• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Aston Villa 2-0 Wolves: Verdict Thread

Cresswell was hand-in-hand with Lopetegui wasn't he. As Tetchy of Tettenhall decided he didn't like RAN and had decided Jonny was done, in which case we needed someone else there.

Once he'd gone I don't think we were remotely interested.
That link died with his desire to work with Jeff.

Very odd player for him to agree was an OK signing based on the budget. Guess he trusted Hobbs after Dawson. Even odder after he waved Doc through and still trusted him.

At the point at which RAN missed (well, hit the keeper) they'd offered virtually nothing and we'd had about 70% of the ball. Not a huge stretch to say we might have had a good shout of protecting that lead as Villa didn't play well and we could have sat in a bit more. We had the higher xG across the game whichever source you look at.

Once they went 1-0 up we were always unlikely to get back into it with a front three of a career defensive midfielder, a wide player who has scored 3 (one a penalty) for us in his 15 months at the club and an 18 year old on debut. And 2-0 killed it.
Villa were on top for quite a while before they scored. My lad messaged about three minutes before they did to say we needed to get to half time and reset. Who knows what would have happened if RAN had scored. Without Neto and Cunha we offered no counter threat if they had thrown caution to the wind.

It was a personnel issue. We went 1-0 down at Stamford Bridge through their first attack of any note but with Neto and Cunha both on the pitch that was no way a write-off.

Yesterday, we just didn't have enough goals or quality in the team. Tough at 0-0, very tough at 0-1 and gone at 0-2.

We actually played some decent stuff on the whole. But if Matt Doherty is your most likely source of a goal in 2024 you are where you are.

Adams, Broja, Brownhill, Cresswell, whilst obviously we've signed none of them it's concerning that we have been heavily linked with all of them at some point under Hobbs.

I think you could add Bellegarde & Bueno to that as well. I think we've overpaid for what we've got there.

We had one decent chance all game, Villa had a number and were by far the better side. Pretending two incidents cost us a point is doing some seriously heavy lifting.
Not pretending anything. It's a fact that had RAN scored, the rest of the game is different...

No matter how much better Villa were (they weren't in the first half), they managed one good goal and one total fluke.

Maybe you should stop pretending there was a massive gulf in terms of performance.

Villa were visibly the better team in the second half and probably were in the ascendency as soon as they scored...

Which just goes to show how important scoring goals is. Villa's first goal tangibly and demonstrably proves this...

Pretending that had RAN scored, the outcome of the game may not have been completely different is bull shit and you know it is, we all know it is.

I think you could add Bellegarde & Bueno to that as well. I think we've overpaid for what we've got there.
I don't mind Santi, he has a way to go but he really does not benefit from playing alongside Captain Wow who is a far bigger issue.

Bellegarde is a player signed for a shape and style we no longer play and will not play any time soon, I'd happily accept any bid where we get most of our money back.

Back