• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

African Cup Of Nations 2017

The Bear

Euro 2012 PTG Champion
Staff member
Reaction score
2017_Africa_Cup_of_Nations_logo.png

Thought we could do with a thread as this starts tomorrow afternoon. Looks like it's being broadcast solely on Eurosport 1 and 2 as far as I can see.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Guide to all of the teams: http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38105721

Final 23 man squads: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_Africa_Cup_of_Nations_squads

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I tried to find a list of all the players from English teams from all four divisions, but the press only seems to care about the Premier League and Championship, so here's a list of who is involved from the top two leagues:

Arsenal: Ismael Bennacer (Algeria), Mohamed Elneny (Egypt)
Bournemouth: Max Gradel (Ivory Coast)
Crystal Palace: Bakary Sako (Mali), Wilfried Zaha (Ivory Coast),
Everton: Idrissa Gueye (Senegal)
Hull City: Ahmed Elmohamady (Egypt), Dieumerci Mbokani (DR Congo)
Leicester City: Daniel Amartey (Ghana), Riyad Mahrez (Algeria), Islam Slimani (Algeria),
Liverpool: Sadio Mane (Senegal)
Manchester United: Eric Bailly (Ivory Coast)
Southampton: Sofiane Boufal (Morocco)
Stoke: Wilfried Bony (Ivory Coast), Mame Biram Diouf (Senegal), Ramadan Sobhi (Egypt)
Sunderland: Wahbi Khazri (Tunisia), Lamine Kone (Ivory Coast), Didier Ndong (Gabon)
Watford: Nordin Amrabat (Morocco), Brice Dja Djedje (Ivory Coast), Adlene Guedioura (Algeria)
West Ham: Andre Ayew (Ghana), Sofiane Feghouli (Algeria), Cheikou Kouyate (Senegal)

Aston Villa: Jonathan Kodjia (Ivory Coast), Jordan Ayew (Ghana)
Barnsley: Andy Yiadom (Ghana)
Birmingham City: Jacques Maghoma (DR Congo)
Cardiff City: Bruno Manga (Gabon)
Fulham: Floyd Ayite (Cameroon), Neeskens Kebano (DR Congo)
Newcastle United: Mohamed Diame (Senegal), Christian Atsu (Ghana), Achraf Lazaar (Morocco), Chancel Mbemba – (DR Congo)
Norwich City: Youssouf Mulumbu (DR Congo)
Wolverhampton Wanderers: Romain Saiss (Morocco)

GROUPS:

Live Tables and Standings - http://africanfootball.com/group-standings/787/2017-Africa-Cup-of-Nations

3o3bpd2d8tn81e3es.67ee430d.jpg

FIXTURES:

Group Stages

Jan 14, 4pm – Gabon v Guinea Bissau
Jan 14, 7pm – Burkina Faso v Cameroon

Jan 15, 4pm – Algeria v Zimbabwe
Jan 15, 7pm – Tunisia v Senegal

Jan 16, 4pm – Ivory Coast v Togo

Jan 16, 7pm – D.R. Congo v Morocco

Jan 17, 4pm – Ghana v Uganda

Jan 17, 7pm – Mali v Egypt

Jan 18, 4pm – Gabon v Burkina Faso

Jan 18, 7pm – Cameroon v Guinea Bissau

Jan 19, 4pm – Algeria v Tunisia

Jan 19, 7pm – Senegal v Zimbabwe

Jan 20, 4pm – Ivory Coast v D.R. Congo

Jan 20, 7pm – Morocco v Togo

Jan 21, 4pm – Ghana v Mali

Jan 21, 7pm – Egypt v Uganda

Jan 22, 7pm – Cameroon v Gabon

Jan 22, 7pm – Guinea Bissau v Burkina Faso

Jan 23, 7pm – Senegal v Algeria

Jan 23, 7pm – Zimbabwe v Tunisia

Jan 24, 7pm – Morocco v Ivory Coast

Jan 24, 7pm – Togo v D.R. Congo

Jan 25, 7pm – Egypt v Ghana

Jan 25, 7pm – Uganda v Mali

Quarter-finals

Jan 28, 5pm – Winner Group A v Runner-up Group B (Match 25)
Jan 28, 8pm – Winner Group B v Runner-up Group A (Match 26)

Jan 29, 5pm – Winner Group C v Runner-up Group D (Match 27)
Jan 29, 8pm – Winner Group D v Runner-up Group C (Match 28)

Semi-finals

Feb 1, 8pm – Winner Match 25 v Winner Match 28

Feb 2, 8pm – Winner Match 26 v Winner Match 27

Third place play-off

Feb 4, 8pm – Loser Match 29 v Loser Match 30

Final

Feb 5, 8pm – Winner Match 29 v Winner Match 30

That's almost, almost as good as my Euro 2016 OP :D

Although you should have made the thread purely "FAO Alan".

:beerchug:

Wish I could have gotten all the players from English teams. I just couldn't be arsed to go through the other three leagues manually.

I forgot about Alan and his African/French obsession. He'll be thrapping himself silly no doubt in preparation.

I thought it was being screened on ITV4? Normally I really enjoy this, but since Zambia didn't qualify I cba.

Zambia winning in 2012 is probably up there with the playoff final as best football moment for me.

The internet agrees with you but looking at ITV4's schedule and there's nothing on there.

I found a list of Championship players involved too, now in the OP. I guess no-one really cares below that so I'll stop my searching.

Probably the most fun I have watching international football, if not necessarily the most technically sound.

How Atsu continues to make the Ghanaian squad is beyond me.

First game was a 1-1 draw with a goal in the last minute for Guinea.

Cameroon currently one up against Burkina Faso.

Guinea-Bissau, mate. Bordering on semantics, I know, but an important distinction!

The goalkeeping in this match would spark a biblical blog post from Dan.

I couldn't be arsed to type it all out!!

I joined the match in the second half and within 5 minutes there were two laughable moments of goalkeeping.

Burkina Faso just equalised and it was more great keeping palming a near post shot back into the middle of the six yard box.

Yep. Ondoa may be good one day (he's highly rated in Spain) but for now Cameroon are dearly missing Kameni.

Hell, half of Cameroon's best players simply didn't show up for the tournament!

Mahrez helped Algeria avoid a hugely embarrassing result by equalizing against Zimbabwe in the 82nd minute. Match finished 2-2, Mahrez with both Algerian goals, Zimbabwe's goals by way of Kudakwashe Mahachi (Golden Arrows, Premier Soccer League) and Nyashi Mushekwi (Dalian Yifang, China League One).

The other match finished Tunisia 0 - 2 Senegal, with goals from Sadio Mane and Kara Mbodji (Anderlecht, Belgian First Division A).

Tried to watch the first half of Ivory Coast vs Togo and it's as expected, absolutely shite. Obviously there are good players but the overall standard is shocking and have no idea how anyone can enjoy watching it.

Tried to watch the first half of Ivory Coast vs Togo and it's as expected, absolutely $#@!e. Obviously there are good players but the overall standard is shocking and have no idea how anyone can enjoy watching it.
Harsh!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Stop your fake outrage all the while Alan..

Probably the most fun I have watching international football, if not necessarily the most technically sound.

How Atsu continues to make the Ghanaian squad is beyond me.

Atsu proving me right here, he's so comfortable dribbling the ball but he has no other qualities in his game. Ghana have much better options than him out wide.

Full time, Ghana 1 - 0 Uganda. Uganda created more in the 2nd half but you never felt they'd score.

Most entertaining match of the tournament thus far. More open than the others with fewer silly fouls to break up the play.

Quality goal from Piqueti yesterday:

The defender just let him inside and shoot! No tricks or anything !

Back