• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

bolton wanderers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krimzon_1

Reaction score
Never knew you hated us so much ( i understood we werent well liked by you lot ) , but ive just seen a discussion about the two Wanderers and came across this , which I thought was quite good , obviously biased on our side but it mentions a couple of games I cant even remember and hints to the start of the hostilities.

Im not sure about this Wolves thing....

Apparently one of the greatest games ever was the cup semi against them in the 50's ....Sir Nat said he didnt see the ball for half an hour their pressure was so intense , with Billy wright et al pummeling us but we won.

I know we got spanked in the 4th twice as they were on the up with a young Steve Bull in the team and they sluiced the division by a mile and then did the same tihng the next season.

Torquay pulled off a massive shock beating them over 2 legs in 1989 in the SVT semi leaving us with a "simple" task of beating torquay 4-1 and lifting a trophy at Wembley with me watching on on the terraces , last season before it became all seater.

Next thing , I drove to wolves with a Burnley mate to the FA cup game away at theirs after we knocked out Liverpool . the ground was a tip as it was being redone and we only got 2000 tickets , I queued all night for them ,and there was a beam back to Burnden.
(I later met a Wolves skinhead at Preston station that was banned from home games so he decided to go to turf moor every week , maybe there is some sort of claret and gold love in)

I parked on the asda car park and we legged it up the side of molineux to get on 5 mins before kick off . Coming out of the ground after we won 2-0 I seriously thought we were gonna die,making our way back down thru the Wolves fans to the car park as nearly every other bolton fan turned left, but they parted for the 100 or so of us non threatening fans (scarfers) who had parked below the home end , applauded us , shook our hands and Ill never forget a massive wolves meat head blocking my path and as I gulped and said a silent prayer he just said " Go and win the whole fucking thing mate" , patted me on the back then went off to demand a refund from the board..

Season after , we played in a torrential downpour at their place and got beat 1-0 (me and me dad are on the roadrunner video for that , wide eyed as the Bolton fans had a slight disagreement with the Wolves stewards at the front) but we battered them , hit the woodwork 3 times and their keeper had the game of his life . Coming out of the ground totally drenched and wondering where we had left the car all we had was Wolves fans coming up to us saying things like " how did you get beat", & "best performance at out place since you lot in the cup" etc

I know things changed , with the battle of burnden , but that all started with the away game earlier in the season when darren ferguson got sent off for his part in a brawl in the final few minutes of a 2-1 Bolton win that set the tone but even then , no trouble after the game ...at least not as far as I knew or could see .

The 3-0 home win when all hell broke loose and lofty the lion could have died from pies to the cranium , the 5-1 destruction and the play off semis are legendary and are better described by more erudite fuckers than me and I get where the animosity comes from now , but still no real trouble ,

but a few years later a 19 year old robbie keene knocked us out of the cup at the Reebok and it still wasnt that bad really , they celebrated like they won the cup but still no big drama , we were premier league they werent , so whilst it was annoying to get knocked out of the cup at home to lower league , nobody really seemed to care coming off the ground , and certainly not that it was by wolves and fuck me didnt that young robbie keene look a oood un ....for a paddy of course.

We probably had the rub of the green against them in the Prem ...elmander scored the goal of his life and mark Davies effort wasnt far behind .Results were ok but I celebrated more against other teams (Ipswich , arsenal, middlesboro etc)

They can hate us all they like , i really dont care , like i dont care about say crystal palace , qpr , bury...other than the past games against Wolves were always a site to behold no matter the result..

I cant comment on anything that went on in the 70's , im sure it was as brutal as any fierce footballing confrontation and in 77 I was only 4 , Im now 45 and while the off the pitch stories may be legendary it means as much to me as the spurs /Millwall stories of the 30's.

Wolves will go up and probably as champions and probably after doing the double against us , but they are the best team in the league so fair enough and if they do it at the Reebok ( the macron just doesnt sound right) then so be it , Im not gonna spit me dummy out about it other than being pissed off that we got beat and that a team has a party at our house , but thats football karma , what goes around comes around.

I dont hate wolves and Nat Lofthouse held them in high regard ,thats good enough for me ........now wheres my VHS of that 5-1

A few words in response...
1) "we're the one and only Wanderers"
Well you're not. Both of our clubs will have taken our "name" from the dominant "Wanderers" of the early FA Cup fame. Was quite looking forward to you having to sing that particular one to Wycombe next season but doesn't look on now

2) John McGinley punching a Wolves player in the Play offs and the referee going all "Stuart Atwell blind"

My best mate at school was a Bolton fan, as were his brothers and my first game was at Burnden Park in 1977 when we won 1-0 and I got to watch Sam Allerdyce kick John Richards up and down the pitch for 90 minutes!

Apart from that, all good ;)

I don’t hate Bolton. Can’t really say I’ve given them a second thought.

There are posters on here that hate Bolton though.

I don't hate Bolton. Why would anyone hate such an irrelevant tin-pot shitty little club? :)

Last edited:
I had no issue with Bolton until John McGinley came along.

I don’t hate Bolton. Can’t really say I’ve given them a second thought.

There are posters on here that hate Bolton though.

I'm kinda torn though Penk, tempered by knowing my school friend. I know you can't judge an entire fan base on one or two knobheads but 20 odd years ago I'd taken my 2 boys to a McDonald's just north of Darlington. They were walking just in front of me heading for the door (in their Wolves shirts) when a bloke in a Bolton shirt came in. He saw their shirts, sneered "fucking wanky Wanderers" at them and let the door shut on them...they were 8 and 10 and that kinda ended any lingering positive feelings I had towards them

I'm kinda torn though Penk, tempered by knowing my school friend. I know you can't judge an entire fan base on one or two knobheads but 20 odd years ago I'd taken my 2 boys to a McDonald's just north of Darlington. They were walking just in front of me heading for the door (in their Wolves shirts) when a bloke in a Bolton shirt came in. He saw their shirts, sneered "fucking wanky Wanderers" at them and let the door shut on them...they were 8 and 10 and that kinda ended any lingering positive feelings I had towards them

I was thinking of Langers when I posted my last sentence.

John McGinley for obvious reasons and Jason McAteer slicing that goal in the play offs. I still think Bolton got promoted by cheating. Wasn't there rumours of Bolton entertaining the ref or something before the game? I can't really remember

Honestly, a little bit of me wished we were as hard / physical as Bolton were in the 90s

When Big Sam was managing Bolton in the prem and there were players like Cahill and they were doing really well I quite liked them.

That said, if Bolton go down I wouldn't be disappointed

Edit. That line in phoenix nights had me in stitches "This is officer Mixu Paatelinen"

but a few years later a 19 year old robbie keene knocked us out of the cup at the Reebok and it still wasnt that bad really , they celebrated like they won the cup but still no big drama , we were premier league they werent , so whilst it was annoying to get knocked out of the cup at home to lower league , nobody really seemed to care coming off the ground , and certainly not that it was by wolves and fuck me didnt that young robbie keene look a oood un ....for a paddy of course.

This isn't true, we were in the same division that season, as we were the season after that, and the season after that.

Fuck off Bolton and take that fat Scottish Cunt with you.

I had no issue with Bolton until John McGinley came along.

This this and this. BTW "darren ferguson got sent off for his part in a brawl". It wasn't a brawl it was a farty swish of the hand to the player pulling him back who actually died in the incident but came back to life shortly after.

I'm probably an unusual football fan in that I don't hate any teams and not many individuals, like some better than others but mainly I'm just interested in Wolves, although I do look out for my local small teams

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back