• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Incoming Transfers Everywhere Thread: Summer 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well that's what you said

"No, I wouldn't just assume a player is better than another just because of what league they've played in."

You probably should leave it there, as it's a bloody ridiculous statement.

League not division.

I'm curious. If say West Ham or Palace, who finished with similar points totals last season, lost a few key players and replaced them with Bellegarde, Bueno, González & Doyle would anyone on here be looking at them thinking they'd had a successful transfer window?

I'm curious. If say West Ham or Palace, who finished with similar points totals last season, lost a few key players and replaced them with Bellegarde, Bueno, González & Doyle would anyone on here be looking at them thinking they'd had a successful transfer window?

I mean, we didn’t lose a few key players - we lost one, maybe two at a push when considering Nunes’ talent and reputation.

On the face of it no. If we had decided we have cash, will spend it and signed the same players then we would be very underwhelmed indeed.
Just like Matt Hobbs and his different transfer plans we have had to adapt on what to expect.

If we knew West Ham's owners were being dicks....then maybe...actually no we would laugh at them.

Last edited:
I don't think they would have made themselves demonstrably worse.

But I also think it's worth noting that the snap judgements on both sides are totally moot; I think all of us, to a man/woman, thought West Ham had pulled off a fairly stunning coup by bringing in Seb Haller. How'd that go?

West ham is an interesting case. I've no idea why they are being lauded as transfer winners when on the face of it their business looks similar to ours.

Lost their best player. Replaced him with 2 inferior footballers and signed a pretty expensive punt in Kudus.

Not arguing either is successful but perception currently is miles apart.

West ham is an interesting case. I've no idea why they are being lauded as transfer winners when on the face of it their business looks similar to ours.

Lost their best player. Replaced him with 2 inferior footballers and signed a pretty expensive punt in Kudus.

They’ve had a cracking start to the season I suppose. I wouldn’t have had him here but in fairness to JWP he has hit the ground running for West Ham.

Our business is best judged over 2023 as a whole. We brought in the known quantities in Jan and have added depth/ potential yesterday.

Nobody in the league had as impactful a window as us in January.

They’ve had a cracking start to the season I suppose. I wouldn’t have had him here but in fairness to JWP he has hit the ground running for West Ham.
They have had a cracking start, but I still think they are Pacqueta and Antonio injuries away from being a bottom half team again.

Blast that 😂 into the sun, the most passively aggressive thing to exist on social media

I agree that it’s not sustainable to continually lose money. There aren’t many years in the last twenty years that Wolves have made a profit.

Many posters seem to expect Fosun to invest in the club every window.

I’m sure that after buying Wolves, Fosun expected to put money into the club so that the club does well enough to generate the level of income to become self-sufficient. Perhaps they under estimated how much or how long it would take. They certainly wouldn’t have planned for their bigger financial problems. They might be prepared to invest more when their financial position improves.

Wolves seem a long way from being a self-sufficient PL club at the moment. The recent player sales and purchases offer a glimmer of hope in that direction.
I'm surprised at the lack of flipping players in the fosun era. I felt certain that being in bed with Mendes, we'd have seen much more of it.

As far as player trading goes, we've been pretty bad at it. The danger is doing a Southampton where you run out of talent to sell and recruitment is poor.

The obvious clubs to emulate are Brighton and Brentford, Palace to a lesser degree. Further afield the RB stable of clubs are also setting the tone for how to constantly improve a football club.

Wolves have held on to assets for too long under Fosun. There's a happy medium to be found though and recruitment is key. Wolves need to find that sweet spot.

Last edited:
Wolves have held on to assets for too long under Fosun. There's a happy medium to be found though and recruitment id key. Wolves need to find that sweet spot.

Perhaps shifting Nunes was the perfect piece of business then. Invest the cash in players who should improve, rinse and repeat.

I’m actually excited by Doyle, there’s a quality player there

Players who operate at the top level in other leagues are far more likely to succeed than young players playing in France or South America, no?

You're also using examples from 15-20 years ago.
Certain leagues have more physicality than others so there's more to it than just top level in other leagues. Hardly any Italians make it in England regardless of the prestige of team they play for.

The French league and South America at least have the physicality to match the EPL, a good player from there has every chance of hitting the ground running unlike alot of the Portugeezers we have purchased

Certain leagues have more physicality than others so there's more to it than just top level in other leagues. Hardly any Italians make it in England regardless of the prestige of team they play for.

The French league and South America at least have the physicality to match the EPL, a good player from there has every chance of hitting the ground running unlike alot of the Portugeezers we have purchased
These don't, I promise you.

I would clearly have had JWP here..box to box midfielder with set pieces skills..

Uruguay for example have exported many, and have always played with a bite to their game, Argentina the same no?
No.

MLS has invested in a lot of players from the South American leagues in the last decade; by and large they are completely unprepared for the physicality of MLS and spend more time whining to the refs than contributing to play during their first seasons. They are used to referees giving fouls for even the slightest amount of contact.

Scouts that export from these leagues to Europe may simply only take the best.

Our business is best judged over 2023 as a whole. We brought in the known quantities in Jan and have added depth/ potential yesterday.

Nobody in the league had as impactful a window as us in January.
Not really, we've had a manager change caused by the actions of the club during the window closed yesterday.

Judging this window on its own should include that hugely important piece of information.

West Ham first XI players out: Rice, Scamacca, Vlasic
Players in: Mavropanos, Alvarez, JWP, Kudus

Total profit £18m

Wolves first XI players out: Neves Nunes
Players In: Doyle, Gonzales, Bellegarde, Bueno

Total profit £130m

West Ham business has been sensational compared to ours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back