• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Best England XI (1978 to 2020)

He was great until he went to Italy (Sampdoria not Italia 90). Never seemed the same afterwards and wasn't capped after 1993.

Think his pace started to dip a bit, that got him out of trouble a lot, also he wasn't great on the ball so the backpass change didn't help him. Getting burned by Overmars at Wembley was a sign it was all over for him at the top.

He was still good for Wednesday though.

Ferdinand
Campbell
Adams
King

Ferdinand
Terry
Campbell
Butcher

Really want to include others (e.g. Butcher) but I think this four are out on their own:

Ferdinand
Campbell
Terry
Adams

BTW are we picking on club form, international form, both or ability? As we get into other positions this will become more relevant

Really want to include others (e.g. Butcher) but I think this four are out on their own:

Ferdinand
Campbell
Terry
Adams

BTW are we picking on club form, international form, both or ability? As we get into other positions this will become more relevant

Open to your own interpretation really. From my point of view I'm picking them on their England careers.

Open to your own interpretation really. From my point of view I'm picking them on their England careers.

Yeah, likewise (and only based on what I personally saw - Shilton could have been great pre-Euro 88 for all I know, but I can only judge him on my own viewing).

Interesting that Sol is getting the nod so far. He was never really a first choice after 2004 when he was still only 30, and was gubbins in Euro 2000 (along with virtually everyone in the squad). Also was absolutely pap when McClaren brought him back in.

I don't like John Terry as a person but I don't think he ever let England down. Adams was a colossus in the Venables/Hoddle days.

Rio is easily the best.

Ferdinand

Terry

Campbell

King

If only we had that nowadays.

Ferdinand
Terry
Campbell
Adams
Thought about Southgate instead of Adams, better footballer but not as an out and out CH

Yeah, likewise (and only based on what I personally saw - Shilton could have been great pre-Euro 88 for all I know, but I can only judge him on my own viewing).

Interesting that Sol is getting the nod so far. He was never really a first choice after 2004 when he was still only 30, and was gubbins in Euro 2000 (along with virtually everyone in the squad). Also was absolutely pap when McClaren brought him back in.

I don't like John Terry as a person but I don't think he ever let England down. Adams was a colossus in the Venables/Hoddle days.

Rio is easily the best.

Can’t include Terry for me, he was a good (if overrated) player but his career should have ended when he was caught being a racist.

Campbell was a monster at his peak. Better than Terry at his.

I'm only really picking on England form. Barnes was shit for England. Ince was always good despite indifferent club spells.

Terry
Adams
Campbell
Ferdinand

Adams
Ferdinand
Butcher
King

Walker
Ferdinand
Adams
Butcher

We have had a lot of good CHs (and keepers) over the years, just not right now.

Back