• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Incoming Transfers Everywhere Thread: Summer 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the context of what I thought would happen this window it's turned out better than expected.

And I'm much happier that we've got Hobbs making calls rather than mendes vicariously through Shi.

At least Hobbs is trying to put wolves first rather than his own pocket.

Yeah, and for once there’s a plan for when players leave with well scouted targets being their replacement.

The big risk is that a fairly inexperienced manager with young, inexperienced players could go one of two ways.

It’s been a complete clusterfuck of a summer - that’s impossible to argue against. I mean, we parted ways with our manager on the eve of a new season, having signed Matt Doherty & a third choice goalkeeper on free, ffs.

However, I also think it’s a fluid situation, and I’m pleased to acknowledge that we’ve got some bodies over the line in the final few days. It’s difficult to assess with too much accuracy right now whether it’s been a “good” or “bad” window, because none of us really know how good the players we’ve signed are. The Nunes/Neves sales have weakened our starting 11, but I think with the return of players like Sasa, Fabio & players like Gomes coming through, the overall balance of the squad looks fine on paper, and it seems capable of competing in/around mid-table if they’re managed properly. We seem to have 2 (and in some cases 3) options for most positions, and a number of our players are capable of playing in more than one role without too much of a drop off in quality, which looks like it’s been a tactic of ours for a while.

We definitely wanted (and probably needed) a new striker. I think, despite the criticism on here, even someone like Che Adams would have helped, as he has the ability to come on and keep up the aggressive press that it looks like GoN wants us to play. So to miss out on a forward is an obvious failure from the club.

Overall, I’m on the fence. I’m not happy with Fosun & Jeff Shi is still a clown. I’m not as bent out of shape as others that we didn’t spend millions & millions of £, as there’s always the opportunity to spend again in January if need be, and I think the players here deserve to show us what they can do - but I am disappointed we didn’t get a striker over the line.

I guess we need to all collectively take a deep breath and now get behind the players that are here (and the manager), to try and get us in to a reasonable position this side of Christmas/the new year when the transfer shenanigans start again.

I have no understanding whatsoever of FFP and all the other rigmaroles surrounding club finances in the prem, and frankly i'd rather water the garden than waste a second reaserching them.
What i do believe is that wolves finances are dictated solely atm, by the financial state of the Fosun group worldwide, which have been a bit tits up for a couple of years now, and have nothing in common with the financial setups of city and chelsea et al.
so, we were in deep diddy, sold a lot of older players and some who weren't good enough (collins), and got a bit of cash in the kitty.
Neves was sad to see, but inevitable, and that was that, but who knew, Nunes (mr 70%) would turn out to be Pep's love child, Huzzah!
So we now have some new signings, and ok nobody knows for real, but i like a bit of south america aggression, and from what little i have seen, i am excited and personally have got my glass of chateau wolves half full again.

I'm not really understanding how people can say it hasn't been a good window. We sold a player that didn't want to be here for a record fee and we got in some exciting young talent with it and made the squad stronger.

Other than maybe a striker what more can you really ask for with limited funds?
Because at least on paper the players we have brought in are punts at best.

Not one of them is a proven Premier league quality player.

Overall, I’m on the fence. I’m not happy with Fosun & Jeff Shi is still a clown.
I think it's clear Jeff has stepped back from making footballing decisions. Hobbs seems to in total control on that side.
Obviously jury out on him as his targets settle in but it has to be a good thing that Jeff has removed himself from side of the club.

Could just be with the limited budget he has removed himself so if it goes wrong he can say "not my fault bro" though.

We definitely wanted (and probably needed) a new striker. I think, despite the criticism on here, even someone like Che Adams would have helped, as he has the ability to come on and keep up the aggressive press that it looks like GoN wants us to play. So to miss out on a forward is an obvious failure from the club.
Strange things on forwards happened this week.

3 forwards with PL experience now in the Championship all expected to move this week. Plenty of clubs interested yet not a single one of them moved.

It used to be the case that we can only judge a window when it closes.

Now we can only judge a window when those players have played what? 10 games for us. :)

Do what you see fit.

I've only seen highlights of Bellegarde & I've never seen Bueno or Gonzalez so how could I possibly say if they are even good signings with any degree of accuracy so we'll see what we have when they actually play.

Only time will tell if it’s been a good window but at this moment I’m looking forward to watching the four new signings much more than the thought of watching Nunes disappoint, Traore frustrate, Raul struggle to get remotely close to the player he was and waiting for Collins’ inevitable clanger. How long my optimism lasts will probably be a good indicator of which league we’ll be in next season. Obviously not what I’d hoped for given the price of my ST but that’s where we are and for at least a few weeks I shall be travelling in hope.

Think this is spot on. We still over estimate the likes of Boubacar tbh, and even though I really rate JG he's sometimes spoken about as if he's been here a couple of years and really bossed the place. Conversely, whenever we're linked with the Dawsons of the world they're all shit.

I'm glad we at least have some more bodies in but quality-wise it's difficult to assess (Doyle obviously did pretty well a league down), and I still can't believe another window has shut with no striker.

Bellegarde has had a purple patch at the start of the French season this time (all of 3? games) but before that wasn't pulling up trees.

Excited to see them all in action though, especially Gonzalez.
When we were linked to Dawson under Lage he wasa lmost universally panned on here. Easy enough to find in the search function.

I'll wait and see with Bellegarde, mainly because I'm not sure on what his position will be, usually plays central from when I looked.

Because at least on paper the players we have brought in are punts at best.

Not one of them is a proven Premier league quality player.
Can't be many proven Premier League players that have signed for Wolves in the Fosun years? Been some talent come through the doors but outside of Dawson struggling to think of too many who've been there and done it over a prolonged period.

No they don't.

Lemina, Antonio, Reed, Dawson

All steady Prem players that would cost nowhere near that. There are dozens more.

I thought you meant recognised as good PL players not just people who'd played in the PL. 100% of your list were sneered at on here when the news of interest was released. 3 of them are the wrong side of 30, 2 by a fair bit.

I could pull up a list of the 100+ posts where people on this forum claimed none of these improved us.

No but we've signed players that have played in or at comparative levels - Neves, Jota, Boly, Moutinho, Patricio, Jonny

Can't say the same for Doyle, Bellegarde or Enso though. They're punts.

No, but we've signed players that have played in or at comparative levels - Neves, Jota, Boly, Moutinho, Patricio, Jonny

Can't say the same for Doyle, Bellegarde or Enso though. They're punts.

But none of them were proven PL players?

Veron was one of the best players in the world but was shocking for United & Chelsea. Crespo, Shevchenko. The list goes on.

But none of them were proven PL players?

Veron was one of the best players in the world but was shocking for United & Chelsea. Crespo, Shevchenko. The list goes on.
Players who operate at the top level in other leagues are far more likely to succeed than young players playing in France or South America, no?

You're also using examples from 15-20 years ago.

Wait 90% of this forum celebrated Doherty leaving 3 years ago?

Wtf have I walked into here lol.

A great stalwart and dare I say it....

Underrated.

Players who operate at the top level in other leagues are far more likely to succeed than young players playing in France or South America, no?

You're also using examples from 15-20 years ago.

See Jadon Sancho, Coutinho, Depay for recent examples. .

One of them is English, should be an easy transition for him?

Players who come from Serie A generally struggle in the PL. You'd expect Veron would be miles better than Kante based on their CV at signing but it doesn't work like that.

I believe it should be evaluated on each individual case, because someone highly technical with no pace would be fine in most European leagues but struggle over here.

See Jadon Sancho, Coutinho, Depay for recent examples. .

One of them is English, should be an easy transition for him?

Players who come from Serie A generally struggle in the PL. You'd expect Veron would be miles better than Kante based on their CV at signing but it doesn't work like that.

I believe it should be evaluated on each individual case, because someone highly technical with no pace would be fine in most European leagues but struggle over here.
I'll ask again.

Moutinho, Boly, Neves and Jota were/are more likely to succeed rather than Bellegarde, Enso or Doyle, given their pedigree and the level they'd been operating at, no?

Are you disputing that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back