• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves History Thread

I remember really liking Ben Thornley at Huddersfield but as it turned out he was already severely compromised by an injury he got at United and was never going to have a long career. Shame.

John O'Kane possibly the exception, by his own admission he didn't have what it took mentally.

Don't forget that's the wrong Simon Davies - the left-sided midfielder with the single Welsh cap, not the right-sided midfielder that ended up at Spurs with 50-odd.

Chris Casper was another one done in by injury - wasn't he manager of Bury in his late 20s or something?

Yeah, that's right with Casper. Good mate of mine is a Reading fan and said he looked the bizzo for them before he was on the end of a terrible challenge from some Cardiff clogger.

I remember really liking Ben Thornley at Huddersfield but as it turned out he was already severely compromised by an injury he got at United and was never going to have a long career. Shame.

John O'Kane possibly the exception, by his own admission he didn't have what it took mentally.

Only one I haven't heard of is Rawlinson.

I was there too.

I took my youngest to see the FA youth cup final 2nd leg at Elland Road 92/93. Over 20k there, lufc winning 4-1 on aggregate. Only Noel Whelan of lufc's team went on to 'greater' things.
Jamie Forrester played in the same 1993 England U18 team that won the Euros as Nicky Butt, Sol Campbell, Robbie Fowler, Gary Neville and Paul Scholes, was very highly rated but it never quite happened for him. Beckham didn't even make that squad.

I was there too, remember thinking Casper looked quite good.

Fuck knows why I can remember these games better than ones this season.

The only real black hole I have is 2020/21 with it being such a weird fake season of no fans (and we were awful after Raul got injured). I watched every single game on TV but I would say I'd do worse on a quiz on that season alone than any other since 1993/94.

But I wouldn't judge ability to memorise useless crap on my standards :D because I'm just a bit freakish that way.

In fact I've not heard of Collier or Howard!

The only real black hole I have is 2020/21 with it being such a weird fake season of no fans (and we were awful after Raul got injured). I watched every single game on TV but I would say I'd do worse on a quiz on that season alone than any other since 1993/94.

But I wouldn't judge ability to memorise useless crap on my standards :D because I'm just a bit freakish that way.
When I do your quizes I do significantly worse on the last 5 years than the 90s! 👴

In fact I've not heard of Collier or Howard!
I hope I'm not libelling Danny Collier here but we had a CH around then who in an end of season Reserves game that meant nothing absolutely battered some opposition player and got sent off. Like not a bad challenge, just started properly laying into him out of nowhere. Instone specifically reported on how out of the blue it was. Got released a couple of weeks later and never surfaced anywhere else. And that name rings a bell.

We swapped Kelly with Wrexham for John Paskin, he wasn't Academy (as much as one existed then)

We've had a few wrong 'uns. Liam Hughes went down for armed robbery. Was a right prick.

Now you shouldn't judge a book by its cover. But look at Liam Hughes FFS.

QUGMNTMK4BGZ7NF6W4YJVIEEGY.jpg

We swapped Kelly with Wrexham for John Paskin, he wasn't Academy (as much as one existed then)

We've had a few wrong 'uns. Liam Hughes went down for armed robbery. Was a right prick.
Not in the same ballpark, but Chris Cornes. Silly, silly boy.

I hope he's now grown up this many years later.

Not in the same ballpark, but Chris Cornes. Silly, silly boy.

I hope he's now grown up this many years later.
Was manager of Worcester, not sure if he still is.

But no, he hasn't.

Edit: he is

24 years today since the final day of 1999/2000 (won 1-0 at Port Vale to take us to 74 points but a win for Bolton meant we missed out on the playoffs, days after we got robbed at Horwich by Bent Kevin Lynch).

Which therefore means it's now 24 years since Keith Curle and Ade Akinbiyi last played for Wolves.

Full line-up: Oakes; Muscat, Pollet, Curle, Naylor; Bazeley, Emblen, Sedgley, S Taylor (Osborn); Akinbiyi, Branch (Robinson).

Edit: Same applies to Allan Nielsen, Paul Simpson and Havard Flo who didn't play in this one.

Last edited:
CM was our issue all season (well, all decade). Everything outside of that in the first XI once we'd settled down was pretty good (with Sinton wide left, think he was injured right at the end here).

You could get away with one of Emblen/Osborn/Robinson/Taylor/Sedgley and then have a real serious player next to them. But no, we'll just ignore it and hope we get away with it.

Back