• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Cricket Thread

They tried doing that to NZ in 1999, scored something like 12 off 10 overs chasing a tiny target vs West Indies (didn't work out in the end but they did have a go).

Can only do our own bit from here. For NRR purposes I guess we bat first if we have the choice in both games?

Yep try and put 200 on the board and reduce the opponent to under 150.

Gives you a +2.5 NRR per game if my maths are right.

I’m right in thinking it’s calculated by the average runs scored per over minus the average you concede?

We're going at 9.7 an over at the minute so need to keep Oman/Namibia down to low scores?

Batting 165 + 200(?) + 200(?) = 9.42?

90 + 201 +120(?) + 120(?) = 7.59?

I mean it's been around for 21 years now, it's not a new thing. Clearly had an influence on Test cricket too, no T20 and we don't win any of those games in Pakistan 18 months ago.

I don't like the IPL, the Hundred or the growing franchise career path that you can have, principally as they're all made up teams in made up tournaments and no-one gives a shit who wins. But World Cups are different, and as a format it clearly has worth.

I mean it's been around for 21 years now, it's not a new thing. Clearly had an influence on Test cricket too, no T20 and we don't win any of those games in Pakistan 18 months ago.

I don't like the IPL, the Hundred or the growing franchise career path that you can have, principally as they're all made up teams in made up tournaments and no-one gives a shit who wins. But World Cups are different, and as a format it clearly has worth.
At Pro level but club cricketers have been playing it for donkey's years. I used to play in the Bridgnorth midweek league which ended up being more Wolves based with Wombourne, Penn etc taking part. Can't remember what it ended up being called in the end but at one point, if you were successful in the Cup competition as well, you could sometimes have 4 or 5 games a week with playing regular South Staffs cricket at a weekend.

You are right about the influence in test cricket and to be honest, it makes it far more entertaining. No more watching the likes of Boycott graft through 110 overs a day ... and yes, I'm old enough to remember him doing that and bowlers bowling that amount, but the modern game is far more entertaining seeing 85 to 88 overs of better action. The fielding is beyond all recognition now and players like Botham, of old, seem to come along pretty regularly now in terms of Flintoff, Stokes etc.

So yes, I love cricket in most forms but I do find 20 over cricket to be a bit of a lottery.... but hey, that's life.

I agree with you on a vast amount of that Squeak (don't faint).

I will always be a test cricket fan. I fully intend to get tickets for all five days of the Gabba test in the Ashes next year. But I also love the 50 over format that I think might end up getting squeezed out of existence bar world cups, which would be a shame. T20 is a fine game for bringing in new fans. It's quick, it's exciting, etc, etc. I despised the IPL before I moved out here, and that hasn't really changed, but I did thoroughly enjoy the Big Bash. Excellent coverage by the Australian TV companies and it is really watchable.

However, every poor bugger on here knows how much I love the Hundred. It's right up there with Boris Johnson ramming bamboo under my toenails. Another shorter format wasn't needed. I wish the ECB would just concentrate on the 20 over format as nobody else is taking up the hundred cudgels (bar I think a 10 over format in the West Indies). English cricket has made this bed, and must lie in it. I think it is a huge error, but I could be wrong (it happens a lot).

For me the best thing for cricket is a thriving international test scene, domestic multiple day formats (reminds me I must try a Sheffield Shield game this summer and report back), and high quality domestic and international 50 and 20 over offerings. I will never understand why there was a need for the Hundred. Just make the UK 20 over offering (which was already excellent) higher profile.

I actually prefer T20Is to ODIs these days which I never expected. The 50 over games are often completely dead for 30+ overs a side with singles being knocked around and no threat at all from the ball.

GPzM4m7W8AAhrPy

1718305125945.png

Professional sportsman apparently.

guess depends if we skittle them and knock it off In a few overs?

5 down for 25… Buttler nearly fucked up the stumping though (again)

And now 32/6…

Wood is bowling with some real pace here and has his 50th T20 wicket for England

Back