• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The January 2024 "Will we actually sign a striker or just Che Adams/Kieffer Moore" Transfer Thread

That's ultimately the answer and gets you to the place where you expect news like today rather than feel let down by it.

I think South America is a good option at this time of year but no rumours whatsoever. What about the striker from Flamengo that Pitbull played with and rates? I cannot remember his name.

I think South America is a good option at this time of year but no rumours whatsoever. What about the striker from Flamengo that Pitbull played with and rates? I cannot remember his name.
It’s almost like we’ve set up a scouting network in the UK & are now ignoring the rest of the world. Unless we’re saying there’s not a suitable forward option available anywhere else that’s more affordable or better than Broja, Ings or Che Adams. I’ve no idea what they’re doing tbh.

Re; Jota. Not sure how we afford his wages or what’s happened there - but it looks like he’s not settled at all. Just the one goal since joining and barely played. They paid £25m to Celtic for him didn’t they?

Judging by Lemina, Dawson, Gomes, Sarabia, Cunha and Doyle in the last 12 months the recruitment team have done a very good job. Plenty of time for Bellegarde to improve too. Dia came out of the blue at the end of the last window (if there was funds for that where are…….) so maybe something/one will turn up.

Judging by Lemina, Dawson, Gomes, Sarabia, Cunha and Doyle in the last 12 months the recruitment team have done a very good job. Plenty of time for Bellegarde to improve too. Dia came out of the blue at the end of the last window (if there was funds for that where are…….) so maybe something/one will turn up.
Very hopeful. The owners don't give a shit

I think the funds are there but the need for a centre forward has reduced. Hwang, Cunha and Neto have all been far better this season and Sarabia and Bellegarde have chipped in. As we are to all intents and purposes safe from relegation they’re in the position to drive a hard bargain and happy to walk away if we don’t get the deal we want.

We’re running Cunha into the ground, he’ll end up like Doyle if we carry on as we are. We need to have an alternative able to be brought on after 60 to 70 mins. Plus relying on 4 players for 3 places in crazy - Cunha was very close to being sent off last match. What would we do if he was? Start Fraser against Albion and Utd?

We’re running Cunha into the ground, he’ll end up like Doyle if we carry on as we are. We need to have an alternative able to be brought on after 60 to 70 mins. Plus relying on 4 players for 3 places in crazy - Cunha was very close to being sent off last match. What would we do if he was? Start Fraser against Albion and Utd?
I agree that we need to be able to sub Cunha. GO obviously didn’t want Sasa or Silva, maybe Fraser will get a few run outs. Sadly staying up seems to be all that matters this year so they’re not overly bothered. It’s almost like they are now more bothered about getting as much headroom for spending in the future - maybe makes the club more attractive to potential buyers.

I agree that we need to be able to sub Cunha. GO obviously didn’t want Sasa or Silva, maybe Fraser will get a few run outs. Sadly staying up seems to be all that matters this year so they’re not overly bothered. It’s almost like they are now more bothered about getting as much headroom for spending in the future - maybe makes the club more attractive to potential buyers.
We're clearly trying to run as lean as possible, thats only usually done to attract a buyer. You only need to look at the state of the ground to see all budgets have been slashed, its a shit hole.

We're clearly trying to run as lean as possible, thats only usually done to attract a buyer. You only need to look at the state of the ground to see all budgets have been slashed, its a shit hole.
Time will tell, it could just be a case of they want to create a buffer as we came too close the breaching FFP for comfort. If so they’ll see now as the perfect time to do so as the fear of relegation isn’t there.

Time will tell, it could just be a case of they want to create a buffer as we came too close the breaching FFP for comfort. If so they’ll see now as the perfect time to do so as the fear of relegation isn’t there.
A few thousand is neither here nor there for FFP. In fact I'm not even sure maintenance budgets would be included.

A few thousand is neither here nor there for FFP. In fact I'm not even sure maintenance budgets would be included.
They aren't, infrastructure spend is excluded. As you alluded to the reason nothing is done to the ground is because there's no material value to be added by doing so, just cost.

After a meeting with the Wolves hierarchy on Tuesday, O’Neil has admitted the club’s ability to bring in top targets has worsened as they are priced out by parent clubs.

He said: “A lot of work was going into trying to recruit a certain type and it’s now been made clear financially that we can’t afford that type.

“So that search stops and we look at other options.

“If something comes up, which it might do, that I believe will improve us and can be done with the financial restraints we have, then we will. But at this moment, the ones we thought we could do, we can’t afford.”

O’Neil added: “The financial side of why, I’m not 100 per cent clear on. Financial fair play or the position of the club financially, but it’s just clear we still need to be very, very careful and even more careful than we thought when I spoke to you guys last week about the targets we were looking at.

Back