• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Welcome to Wolves Matheus Cunha

Are we turning "I want to improve the players that are here" into a negative??

Interesting article but GoN is on crack if he thinks he can turn Cunha into Haaland.

I get the impression GoN wants certain types of players, none of them here and he wants the players here to be something they're not.
Cunha could be a heck of a player, never see him scoring more than 15 in a season though.

Are we turning "I want to improve the players that are here" into a negative??
There's a difference between improving players and wanting them to be something they just can't be.

Do you really think using Haaland as a template for Cunha is a good thing?

He used Haaland as an example, not a comparison point. You can offer a lot in buildup and still contribute on the scoresheet seemed the point to me. He's acknowledging that Cunha is currently doing more the former than latter and he needs to step up the latter.

Why is all this PR still mandated? Literally nothing useful comes of it and everything is just twisted to fit pre-existing narratives (yes, including my own).

Haaland is the ultimate predator who touches the ball only rarely but an insane level of those touches are goals. Cunha is just not that player.

I’m sure I read somewhere the other day how he’d rectified the reason for the three goals conceded against West Ham (O’Neill that is), I’ll reserve judgement till after Sunday’s game but I hope he ain’t turning into another bullshit merchant.

That article O'Neil does at least reference that he feels he isn't a 9. Which is telling on Kala and Silva also not being the answer as you'd expect one of them to have had a run with Cunha I'm behind.

As unfair as it sounds, if given a chance I'd shift all 3 of them out as feel neither of them is quite the right fit. Although Cunha obviously has the tools for a 4411/451/433 style of team should that be the future blueprint.

Of course he isn't. No one would pay anywhere near what we did in return, at least at present. My point was more his role and odd fit, can't fault his work rate but I don't see having a lot of shots on target as the soul positive the writer of that article does.

That article O'Neil does at least reference that he feels he isn't a 9. Which is telling on Kala and Silva also not being the answer as you'd expect one of them to have had a run with Cunha I'm behind.

As unfair as it sounds, if given a chance I'd shift all 3 of them out as feel neither of them is quite the right fit. Although Cunha obviously has the tools for a 4411/451/433 style of team should that be the future blueprint.
I think as a false 9/ deep lying forward he could really be fantastic. Just need to buy a Salah and a Mane to go with him 😁

Yeah potentially. Although I feel Cunha in an elite team wouldn't necessarily make the Jota style leap once surrounded by greater talent, I do feel Neto would.

If Cunha can add another 8 combined goals or assists in the 2nd half of the season. I will feel thats a fairly significant return for our position and would probably be making the strides towards being considered a good signing in relation to the fee.

Last edited:
That certainly would. I haven’t checked but I think that would take him over 20 goal involvements when his position isn’t the optimum one. When Neto is back I think Cunha will look pretty damn good again.

Everything in the forward players screams 4-2-3-1 with Cunha behind a 9.

Shame we can’t play that formation without the midfield getting dragged d back to hold the CBs up.

A 4231 would help Sasa too I reckon. Is S.Bueno too much of a Dawson-lite to be effective in a back 4? Know the El Capitan debate has been done to death.

Using Haaland as an example is silly though. Haaland leads the line and that's not Cunha's game.
It’s just a lazy example I think.

I want my forward to score goals. Who scores goals. Haaland.

I’d like to think GoN realises they’re very different players.

I’m sure I read somewhere the other day how he’d rectified the reason for the three goals conceded against West Ham (O’Neill that is), I’ll reserve judgement till after Sunday’s game but I hope he ain’t turning into another bullshit merchant.
He’s 100 opening the door for some ridicule there if we concede in the same way again. Sometimes saying nothing speaks louder

It’s just a lazy example I think.

I want my forward to score goals. Who scores goals. Haaland.

I’d like to think GoN realises they’re very different players.
The next paragraph literally states that they are very different players and the manager knows that. What he was saying is that Haaland is a 9 and the best one, we don’t have one so have to deal with Cunha there despite it not being his best position.

The next paragraph literally states that they are very different players and the manager knows that. What he was saying is that Haaland is a 9 and the best one, we don’t have one so have to deal with Cunha there despite it not being his best position.
Fairs. Hadn’t read the article so was just a sweeping statement

Back