• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Stats and Analysis Thread

I do love a pointless stat...

Wolves are the only club from Europe's top 5 leagues to not score from outside the box this season

In the league yeah. Quite a welcome change tbf, shows how much we’ve improved at the end of the pitch in a funny way.

Doyle against Brentford in the cup of course, Neto’s against West Brom may have just been outside too?

I do love a pointless stat...

Wolves are the only club from Europe's top 5 leagues to not score from outside the box this season
Despite Doyle replacing Neves in every sense, and having it in his locker (buried under too many issues of the NME I guess). Do agree though YW that we've improved up top and it's not completely unrelated. We do pose a striking lack of threat from range though.

In the league yeah. Quite a welcome change tbf, shows how much we’ve improved at the end of the pitch in a funny way.

Doyle against Brentford in the cup of course, Neto’s against West Brom may have just been outside too?

Yeah agree -shots from outside the box are great, and they can be structured and well planned but they're obviously low percentage by their nature

Despite Doyle replacing Neves in every sense, and having it in his locker (buried under too many issues of the NME I guess). Do agree though YW that we've improved up top and it's not completely unrelated. We do pose a striking lack of threat from range though.
Hardly peppered with it in previous season either to be fair, seem to recall most of Neves' long range successes coming in the Championship.

Hardly peppered with it in previous season either to be fair, seem to recall most of Neves' long range successes coming in the Championship.
Don't know what the stats say but I'm sure you're right that it's hardly a productive numbers game. No doubt in my mind though that the perceived threat we had from outside / the edge of the box made a difference to the opposition, and the more things a defence has to worry about the better. I wouldn't be too worried about giving away free kicks just outside the box if I was an opposition manager right now. I love watching Sarabia, but his free kicks are proper 'time to complete 8 across and put a fag out' for the keeper even if he's hitting the corner.

I think direct set piece goals are at an all time low aren't they? Better, taller walls, bigger keepers. It makes sense really.

Time for nostalgia for the 'new balls swerving all over are making it impossible for keepers' era.

This doesn't put us in great company

2036.jpg

Defensively we are just not very good! Something GON does need to address eventually because although we create more how we play isn’t that sustainable. But you hope with better tools he can do that

It certainly doesn't, although I think it's a bit harsh to hold our CBs up specifically for that; we leave them pretty exposed.

That's not to completely absolve them of blame, tbc.

They're Opta figures so not some oddball in his basement but those three have started more than 7 games together surely?

Indeed it has them at 10 earlier in the article but I reckon it's more than that!

1456.jpg

Dawson and Kilman both severely hamper how we can set up, I'd like us to move on from them. That's not to say we will.

And 3 of them were from one of the most random comebacks I’ve seen in a long time.

And 3 of them were from one of the most random comebacks I’ve seen in a long time.
The other two:

1) He wasn't even there and I don't think even in contact with the bench
2) Drawing at home to an awful team who'd been relegated for weeks, and they should have had 5 before we scored (I didn't even celebrate the goal, in a club of about three Molineux goals in the last 36 years)

Craig and Max should be ashamed that they've let Tim Ream better them at anything.

Love ya, Tim.

Guehi needs to be higher than that to be a regular England International too.

And there's no sign of Branthwaite.

Back