• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Aston Villa (H) 2/4/22 - Build-Up & Match Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jonny is the worst going forwards of the three.

Semedo carries the ball forward and overlaps.
RAN can dribble and also overlaps.
Jonny makes more steady positional progress but is good on the ball and is a clever player.

None of them cross particularly well.
They're all quite different, not sure I agree about Semedo, does he overlap much? Even when he does he generally ends up working it backwards and sideways.
Jonny is the best of them positionally, you only have to look at the goal he scored against Leeds.
RAN does get forward well and dribbles but half the time he doesn't have the ball under control properly.
I think we're lucky to have the 3 of them, great backup for one another and each offers something a bit different.

Jonny's game is much more controlled than Semedo. The latter because of his pace looks more effective than he actually is, Troare similarities in that. Semedo can't cross, can't beat a man, can't shoot, he gets put in those positions and fair play for giving it a go, but that doesn't actually make him particularly good at it. Neither are the ideal wing back they are both full backs, but Jonny is just a better footballer so does a better job of it.

Jonny - 80 PL Apps, 4 G, 4 A
Semedo - 57 PL Apps, 1 G, 2 A.

I'm a fan of Semedo but how anybody can say he's better attacking is beyond me. He's a right back.
Jonny has a goal and an assist already this season doesn't he? Although i do agree, generally Semedo is much more attacking.

RAN, Jonny and Semedo are remarkably different really aren't they, considering they play the same position. (on differing flanks, obviously)

I think people are getting confused with attacking and carrying the ball forwards.

I can't remember if Semedo has ever beat a man or made space for a cross. He does get the odd shot in occasionally.

Jonny didn't get an assist for RAN as it was an own goal.

Last edited:
Although we play with wing-backs, the way we build attacks has never really been that suited to them getting much in the way of goal contributions. In the Championship Douglas got a few in open play because we were the dominant team most of the time but even he had a lot of set piece goals and assists. Doherty is probably the one we've most accommodated in that sense, allowing him to get inside the box while Traore/Neto drifts wide for example.

Think Jonny is the overall better footballer but as said, both of them would be very good full backs. We just need the centre backs to play a back four...

Shame we can't have this same discussion about having too many players of quality to fit in to the central midfield roles. Or up top.

Although we play with wing-backs, the way we build attacks has never really been that suited to them getting much in the way of goal contributions. In the Championship Douglas got a few in open play because we were the dominant team most of the time but even he had a lot of set piece goals and assists. Doherty is probably the one we've most accommodated in that sense, allowing him to get inside the box while Traore/Neto drifts wide for example.

Think Jonny is the overall better footballer but as said, both of them would be very good full backs. We just need the centre backs to play a back four...
I think RAN has the highest ceiling but not sure if him in a back 4 gets the best out of him though.

Today's line-up of cunts you love to hate:

Referee: Darren England. Assistants: Adrian Holmes, Matthew Wilkes. Fourth official: Darren Bond. VAR: Lee Mason. Assistant VAR: Stuart Burt.

545B987E-43E8-4038-9D6E-099289AEFA91.jpeg

My eyes. My beautiful eyes.

Surely that’s Marcal LWB (why?) and Podence in a front three with Fabio & Trincao?

Marcal is baffling but otherwise the team i would have picked. Let’s hope trincao can follow up with a good performance

Can't wait for Marcal to go in the Summer so he can't pick him

Centre midfield is a concern for me, I can see us being overrun

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back