big fan during those halcyon days, he passed away last November aged 97.

He was bit older than me. I'm 85. Billy Wright was a wonderful player. He would dribble himself out of trouble in the penalty area to applause. Totally masterful. Always cool-headed. For a centre half, he was on the short side, but he had a terrific jump on him + a keen sense of anticipation to compensate. Thanks for the memory.

More: Halcyon days indeed. The big noise came from what was then the North Bank. If they won the toss, Wolves would choose ends so that in the second half, they would be kicking towards the North Bank.

I grew up watching the Wolves during their golden years of the 50s. After that, decline. But teams like Manchester Utd, Spurs, Arsenal and later Liverpool, managed to turn themselves into regular fixtues of the upper levels of the old League Division One and then the Premiership. So what happened? I would be curious to get reactions to how I see it.

Cullis was a decent manager but he inherited a bunch of superior players from the mid to late 40s: notably Hancocks, Wilshaw, Wright, Williams. He never replaced them with players of the same quality. He was also unfortunate to lose Swinbourne to terminal injury. A big loss. But not only did he hurry Hancocks et al out of the door, he thought he had the ability to replace them. Evidently he didn't. The replacements were good enough to win an FA Cup in 1960, but from then on, decline. This is without commenting on the rather ordinary people who succeeded him in managing Wolves.

Thoughts, particularly from those who can match my own bewhiskered years.
I wasn't even born during the 50s but my dad watched Wolves frequently during this time, and I can still recall his thoughts and comments.

Cullis became manager in 1948 after being part of the time that narrowly missed out on the league title in 1946/47. It still took him 6 years to finally win that elusive title for Wolves in 1953/54 (after winning the FA Cup in 1949).

Wolves would go on to be champions again in 1957/58 and 1958/59 plus winning the FA Cup in 1960 with a team that Cullis totally rebuilt from the teams of the late 1940s/early 1950s - players like Ron Flowers, Peter Broadbent, Bill Slater, Malcolm Finlayson, Eddie Clamp, Norman Deeley, Jimmy Murray and Eddie Stuart. Dad always rated the late 50s side as better than that of the early 50s mostly because of 2 players - Flowers and Broadbent - which he always said were 2 of the best players ever to have played for Wolves.

As for saying Cullis "was a decent manager" is not giving him his deserved dues. There have been very few managers who have managed the same club and have been champions with effectively 2 different teams (prior to the advent of the greed league). He did replace Hancocks, Wilshaw, Wright, Williams - he just couldn't replace the players from the late 50s/early 60s, which ultimately led to his sacking in 1964 and the club's relegation in 1964/65.

Wolves were also blessed in the 40s and 50s as there was a wealth of local talent that they managed to draw on, in a time when clubs generally sourced their players locally.

Of course there are numerous reasons why Wolves have not enjoyed the success of the 50s, but, for me, Wolves have not been able to scale the heights again, unlike Man U, Spurs, Arsenal, Liverpool and Everton, because the game fundamentally changed in 1961 with the abolition of the £20 maximum wage that was being paid to players.

This invariably led to the wealthier clubs coming to dominate (Burnley won the title in 1960 ! before it came into affect) as the wealthy clubs could afford to buy and pay the best players which has become more pronounced over the years (and entrenched with the introduction of the greed league).

Since the 1970s you could argue the title has only been won by provincial clubs 4 times - Derby County (2), Nottingham Forest and Leicester City. I'd argue Wolves would be classified as a provincial club.

An interesting analysis. Yes, on consideration I am being a bit harsh on Stan. You are correct about local talent. Five of the players in the 48-49 cup team were either from Shropshire of Staffs (Williams, Pritchard, Shorthouse, Hancocks and Wright.) Stan emphasized stamina, so that the Wolves could outlast any team - which they did. Broadbent and Flowers conveyed some of the quality of the mid-50s teams. My view, though, is the the players who replaced Wright, Williams, Hancocks, Wilshaw, and Swinbourne were not of the same caliber: they were good, but not as good.

I like your analysis of what sorted out the elite teams from the rest. Back in the 50s, teams were much more on a level. Wolves a provincial club? Alas, yes.

Individually the players who replaced Wright, Williams, Hancocks, Wilshaw and Swinbourne were not as good, but they made a better team.

Dad always rated Finlayson as a top keeper. He always said he never played for Scotland as the Scottish selectors would never believe he was Scottish as Scottish keepers were all shite - something which has never changed.

In the late 50s Wolves scored 100+ goals in 4 consecutive seasons - I don’t think this has ever been matched.

My Grandad (sadly no longer with us) educated me on the great days when I was growing up. Billy Wright was naturally his favourite but Ron Flowers wasn't far behind and he took great pride in taking me to Ron's shop when I was little to meet the great man. And what a lovely bloke he was.

You are right: no team has even scored 100 in two successive seasons. Interesting about Finlayson; maybe I shortchanged him. Thanks.

Regarding Ron Flowers: He represents so much of the times. Not just the modesty but a Wolf for life. What play today stays with the same team for their professional career?

My Grandad (sadly no longer with us) educated me on the great days when I was growing up. Billy Wright was naturally his favourite but Ron Flowers wasn't far behind and he took great pride in taking me to Ron's shop when I was little to meet the great man. And what a lovely bloke he was.
I never saw him play but met him a number of times at the Oxley Golf Club when I was caddying for my dad where he always had time to talk to me about his playing days.

A wonderful person was Ron Flowers - a true gentleman.

I never saw him play but met him a number of times at the Oxley Golf Club when I was caddying for my dad where he always had time to talk to me about his playing days.

A wonderful person was Ron Flowers - a true gentleman.
Indeed. I always bought the cricket gear for our club from him simply because he was such a kind man. I could have probably got a better deal but Ron cared and I was more than happy to give him the business. Can you imagine a player with his playing record opening up a local sports shop, remaining humble and wanting to serve his customers from today's mob of overpaid primadonna's?

Different times indeed.

In my mind we’re living through the glory days, so it’s fun to hear perspective from someone who’s been following for much longer (and seen the ACTUAL golden years)

Not sure I have anything else to contribute! Will keep reading along, keep it coming

Interesting, when you said the golden years of course you are right, it was the 50s.

For me, however, I would say the golden years I experienced have been two key periods - either the period 1972-1977 including great cup runs and a League Cup win, but even that included a relegation followed by promotion, or other than that it has to be 2016-2024 as it started with a wonderful promotion followed by what has has been the longest sustained period of top flight football for a long time with Europe thrown in, as well as wonderful Neves goals and great cup games. Specifically of course the Nuno years, but potentially with Gary O'Neil continuing.

Don't get me wrong, has been many other good moments and periods - winning the League Cup 1980 and the Andy Gray season 1979-80, the wonderful Bully years of course and the Sherpa Van Final, the Dave Jones years and the wonderful promotion to the Premier League in 2003 at the Millenium Stadium, the Mad Mick promotion and great escape too, and not forgetting the renaissance under Kenny Jacket.

But those two key periods 1972-77 and 2016-2024 are my golden years, I honestly think I enjoyed the Nuno years as much as the Dougan/Waggy/Richards/Hibbitt/Munro/Bailey years in the 70s. Each to their own of course!

Are Utd, City, Liverpool Everton and Villa not provincial clubs?

But those two key periods 1972-77 and 2016-2024 are my golden years, I honestly think I enjoyed the Nuno years as much as the Dougan/Waggy/Richards/Hibbitt/Munro/Bailey years in the 70s. Each to their own of course!
I tend to agree. I appreciated the Nuno era far more than I did the early 70's period as I took that to be the norm for our team. Little did I know...

Indeed. I always bought the cricket gear for our club from him simply because he was such a kind man. I could have probably got a better deal but Ron cared and I was more than happy to give him the business. Can you imagine a player with his playing record opening up a local sports shop, remaining humble and wanting to serve his customers from today's mob of overpaid primadonna's?

Different times indeed.
I certainly agree with the sentiment, but have to mention someone similar who opened a sports shop after an illustrious career with Wolves, his one club.
Jimmy Mullen, who was from the same era, a gentleman softly spoken and always had a smile on his face.
The last time I met Ron was in Jimmy's shop where they were sitting in the back having a cup of tea. Jimmy invited me in to meet Ron and I listened to a conversation about their playing days. Wonderful.

Back