• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Aston Villa 2-0 Wolves: Verdict Thread

There's no way he saw it late and it's not far off right down the middle, it's not right high up in the net, it's just poor.
Why is there "no way" he saw it late? Are you saying there aren't players in the way? The still (stills usually get dismissed in TWF lore) you posted literally shows players (especially Gomes) between him and the ball.

Also, he's absolutely smashed it, which a still doesn't show.

Last edited:
The team that started this game gets relegated more often than not, the team that finished this game is nowhere near Premier League standard. Air-Nouri’s chance aside, we didn’t lay a glove on them despite some promising moments we were well short in the final third. Chiwomwe looks like a footballer but the drop off from Cunha in this team is immense, at best you could say he kept their defenders interested but they won’t have many easier games.

Semedo flattered to deceive, particularly in the first half when he had their full back beaten time and again only to do something mediocre at the end.

Ait-Nouri, missed chance aside, never really threatened down the other flank. The 3 central defenders were ok, but on the occasions Villa threatened on the counter they looked exposed.

Gomes was immense getting into Villa and for the first 20 minutes or so the midfield three were on top.

Sarabia was really poor.

I was sat not far from the Villa fans so maybe away from the main group of Wolves fans but I thought the atmosphere in the away end was quite flat.

There is a real risk this season could meander to a conclusion if we have a bad week.

There's no way he saw it late and it's not far off right down the middle, it's not right high up in the net, it's just poor.
Look where his feet are in your still. That's where he started when the ball was hit and is diving from. Two players directly in line between him and the goalscorer, and it's hit at huge speed and only just misses those players on the way through.

It's clear that he misjudged the flight of the ball because of that, as his hands go just under it. I think it even just clips them and deflects up off them slightly.

Screenshot_2024-03-31-07-36-48-487_com.android.chrome-edit.jpg

Looks like Santi right in front of him blocking his view, and see where he is standing in the goal. Much further right than where the ball ends up past the guy on the line.

Then take into account that it takes about 5 frames of video for the ball to leave Diaby's foot and end up in the net. That's 5/25 of a second or about 0.2s. He did ok to almost get a hand on it. I don't think any keeper is saving it based on his positioning, which you can argue about maybe, but the ball has just come from that side so makes sense.

Last edited:
Correct he still bottled the fucking challenge, as did half our fucking team.

Instead of the grammar check, why not tell me why we won no 50-50 challenge in a Midlands derby
Because very few of our players, or theirs have any connection to the midlands, other than the location of the club they play for.

We’ve been let down by the squad depth, but we all know that anyway.

Think GoN set us up really poorly, pushing Lemina forward CM pairing with Gomes that protects the back line well. Also, Lemina is fantastic at pressing but he's not known for beating a man or creating chances, thus hampering our already goal shy forward line further. We learnt this against Coventry and to try it again is poor imo.

We should have pushed RAN into the attacking position with Bueno behind him. RAN would provide some dynamism going forward, some pace and can beat a man - which Sarabia can't do on the other side. The less said about Sarabia the better - his floated crosses are reminding me of Marçal.

The problems we have are glaringly obvious. At this point it is what it is, there's no point harping on about it.

Ignoring those problems, the performance was okay. Villa may have shaded it overall but had we scored when we should and had they not scored when they shouldn't, then we're looking at a point away from home v a team that will almost definitely be in Europe next season.

Lemina played really well in that left sided role against Fulham, he's been crap against Coventry and Villa in it since. Hopefully that's the end of it (although I thought that after Coventry.)

Last edited:
A positive for me was Hugo Bueno's little cameo in the 2nd half, two wonderful balls into the box and one were Doherty should be burying. I'd play him with RAN ahead of him on Tuesday. Again I say he's the best crosser of a ball for me at the club.

The problems we have are glaringly obvious. At this point it is what it is, there's no point harping on about it.

Ignoring those problems, the performance was okay. Villa may have shaded it overall but had we scored when we should and had they not scored when they shouldn't, then we're looking at a point away from home v a team that will almost definitely be in Europe next season.
Villa stuck with what they'd got at 2-0 so your suggestion we were two incidents away from a point doesn't bear scrutiny. I'm sure that if it had been 1-1 they'd have played very differently.

A positive for me was Hugo Bueno's little cameo in the 2nd half, two wonderful balls into the box and one were Doherty should be burying. I'd play him with RAN ahead of him on Tuesday. Again I say he's the best crosser of a ball for me at the club.
Think most would suggest it at the mo

Villa stuck with what they'd got at 2-0 so your suggestion we were two incidents away from a point doesn't bear scrutiny. I'm sure that if it had been 1-1 they'd have played very differently.
Im sure if we'd have gone 1 0 up it would have been an entirely different game...

But you go ahead and completely ignore that completely hypothetical scenario whilst acknowledging your assurance that another completely hypothetical scenario would play out.

Im sure if we'd have gone 1 0 up it would have been an entirely different game...

But you go ahead and completely ignore that completely hypothetical scenario whilst acknowledging your assurance that another completely hypothetical scenario would play out.
We had one decent chance all game, Villa had a number and were by far the better side. Pretending two incidents cost us a point is doing some seriously heavy lifting.

We had one decent chance all game, Villa had a number and were by far the better side. Pretending two incidents cost us a point is doing some seriously heavy lifting.
At the point at which RAN missed (well, hit the keeper) they'd offered virtually nothing and we'd had about 70% of the ball. Not a huge stretch to say we might have had a good shout of protecting that lead as Villa didn't play well and we could have sat in a bit more. We had the higher xG across the game whichever source you look at.

Once they went 1-0 up we were always unlikely to get back into it with a front three of a career defensive midfielder, a wide player who has scored 3 (one a penalty) for us in his 15 months at the club and an 18 year old on debut. And 2-0 killed it.

That last paragraph fucks me off no end, a bloody self inflicted situation.

That last paragraph fucks me off no end, a bloody self inflicted situation.
It's nonsense but I think most called it out as such two months ago (while also not wanting Broja/Adams either).

Fofana and Brereton-Diaz have 4 PL goals each since January, neither are expensive and they signed for the bottom 2 (by miles) in the league, we could and should have got one of them or someone of around that level and actively chose not to.

I do worry with our scouting that we looked at Broja to start with and allegedly still want him now after he has done NOTHING for a team below us in the table, he's awful.

People said similar of our link with Dawson and to a degree with Lemina. Described as shit, desperate etc

All of the above though are crap squad fillers....would love to have crap squad fillers right now though

Cresswell was hand-in-hand with Lopetegui wasn't he. As Tetchy of Tettenhall decided he didn't like RAN and had decided Jonny was done, in which case we needed someone else there.

Once he'd gone I don't think we were remotely interested.

Back