• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 0-1 Bournemouth: Verdict Thread

Aye, the Bournemouth DoF will definitely be giving himself a pat on the back this morning. The organisation, coordinated pressing, and quality in the ball was night and day

Obviously Saturday isn’t a ‘must win’ as we’re safe but for O’Neill to regain any credibility it needs to be, the dogged backs to the wall performance against Arsenal aside I’ve been watching last night’s performance for a while now.

Worst performance of the season first half, just when you think you can see the quality of the likes of Doyle and Gomes against better opposition, big strong teams like Bournemouth simply blow them away. It was draining and almost disturbing to see just how good they looked against us, and ironically, it was simply the physique and fight of Traore and Tawanda that changed the game back in our favour. Sarabia is surely finished as he cannot handle premier League physicality.

Not sure what O'Neil is thinking in playing Lemina so deeply, that clearly doesn't work nor does the passing out from the back.

Sa made several superb saves, and Doherty played well when he came on.

The disallowed goal was literally the worst decision I have ever seen, and that is saying something, and I would like to see the offside goal again. Very tight.

All in all, very poor night, very frustrating 1st half performance, dreadful level of officiating and VAR is undoubtedly killing the game. I can't wait for the season to finish to be honest, and it seems a gate of 25,000 suggests that others feel the same. The North Bank looked 15% empty from the South Bank. May that come as a strong reminder to the clubs hierarchy just how deep the underlying feeling of discontent with their management of the season actually is. ST pricing may be a final nail in the coffin!

You feel like a prisoner, hate VAR, hate the way the game is going, but love WWFC.

Having reflected on last night my more measured opinion is we are fucking shite.

Not having the blame put on players, injuries, tiredness etc - its was a terrible setup, terrible formation, and terrible defensive organisation. Fuck VAR but thats to be expected, what should not be excepted or accepted is the continual pathetic defence.

There were spaces in every stand, lots in the South Bank too, presumably sths who didn't attend. Jeff won't care he's still got their money

I do get the feeling we won't be looking at the usual 95% renewal rate in the Summer, and they'll have to dig into to the second half of the 'waiting list' to sell them out

I do get the feeling we won't be looking at the usual 95% renewal rate in the Summer, and they'll have to dig into to the second half of the 'waiting list' to sell them out
If the 11k ever existed they don't now. There's someone who posts on here, maybe White Wolf, who gets offered one every year and doesn't take it. Unless renewals are light by 4k plus I think they'll find enough which would be 20% or thereabouts. My view based on zero knowledge is we might start to see more sharing of tickets rather than people giving up as such, certainly a few by me doing that.

25,541 is our lowest Prem gate for a long time, must be since we came back up? Covid aside?

Maybe since we were already relegated under Connor?

Terrible performance.
VAR strikes again.
Doc, Traore and Chirewa did well when they came on. Particularly pleased for the young lad who was much more involved.
Hope the fans get better entertainment on Saturday considering how much they have been fleeced this season

I didn't watch or listen last night so cannot comment too much on the performance. By all accounts we were shite and deserved nothing which is not great surprise. I know we have a lot of injuries but the way that our season has collapsed from the Coventry match onwards is piss poor.

I have seen some footage of the disallowed goal and it's a bit of a joke. Every goal that is scored now has VAR looking for a reason to disallow it which is not how football should be. I think a lot of fans are starting to get fed up with it and, combined with our poor form, it's no suprise there where plenty of empty seats last night.

Also, as someone else mentioned I didn't think VAR could lead to a yellow card - as it did with Cunha?

Or was he booked for dissent?

Or am I totally wrong in the first instance?

I remember us having a goal disallowed under Lage where Raul handled it in the build up and they booked him after but I can’t remember if we found out after they shouldn’t have done that

3 home games in a week, no opposition fans, lack of form/injuries, pricing, live matches on the tele. There's a number of factors.
Oh of course there are factors, but let's hope they're ringing alarms in Shi's office.

I doubt it though, as they'll just apply those factors, rather than looking at all those seasons under Jones, McCarthy, Connor, Lage etc where we never got a crowd like that.

Also, as someone else mentioned I didn't think VAR could lead to a yellow card - as it did with Cunha?

Or was he booked for dissent?

Or am I totally wrong in the first instance?
VAR can't stop the game for a yellow card. The ref can give one if he sees something as a result of a VAR check. Diving for an overturned penalty being the most obvious example

It's just so fucking depressing.

Of course it's impossible to say with any certainty, but just a punt on Brereton Diaz, Fofana or (I'd be less confident about) Broja would surely have seen us beat Coventry and pick up 2 or 3 more points since then.

A win against Coventry would have changed the whole vibe of the end of this season.

Instead we are here, ending the season like a wet fart questioning every aspect of everything and playing in front of dismal (relative) attendances.

And for what? So we could save a couple of million quid, which we'd have gained most/more back in gate receipts and/or league position prize money anyway?

The logic is just so flawed.

Back