• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

A jolly good read?

Moral Combat - Michael Burleigh - A history of World War Two. Truth not fiction.

Finally got round to reading The Leopard by Jo Nesbo. I'm only about 60 pages in but really enjoying it - the only problem is that it's been a while since I finished The Snowman and I am struggling to remember what happened in that one! I know it's not massively important but it is bugging me slightly. Think I will go straight from The Leopard to Phantom when I have finished so I cant forget what happens!

Anyone a Vonnegut fan? Would like to read one of his books. Recommendations?

I currently have Cat's Cradle, Players Piano, and Slapstick

Slaughterhouse 5 is a brilliant book.

In other book news, I've just finished The Damned United by David Peace. A fantastic recreation of Brian Clough's time at Derby and Leeds. And that made me want to know more so I picked up Provided You Don't Kiss Me, Brian Hamilton's account of Clough's Forest years, which is also supposed to be excellent.

Anyone a Vonnegut fan? Would like to read one of his books. Recommendations?

I currently have Cat's Cradle, Players Piano, and Slapstick

I've not read these but many really rate Cat's cradle very highly. That would be the one i'd go for.

Slaughterhouse 5 is brilliant in its own way as SLA says, but I can't say I particularly enjoyed it. in fact it put me off reading any more of his up to now.

Just heard Iain Banks has passed away. Only 2 months after announcing his illness.
Sad news.

Just heard Iain Banks has passed away. Only 2 months after announcing his illness.
Sad news.

just been reading about this. ridiculously quick. so sad - I must have spent the whole of my twenties reading his books he was so prolific then. love so many of his books.

I got an amazon voucher for Fathers day, i'm into historical fiction at the moment, any suggestions?, i thought i might try Bernard Cornwell.

I got an amazon voucher for Fathers day, i'm into historical fiction at the moment, any suggestions?, i thought i might try Bernard Cornwell.

Cornwell stuff is good.

The Hilary Mantel books about Thomas Cromwell - Wolf Hall and Bring Up the Bodies - are excellent.

Need some help, going to Merry Hill later to get foreign money and stuff for holiday, including a book that I can take and read (chill out holiday).

Trouble is I don't know where to start.

I am up for reading anything but once I start I won't stop so I want this one-off-book to be really good!

I don't activley read and haven't read a fat lot, also I don't have much preference except for no lovey-dovey stuff which I doubt anyone would suggest.

I know I could just look in this thread but I will probably get lost in it.

How about Da Vinci Code? Or something like that?

Get 'Family' by Michael Calvin. It's that book about Millwall the year they won the play offs and is great insight into how Kenny Jackett operates. It's a very interesting read and well worth a look.

I think I want something made up :)

Do not, under any circumstances, subject yourself to the Da Vinci Code. It is bollocks.

Do not, under any circumstances, subject yourself to the Da Vinci Code. It is bollocks.

I quite enjoyed it, though it's not exactly good writing!! I enjoy the parody Dan Brown Twitter account more, mind you.

Got A dance with Dragons burning a hole in my bookshelf at the moment. Really trying to ration the books out due to Martin's glacial pace of writing.

Got A dance with Dragons burning a hole in my bookshelf at the moment. Really trying to ration the books out due to Martin's glacial pace of writing.

I loved that book. The 2nd best in the series after A Storm of Swords.

Back