• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 0-1 Bournemouth: Verdict Thread

Just got in, what a shit show that first half was, I was shocked at how much better Bournemouth were than us, pretty much every aspect of the game.
Tactics, set up, individually, energy. Probably the worst we've played all season, certainly of the games we've been to. Doyle and Sarabia particularly poor. Lemina and Gomes spent the entire half fire fighting. Kilman was good till the brain fart that cost us the goal. Sa made some excellent save to keep us in it.
The way we tried to play out from the back was appalling, roll the ball out to Santi, dither on the ball, pass it round Semedo just as he's getting closed down, dither on the ball, end up isolated with no out ball available. Felt a bit sorry for Hwang, for all the flack he gets about his touch, pretty much all the balls he received were up round his ears while isolated against 2 CBs.
The only positive was we were only 1 down.
Second half we were much better, the introduction of Chirewa, Bouba and ( can't believe I'm saying this) Doc gave us more energy and galvanised us to push Bournemouth back.
Every goal we've scored this season I've held my breathe waiting for a var intervention, till tonight, it didn't enter my head it would get chalked off.
Having seen the replays now I'm home, it's an absolute joke, those hand offs happen multiple times per game and never get called a foul.

Sorry for the long post, I'm pissed off.

I could talk about how badly we were set up from kick off

I could talk about how for not for the first, second or third time GON fails to recognise that when anyone else can see it after 5 mins and fails to change it until we've conceded the inevitable goal

I could talk about the increasing parallels with the Lage season and although there are mitigating factors which mean I don't think it'll carry through to the next season like it did with him it still worries me

I could talk about individual player performances, like Santi Bueno's complete inability to defend one on one, or Sa single handedly keeping us in the match in the first half

I cba to do any of that though because the PL/PGMOL are killing my love of the game as a match going fan. I've not seen the 'goal' back, I doubt I will, but the ref and the linesman saw nothing wrong with it live, yet it's called back and ruled out. As the South Bank sang "It's not football anymore" and I'm losing interest.

Last edited:

I could talk about how for not for the first, second or third time GON fails to recognise that when anyone else can see it after 5 mins and fails to change it until we've conceded the inevitable goal

I could talk about the increasing parallels with the Lage season and although there are mitigating factors which mean I don't think it'll carry through to the next season like it did with him it still worries me

I could talk about individual player performances, like Santi Bueno's complete inability to defend one on one, or Sa single handely keeping us in the match in the first half

I cba to do any of that though because the PL/PGMOL are killing my love of the game as a match going fan. I've not seen the 'goal' back, I doubt I will, but the ref and the linesman saw nothing wrong with it live, yet it's called back and ruled out. As the South Bank sang "It's not football anymore" and I'm losing interest.
You should look at it, however it’ll make you feel worse.

Nice of Sarabia to drop another 2/10 performance, but to act as cheerleader because we weren't doing enough.

Incredibly bad decision. How officials can think that is a foul by Cunha is actually beyond belief. Maybe in the heat of the moment, but that has to be the worst call we've had this season, which takes some doing. Perhaps alongside Cairney not getting touched but getting a penalty. It's up there anyway.

However, I really don't like that this will overshadow what an abysmal display we just saw. To his credit, O'Neil isn't doing that, but it will happen.

We were absolutely battered. Physically we couldn't get near them. Tactically we were a step behind.

We deserved to lose by a few at home to Bournemouth. That's a concern. We need a lot of work this summer to get a competitive squad, but it's not going to happen.

We were shite but we were also cost a point by an awful decision both can be and are true.
Even if we'd got a point, we would rightly be spitting bullets about the turgid performance.

That's a hell of a lot of hamstring injuries now isn't it?

Neto x 2
Cunha
Hwang
Bueno
Bellegarde(?)

There are more I'm sure.

Here he is - Mr Excuse
Bit disingenuous this,
He said there too many individual errors...there were.
Said he needed to go home and look at himself...he does.
Wouldn't blame VAR......that's the right attitude
He did say there was nothing wrong with the structure.. absolute bollocks of course.
Overall I wouldnt say that was 'Mr Excuse'

Bit disingenuous this,
He said there too many individual errors...there were.
Said he needed to go home and look at himself...he does.
Wouldn't blame VAR......that's the right attitude
He did say there was nothing wrong with the structure.. absolute bollocks of course.
Overall I wouldnt say that was 'Mr Excuse'
I've not seen the interviews yet. I've just sat through a rerun of the game on Danish TV. I don't know why I do it to myself.

But Gary doesn't have to mention the previous coach at all does he? He left in August. It's May next week FFS. It has no relevance to anything.

I've not seen the interviews yet. I've just sat through a rerun of the game on Danish TV. I don't know why I do it to myself.

But Gary doesn't have to mention the previous coach at all does he? He left in August. It's May next week FFS. It has no relevance to anything.
The quote was from yesterdays press conference by the looks of it. Presumably he's been asked a question and that was part of the answer. It didn't sound like an excuse but more like a fairly obvious statement of the facts.

Was there really only 25.5k there tonight? I know Bournemouth's support was shit and there were a few gaps in the Steve Bull lower, but that's a lot of empty seats.

Not blaming anyone at all by the way. Kind of glad if it was.

Just back (M6 S closed - love it). Holy fck that was terrible. Almost everything that sucks about watching Wolves / football in the modern age in one fell swoop. On the plus side, maybe Mike Burrows can now answer his own question of why Kilman is overlooked for England without having to ask a panel of journalists. The podcast debates on whether this team is better than 2018/19 did actually happen didn’t they? Good god.

As for the VAR… that whole incident took place right in front of me and I had no idea at all that anything dubious might have happened. What a fiasco.

Attwell and VAR saved the players tonight from the crowd reaction that should have been aimed at them.
I’ve seen many, many worse Wolves sides and an equal number of poor performances, but that’s Top 20 in terms of set up, approach and application at the top level.
The officiating (and I’m including VAR) doesn’t get a free pass though. We have six season tickets in a group of which three are mine. One left early saving he’d had enough as VAR sucked what little enjoyment there was in the game out of it and two confirmed they will not be renewing next season as they were ‘done’ with football. Both have had ST’s since the 80s and have been going since the 70s.
It’s not like the back to back relegations of the 80s, the Hoddle bores or slapstick Connor/Saunders era either as you still cared about Wolves despite others seemingly trying to take that away from you. This is more about football and your enjoyment of watching Wolves being taken away because we are part of a broken game.

I could talk about individual player performances, like Santi Bueno's complete inability to defend one on one, or Sa single handedly keeping us in the match in the first half

Exactly this, I get the "let's not have VAR distract from a shit performance", and that's true to an extent, but what does any of it matter, amazing or shit, when the game is won or lost on the whim if someone 100 miles away making decisions he had no business getting involved with.

Stuart Attwell who as VAR adjudged the "soft headbutt" against Fulham wasnt a sending off is the same referee who went to the screen last night and agreed that there was enough force from Cunha to constitute a clear and obvious error to disallow the goal.

Make it make sense.

Off the ball incidents are going to being looked at from now on are they? Even taking away the fact the Bournemouth player pushes Cunha, even after the flailing arm, he isn't impeded in any way as he then harries Semedo and puts a challenge in on Doherty. Darren England was also on duty for the Tottenham Liverpool debacle earlier in the season and our recent game against West Ham.

Regardless of the VAR abomination on the 'equaliser', like at West Ham if we had gained that point it would have been undeserved but then that's not the point (pardon the pun). Their press was so hard in the first half we struggled to get past the halfway line and but for a series of fine one handed saves from Sa they would have been out of sight by half time.

The performance was very flat and only came alive when anger started to take hold with chants of 'Nuno was right, Attwell's shite', 'Premier League, corrupt as fuck' and 'its not football anymore'.

What had been a promising season not too long ago is now becoming a dreadful end to the season, feels like we may not get another point, expecting Luton on Saturday to be much the same then Palace being the other home game, they are coming into some form under Glasner. That leaves away games against title chasing City and Liverpool's Klopp Farewell Tour which its hard to see us getting anything from either.

I imagine the Bournemouth fans came last night looking to compare the respective managers and consider whether they made the right decision last summer and on that performance they would absolutely think they did, the difference between O'Neil and Iraola was stark last night.

Dreadful all round

Back