• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Aston Villa (A) 30/3: Build-Up & Match Thread

Deutsch Wolf

aka Dawn
Reaction score
Think the break has done us a favour, some time to get away and put the Coventry game out of our minds and also get some players back.

I'm going to work on the assumption that Cunha won't start, especially with a midweek game coming up straight after. It looks unorthodox but it's as good as I can do...

---------------------------Sa-------------------

------------Kilman---Dawson---S Bueno--------

Semedo---------Lemina------J Gomes------H Bueno

------------Sarabia----Ait-Nouri----Bellegarde------

No McGinn for them (good, saves me bawling at the TV that he's a cheating Sloth out of The Goonies wanker), Kamara out long term and I think Cash went off injured for Poland the other night.

If we play like we did vs Spurs, Chelsea and second half vs Fulham we can get something, their home form in the league hasn't been too flash for quite a while now. Play like we did vs Newcastle, Brentford or Coventry and we'll lose.

A decent record at Villa Park of late.

2023/24: D 1-1 (H)
2022/23: W 1-0 (H), D 1-1 (A)
2021/22: W 2-1 (H), W 3-2 (A)
2020/21: L 0-1 (H), D 0-0 (A)
2019/20: W 2-1 (H), W 1-0 (A), L 1-2 (A, LC)
2017/18: W 2-0 (H), L 1-4 (A)
2016/17: W 1-0 (H), D 1-1 (A)
2011/12: L 2-3 (H), D 0-0 (A)
2010/11: L 1-2 (H), W 1-0 (A)
2009/10: D 1-1 (H), D 2-2 (A)
2003/04: L 0-4 (H), L 2-3 (A)
1995/96: L 0-1 (A, LC)

Last edited:
I was at that game, in the Holt End. Much easier sitting in opponent's stand when you win!

An outstanding Berra assist...
Their team from that day is pretty wild

----------------------Brad Friedel--------------------

Kyle Walker----Carlos Cuellar---Nathan Baker----Chris Herd

Marc Albrighton----Jean-Il Makoun---Nigel Reo-Coker---Stewart Downing

----------------------Ashley Young------------------

----------------------Darren Bent---------------------

Managed by Ged Houllier

Sa
Kilman Dawson Toti
Semedo Lemina Gomes H. Bueno
Sarabia Cunha RAN​

Their team from that day is pretty wild

----------------------Brad Friedel--------------------

Kyle Walker----Carlos Cuellar---Nathan Baker----Chris Herd

Marc Albrighton----Jean-Il Makoun---Nigel Reo-Coker---Stewart Downing

----------------------Ashley Young------------------

----------------------Darren Bent---------------------

Managed by Ged Houllier
Albrighton, Downing, Young, Bent and Brad are good. The rest though...

I doubt Cunha is fit enough to play 90 mins even if he can start, so I'd rather bring him on 2nd half when Villa's legs are more tired. And maybe then start him in midweek for 60 odd mins.

I doubt Cunha is fit enough to play 90 mins even if he can start, so I'd rather bring him on 2nd half when Villa's legs are more tired. And maybe then start him in midweek for 60 odd mins.
I’d rather start him and we try and win the game if he’s fit from the outset, rather than assuming we’ll still be in the game at 60 minutes.

Now we’re out of the cup, play the best 11 available whenever we can and see where that gets us. Especially as three of our final 4 games are essentially write offs.

Is Bellegarde likely to be fit? Didn't see the diagnosis on him.
“Bellegarde’s isn’t as bad as first feared so we’re hopeful he’s going to be back in and around it fairly soon. Don’t know about Aston Villa, but potentially if it goes really well.

“Matheus Cunha is looking like he’ll be around it by Villa, Pedro Neto is looking like it’s probably done for the season, and maybe back towards the very end of it, Channy [Hwang] is probably six to seven weeks in total from when he did it, so he’s still got a fair few to go. But we need to keep working to find solutions from what we have.”

I'm just working on the basis that we'd sooner risk him than Cunha.

Keen was suggesting West Ham is the game Bellegarde will be back. He also wasn't too confident Dawson would be fit for this, but let's hope he is after the Coventry shambles.

Sa
Kilman, Dawson, Toti
Semedo, Doyle, Gomes, Lemina, H. Bueno
Sarabia, Ait-Nouri

Hopefully we can get 30-40 minutes out of Cunha, and maybe Bellegarde if he can make the bench.

We need to adapt the way we attack given how weak our options are. I'd beef up the midfield and place real emphasis on Semedo/Bueno down the flanks, a more traditional back three with wing-backs instead of what we've generally done under O'Neil, and the wing-backs need to attack.

Then give Sarabia/RAN a bit of freedom to float around. Obviously going to be all about counter-attacking.

Hard to see anything other than a Villa win given our lack of options but a big game for Villa so a bit of pressure on them which could work in our favour.

Is Ait Nouri back in training today. Couldn't see him in training shots yesterday, I take it he had longer to travel in the week and was given an extra day.

- First on team news: "Dawson and Bellegarde not back with the group yet. Waiting on Jean's knee to settle with no time frame yet. Dawson doing well and hopefully with the group next week."

- "Hwang is on the grass and is feeling good. Might be back in less than 3 weeks."

- "Neto will be back fit around the end of the season, it might be a couple weeks before and then we have a decision to make. He also has a big summer with the Euros, which he's keen to be fit for."

- On Man U rumour: "There's no truth to it and I don't know where it came from. Growing up, Liverpool and Man U felt as special clubs so it's an honour to be linked, but all of my focus is here. I love it here."

- Any direct contact from United? "No, nothing at all. I was only made aware of it by our media team."

- On potential new Wolves contract: "We'll discuss it in the summer. We have 10 games left to push, so that's our only focus."

- "Europe was never a target, for obvious reasons, but because we're so close to it we now want to win and get there. We understand the challenges attached to it. We've put ourselves in this position with really hard work and it would be an unbelievable achievement."

Back to the OP, now we know there's no Bellegarde and I'm inferring that Cunha starts on Tuesday as the more winnable game, I'd play RAN on the left and Chiwome down the middle. Playing Fraser isn't in anyone's interests including his own. I have a feeling we'll get Doherty somewhere other than RWB though

Back