• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Leicester 2 v Wolves 0: The Verdict Thread

Boozad

Numbnuts / Moderator
Reaction score
Have away.

I'll put more up later from what I saw but in summary there's NO WAY we should have lost that game.

Just gotta write this one off. Think it's premature to think about pressure just yet. Occasionally you get these days where instead of flying in it hits the post and at the other end it takes a deflection.

Maybe could've done more after Vardy goes but think the writing was on the wall from 1-0 personally.

We will play better than that and lose. Unfortunate with the efforts that struck the bar and Doherty should score before a crazy own goal leaves us chasing the game.

We saw the way this team can impose themselves on a game and create chances. So far we have struggled against two good teams when they have just sat in and protected their lead (with ten men). Both games we have learnt a lot, with a very tough game next but I think we will continue to improve performance wise and the results will come with that

Taken more positives from this game than the Everton game, so not all bad. I really hope I never have to witness Bonatini in a Wolves shirt ever again. Adama is a beast and will worry defences all season, and with 2 defenders on him it frees up someone else. Neves and Moutinho still not got into their stride yet and the entire team is too relaxed- we were knocking it about in our half with 5 minutes to go losing 2-0 vs 10 men.

An odd performance, littered with individual errors but by and large were by far the better team. Created quality chances, put Leicester under pressure they couldn't really deal with and made Schmiechel work.

We couldn't deal with Leicester shutting up shop after Vardy's horrific tackle which was also odd.

On another day we're two up inside 10 minutes and we are playing on the counter for the rest of the game. I thought Moutinho was class along with Neves, Jonny and Jimenez.

1. Need to be more clinical. You can't complain if you don't take your chances.
2. Doherty, bless him, is not helping himself as he is defending averagely at best and can't cross for toffee.
3. Coady needs to stop backing off.
4. Costa needs to step up or fuck off
5. Jota needs to take the hint.
6. Jiminez looks great and I fancy 15 goals from this fella

Next.

Assuming he is fit enough to play soon after I hope this is the end for Matt Doherty. He is not good enough. He's not good for the Prem, he was not good enough for the Championship, and he wasn't even very good in League One. Has he developed at all since we bought him? Apart from Nuno getting him to lose weight and track back, improvements are non-existent. Can't cross, can't defend, terrible first touch. He's hurting us defensively and wrecks our attack down the right-hand side. Richarlison tore him apart last week and he was a liability again today. Wing-backs are so important in our system so why are we playing with this handicap? Need to get rid.

Otherwise it sounds like on another day we would have won this comfortably. Bit of bad fortune, few times we should have been a bit better in front of goal. Bonatini sounded poor but I really liked the look of Jiminez last week and think he can score us a few. Traore sounded positive to be fair, his ability to beat a man may be more useful to us than Costa if we insist on having Doherty down the right as Helder is getting zero sufficient support. Hope Cav is back soon.

Next game I want to see Doherty out of the squad, Jonny on the right, Vinagre down the left.

We're playing much better now with Moutinho and Neves running the midfield, but we do seem to play a lot of unnecessary passes without the player looking up to see if there's a better ball on, but we need more penetration and it looks like Traore might be able to provide that piercing run to then shoot or lay it off. Early days days yet, and too early to judge.
If, as they say, there are 3 leagues in the Prem, the top six, those banging on the door and those looking at the drop every week, I'd put us in the middle group, but we won't know until Christmas.

So now that I've delivered that, and I know you've all been dying to see what I think, I'll get my coat and see you next week...

Played well. Two unfortunate goals. It happens at this level. Next week is a total free hit obviously.

Traore looks like both sides of the argument, fast and scary, and runs into nothingness and the attack stops dead ha. Only one game I know. Looking forward to seeing more personally

There was only one time i thought he messed up (overhit pass to doc), other than that i thought he looked very good. Much better first touch than i thought and that standing cross to leo was good.

They tripled up on him and we had no else to stretch that play as Leo really did nothing useful. Such as shame, but i don't think it's ever going to happej for him again.

Played well, but defensively naive, and no real plan B.

Jonny was excellent, Traore looks like a real handful, and Doherty was an enormous weak link in every regard. He’ll keep on giving away goals and letting players run him ragged for as long as he plays at this level. We need to drop him, and quickly.

I assume there’s some good reason why we’re not playing Jonny on the right and Vinagre on the left, but buggered if I can see it.

Jonny and Traore on the right would be superb. Just depends if Nuno thinks Vini is ready.

Missed Cav today too I think.

Traore caused them problems, he put in a great cross with his left foot which fell to Bonatini who unfortunately couldn’t finish his dinner.

Random thoughts:

Raul looks good enough for this level, certainly. Very unfortunate with hitting the post in the 1st half and then getting shunted around to accommodate Leo in the 2nd. His movement and energy are very, very good and it bodes well. I think in another few weeks once he's used to playing with the rest of the team (and vice versa) we'll really start to see something good out of him.

I'm a Leo supporter but he was pretty poor today - there's a clear dropoff in quality between himself and Raul. If Cav was fit I don't think he'd be seeing the pitch right now, honestly. Hopefully he can bag one in one of the cup games and start to get his mojo back.

MGW also had a couple of very heavy first touches that killed moves, including one where he was in on goal. Something for the lad to work in but he certainly doesn't look overawed or out of place in the team.

Traore was positive in fits and starts but I did wonder if he started on the left as Nuno wanted to repeat Pulis' trick of keeping him near so he could feed him instructions. He produced a few good deliveries (and mishit a couple others) but overall positive. If we weren't playing against a team sitting back he should have real scope to get in behind, hopefully.

Costa and Jota both started pretty brightly I thought, they both got in behind and made the Leicester defenders look a bit foolish, but it seemed they drifted out of the game, particularly after the 1st went in. Again, if Cav were fit I think we'd be seeing some harsh treatment from Nuno as neither has really hit top speed yet but at least one will have another chance next week.

Jonny again I thought was really good, albeit 2nd half offensively he basically offered very little - not sure how much of that was down to Traore shifting to the right and him having very little offensive support on that side - he's not someone who's going to beat a man, basically. Defensively very solid though, perfect example being tracking the run late in the 2nd half to prevent a 1-on-1 (can't remember who it was, Ndidi maybe?)

Not much complaints about the back 3/keeper other than Coady maybe could've closed down a bit quicker for the 2nd. Boly was much better (albeit still a bit loose once or twice) and Bennett was very solid, one or two brainfarts in possession aside.

Neves/Moutinho is a quality axis and I don't think we should have too many concerns about them. They won the ball back a number of times and distribution was generally very good, Moutinho desperately unlucky with the effort that hit the bar.

It isn't quite daylight robbery but Leicester were very fortunate to win that. We probably should've been at least 1 up before they scored, but as we've seen before this league is very unforgiving. I still think we'll be fine.

-edit- re Vinagre I can only think (hope) that he didn't really have a full break/preseason after being away with Portugal, so as with Dendoncker he should be up to speed in a couple weeks.

We must be more clinical but already some signs that players are stepping up, which is great. Sadly some are not Costa has not done enough to retain his place and should be dropped for Traore now. On Traore we all know how good he is running with the ball but his distribution was also for the most part decent, of Leo leaves it Jimenez has a free shot on goal. Positive signs so far let's see what he can do starting a game.

Jota and Jimenez were really good just missed that finishing touch and Neves was his usual self just brilliant.

The goals really were unlucky the first Doc is covering and runs on to and blasts a header past Rui, the second at first I thought was bad keeping but was apparently deflected so yet more bad luck.

Stick a few more away and we will be fine in this league

Vinny on for Doc next pls and Traore for Costa and let's see what happens set up to counter we have the perfect team for it.

Oh and Leo was dreadful sorry no sugar coating that he ruined several moves on idea why we signed him.

Watched the game, they didn't play particulary well, they will feel that they contained us well with the ten men.
As for us we were good for long periods of the game and unlucky with both the goals.
For anyone who likes historical things watch Vardy's sending off a true 1970's bit of football.

Raul would have to be my MOTM closely followed by Jonny. Traore came on and did surprisingly well but still needs to press the balls going back to their keeper.
Doc, well what can you say unlucky/stuipid (delete as appropriate) it did get a touch off Coady but I don't think he's close enough not to react.
Second goal from what I saw Rui has gos zero chance really.

That said we bossed it and had opportunities to win, if Leo gets a shout from Raul and leaves the ball we probably score.

I put us below the top six plus Everton, Leicester and Palace, so am not massively worried about todays away loss.

It sounds like we created a lot of chances against a good side. So be it, we had some moments of defensive idiocy, but you would hope we are in a position to iron them out, and another day, a couple of our excellent chances go in rather than rattle the woodwork.

Plenty to be encouraged about, and I am totally confident that we will be absolutely fine in this league.

Leicester only had 2 shots on target and one of them wasn't a goal, tells a lot. Largely unforced errors have led to 3/4 goals we've conceded this year, I am not talking about the likes of Jota giving the ball away but the errors in defending the chances. Plenty of positives although worried that our more open 2 man midfield is contributing to it, would be tempted to drop Saiss back in for City.

Back