• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves Academy Thread

That's got to be disappointing for the academy in general. Not that anyone has a right to win anything but given the differences in resources available you'd expect us to do better.

Red card for Ty Barnett and now it's 4-1
We've been atrocious 2nd half. Hesketh and Whittngham particularly bad to go with Pond and Voice.

They have a good centre forward and central midfielder and it would be churlish to say they haven't played well 2nd half but we have been as poor as I've seen us this season.

They can all player better than that. One thing might be that the u21 lineups change a lot throughout the season so the amount of game time they have together isn't maybe where it needs to be......if I'm being kind.

From my personal point of view Richard Walker is a much better coach than James Collins. I wonder if he could be promoted at some point.

From my personal point of view Richard Walker is a much better coach than James Collins. I wonder if he could be promoted at some point.
That's fair, I've never been that impressed by Collins. Don't know much about Walker but his U18's play some impressive stuff.

They can all player better than that. One thing might be that the u21 lineups change a lot throughout the season so the amount of game time they have together isn't maybe where it needs to be......if I'm being kind.
That's very kind Andy.

Don't know who he's throwing under the bus, or whether it's just delection from himself, but not a positive line

It's not a good interview on the whole and as a coach he should take responsibility not his young players.

He did nothing to change things when Sunderland did and he persisted with trying to play it from deep with 2 head it and kick it centre backs who can't do it.

He picked a powderpuff midfield and kept his wide men wide, which on the whole didn't work.

I think he's having a particular go at Ty Barnett for getting sent off which is a real shitty thing to do as it was a clumsy second yellow at worst.

I can't take to Collins at all, comes across as an arrogant prick.

He did nothing to change things when Sunderland did and he persisted with trying to play it from deep with 2 head it and kick it centre backs who can't do it.
I'm not sure I've watched Caden Voice before other than *that* challenge (still got mixed feelings on us sticking by him, young kid or not) but I have watched Alfie Pond and asking him to play the ball out is just daft, he's much more Paul Butler than Paul McGrath. Concentrate on what they can do, not what they can't.

Rewind 20 years or so and look at two of England's best centre halves. Rio Ferdinand and Jamie Carragher. Why would you ask the latter to play like the former, it would be ridiculous, he can't do it. He's a superb defender, leave him to do that. Not keen on a one size fits all approach at youth level, you should be able to spot where a player sits by their late teens. In fact Pond is 20, not sure what they think he's going to turn into from here.

I'm not sure I've watched Caden Voice before other than *that* challenge (still got mixed feelings on us sticking by him, young kid or not) but I have watched Alfie Pond and asking him to play the ball out is just daft, he's much more Paul Butler than Paul McGrath. Concentrate on what they can do, not what they can't.

Rewind 20 years or so and look at two of England's best centre halves. Rio Ferdinand and Jamie Carragher. Why would you ask the latter to play like the former, it would be ridiculous, he can't do it. He's a superb defender, leave him to do that. Not keen on a one size fits all approach at youth level, you should be able to spot where a player sits by their late teens. In fact Pond is 20, not sure what they think he's going to turn into from here.
Pond is definitely a Lg1/ Champ CB. Got good size and decent mobility but nowhere near technically. Voice just looks a bit shit to me but 🤷

I agree with you on the coaching approach and I get it as it's very much a French/ Dutch/ German youth style and it's difficult to argue with their youth products over the last decade or so but at some point you have to focus on a players strengths.

Pond is definitely a Lg1/ Champ CB. Got good size and decent mobility but nowhere near technically. Voice just looks a bit shit to me but 🤷
Why couldn't he get a game at Stockport then, just a bad fit from Davis?

Hasn't Voice only recently moved back, wasn't he a CM before, so maybe learning the position?

Stockport are a properly good team at that level, if I drew a parallel it would be like when we had Carlton Cole on loan in 2002 when he was still learning his game and we weren't exactly blown away because if all our forwards were fit, he wouldn't even make the bench. Didn't mean he was a no-hoper as shown by him going on to score 50+ PL goals which is no mean feat.

A poor move, cracking club that I have a lot of time for personally, but he was always unlikely to get minutes.

Why couldn't he get a game at Stockport then, just a bad fit from Davis?

Hasn't Voice only recently moved back, wasn't he a CM before, so maybe learning the position?
No idea on Stockport, difficult to argue they needed him given their success.

I've seen both Voice and Pond play in that defensive midfield slot when Collins tried 4-3-3. Both were ok but Pond is defensively a CB.

Voice is only 17 so has room to get better but I just don't see it with him at all.

Farmer playing for Rushall tonight in the Walsall Senior Cup final which is why he didn't yesterday

Both Pond and Collins referring to "individuals" and lack of team ethos.

An honest and critical interview, he'll soon have that coached out of him!

Back