• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Transfer Thread 2023/24 - Everything Not Wolves

Deutsch Wolf

aka Dawn
Reaction score
Fixtures are out so new threads ahoy.

Kyle Walker is in talks with Bayern. Bad news for Sheff Utd who were supposedly "interested" in him.

Fixtures are out so new threads ahoy.

Kyle Walker is in talks with Bayern. Bad news for Sheff Utd who were supposedly "interested" in him.
Good move for him, nice to see he has maintained a good standard - thought he was done as year or so ago.

Cancelo will be an interesting one. Bayern aren't keeping him and Pep doesn't want him.

Got to give Pep his due - he's very good at moving players on and not being sentimental.

Ziyech, Koulibaly & Edouard Mendy joining Ruben over in Saudi.

Saw some stuff about the minority stake in Chelsea supposedly being held by a shell company which is likely Saudi-controlled. If true then that one looks like a fairly substantial FFP favour.

Ziyech never really settled, Koulibaly looked wretched, Mendy… well they weren’t playing him, anyway.

Big names but on footballing grounds they’re less weird transfers than Neves’, IMO.

Saw some stuff about the minority stake in Chelsea supposedly being held by a shell company which is likely Saudi-controlled. If true then that one looks like a fairly substantial FFP favour.
If that is true that's a breach of the rules. Newcastle and Chelsea would be in the shit.

Would it be any different to some of our dealings with Grasshoppers? Obviously the sums involved are very different, but the material issue is similar

You can't have a stake in two clubs in the same League, can you?

Sorry I'd misread the contention there; I thought the argument was that Chelsea getting transfer fees from Saudi clubs while they're part-owned by Saudi clubs, hence my Grasshoppers comparison.

I'd not considered the link between the Saudis that own Newcastle and the Saudis that partly own Chelsea. Presume they've got enough of an 'on paper' distance to make the links acceptable, even though we all know that all the roads lead back to the same man/family

It’s turning into a right mess with so much money involved from hidden sources. A Saudi link to Chelsea certainly makes their pursuit of so many players more understandable. It’s getting to the point where I wish those that want to play “my pockets are deeper than your pockets” games would just piss off and leave the rest of the football world to play on a more level playing field. Just make sure any player joining the Arab Superleague can never return to domestic leagues and let them crack on.

It’s turning into a right mess with so much money involved from hidden sources. A Saudi link to Chelsea certainly makes their pursuit of so many players more understandable. It’s getting to the point where I wish those that want to play “my pockets are deeper than your pockets” games would just piss off and leave the rest of the football world to play on a more level playing field. Just make sure any player joining the Arab Superleague can never return to domestic leagues and let them crack on.
Salary caps are the only way forward now.

Salary caps are the only way forward now.
I’m inclined to agree. Good luck trying to enforce them though. Every Chelsea player will have an offshore account receiving payments from Saudi.

Jorge a busy man at the moment

Has offered Ramos to Bayern (ending Johnny's dreams of having him at Wolves)
Got a deal for Bernardo Silva in Saudi. He also has an offer from PSG and a fake money one from Barca

Charlotte are apparently buying tickets to the Bobby Firmino sweepstakes.

Don’t get my hopes up, Tepper, you snake.

Back