• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

All about catching fish

Mel Evo

Reaction score
I suspect many on here couldn't think of anything worse than a thread on fishing, but perhaps the work of Paul and Bob has made it a little more acceptable?! Anyway, I'm a keen fisherman and I seem to remember a few others responding to some angling chat a few months ago, so perhaps it would be good to have a thread to share stories, thoughts and even advice?

In part this is prompted because the weather has finally turned today to resemble something like my own favourite fishing time of the year. I love all forms of fishing but time and habit has seen me become a fly-fisherman only in practice over the years. That said, I really enjoy a couple of trips winter shore fishing for cod in North Yorks with the help of a close fishing mate of mine who knows what he's doing. I started coarse fishing, in some of the locations Bob Mortimer was knocking about strangely enough, and always have the idea of getting back to the tench, crucian, mixed bag I was lucky enough to enjoy back then. Would need some advice on gear as I've lost all mine since those days and can't really remember what it was. Lots of those small ponds seems to have transferred to the big carp scene now - something I'm a bit sniffy about I guess with absolutely no first hand knowledge, so I wait to have my horizons broadened on that one.

So fishing for me now, due to the restrictions of location, is split between the expanse of Rutland Water and a tiny beck with a good stock of wild trout nearby. Polar opposites. Pretty much exclusively dry fly as that's what I like, I'm always setup to go and I tend to only get out late in the evenings so it's most effective anyway, especially when targetting the big 'near wild' trophies in Rutland which are my main, rarely attained, objective. Every now and again I get after salmon and sea trout, but not on the famous rivers, rather the lesser known but sometimes special rivers of north devon and the north east.

Tight lines any other anglers out there.

I was mad keen on fishing from about 10 up till my mid 20s. Then it tailed off a bit through my 30s and 40s, haven't been for a long time now although a couple of my grandkids have shown an interest so might do a bit.
When I retired I was intending taking it up again and would like to try fly fishing but time seems to at a premium currently.

I was mad keen on fishing from about 10 up till my mid 20s. Then it tailed off a bit through my 30s and 40s, haven't been for a long time now although a couple of my grandkids have shown an interest so might do a bit.
When I retired I was intending taking it up again and would like to try fly fishing but time seems to at a premium currently.
Give it a go :) If you're near any venue and game for an early morning (ouch) or late evening, when it's normally best anyway, then I've found it's not the worst on time compared to other activities. A couple of hours can be plenty. Low setup / packing away times, and no mess are one of the plus points of fly fishing.

Give it a go :) If you're near any venue and game for an early morning (ouch) or late evening, when it's normally best anyway, then I've found it's not the worst on time compared to other activities. A couple of hours can be plenty. Low setup / packing away times, and no mess are one of the plus points of fly fishing.
I'm sure it'll happen at some stage, I look after my granddaughters 2 days a week, I need to find more time for my other hobby motorcycling and I also want to get back into hill walking.

I fished in my teenage years using tackle bought from Donington Market. Just a 6 or 7 foot rod I think. Living 100 yards away from the river Trent, getting out there was easy. Catching not so much.

My best was a 3lb Perch ledgering on sweetcorn. There's plenty of Carp in the Trent (or was before it became filthy) but I never caught one. Then our shed got robbed a couple of year later and all the tackle went so I never bothered again.

Fished most of my life, mainly concentrate on Rivers now as spending a day without bumping into another soul appeals to me enormously.

Spent quite a few balmy summer night’s fishing on the severn at Quatt in my early twenties, mainly Barbel, great fish to catch, there was a pub over the road we always ended up in ( can’t remember the name ) when it finally got dark about ten o’clock.

Last edited:
Spent quite a few balmy summer night’s fishing on the seven at Quatt in my early twenties, mainly Barbel, great fish to catch, there was a pub over the road we always ended up in ( can’t remember the name ) when it finally got dark about ten o’clock.

The Danery?

Fishing is a huge part of my life. Started at age of 6 and by late teens focused on catching big fish, aka specimen hunting. Been lucky to have caught big fish of many species and wrote a book in 2018. Also wrote for Angling Times for a couple of years and still contribute regularly.

Fishing is a huge part of my life. Started at age of 6 and by late teens focused on catching big fish, aka specimen hunting. Been lucky to have caught big fish of many species and wrote a book in 2018. Also wrote for Angling Times for a couple of years and still contribute regularly.
Looking forward to your contributions here then WW!

Not quite a specimen (?) but I managed a 6lb brown trout at Rutland on a small dry last night just as it got dark, I’d only popped down for an hour or so. Now until the end of May is the time for these clonkers and the quality of them seems to get better with each passing year.

Looking forward to your contributions here then WW!

Not quite a specimen (?) but I managed a 6lb brown trout at Rutland on a small dry last night just as it got dark, I’d only popped down for an hour or so. Now until the end of May is the time for these clonkers and the quality of them seems to get better with each passing year.
A 6lb brownie on the fly is a specimen in my eyes. Might have a go fly fishing one day. Love the variety of fishing for different species. I try to beat one personal best, PB, each year. I’ve been lucky this year as recently equalled the British roach record and had an 80lb 4oz catfish.

I'm no angler (regrettably) but love watching all the tv shows [from the mainstream Gone Fishing to River Monsters and the Matt Hayes Rod Race shows]. Similarly liking cars but never having restored one, I can't get enough of the car shows that find/restore/pimp/overhaul/rescue/hot rod etc.

I will read this thread with interest and in Wilf Wolf we might just have found Deutsch Wolf's angling equivalent!

I'm no angler (regrettably) but love watching all the tv shows [from the mainstream Gone Fishing to River Monsters and the Matt Hayes Rod Race shows]. Similarly liking cars but never having restored one, I can't get enough of the car shows that find/restore/pimp/overhaul/rescue/hot rod etc.

I will read this thread with interest and in Wilf Wolf we might just have found Deutsch Wolf's angling equivalent!
To bring it back to Wolves I recently went to the Newcastle game and whilst queuing to get through security the supervisor said “I recognise you” which surprised me as I had never been to Newcastle in my life before. He insisted he did and then I guessed how. I asked him if he was an angler and his instant reply was “I knew it, I’ve watched loads of your videos on YouTube “! I was surprised, my lad was very impressed!

I've been lucky enough to watch Wolves live over a thousand times over 50 years and have never understood the attraction of supporting a team for those unable or who choose not to go. I've just realised that my interest in fishing and cars is exactly the same!

I've been lucky enough to watch Wolves live over a thousand times over 50 years and have never understood the attraction of supporting a team for those unable or who choose not to go. I've just realised that my interest in fishing and cars is exactly the same!
Does haunting a forum for a team you don’t support fall into the same bracket?

You lot have proper fired me up, watch this space!
Can't claim to have caught any specimens, biggest I ever caught was a 7lb Barbel at Bewdley.

Back