• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Bristol City 1 - 2 Wolves: Verdict thread

Let's just stop this bickering right now and not ruin another thread with it please guys.

I think it's more their style of play - they look to get forward quickly attacking defenders, usually playing off a more static player holding the ball up. Once bonatini went off then they had no one to pass the ball on to.

Agree. Jota, Costa and Cav too are brilliant at short 1-2s. Just had no one to do it with for obvious reasons

Let's just stop this bickering right now and not ruin another thread with it please guys.

I'll second that because lately it's all becoming a bit bloody boring, tedious, and repetitive and it's no wonder folks are bloody bored with it all.

Only just got round to posting as I've been in the pub since the game ended! What a rollercoaster game. Thought both sendings off were correct, thought we were quite poor in possession at times and down to 10 men you need to be better at keeping the ball, but we defended brilluantly apart from one crucial lapse. At 1-0 down I honestly thought we were certain to lose, but Cav was the difference maker, he completely swung the game in our favour. Once they were down to 10 as well and we scored I thought we would go on to win it, even though I'd have happily taken the point. I don't think I've celebrated a goal quite as joyously as Bennett's for quite some time. You'll be hard pushed to see a better cross than Douglas's all season. Simply undefendable.

Great result, great spirit. Onwards and upwards to the Prem. We won't be caught now I don't think.

Related note, though I'd be surprised if anyone knew - what has the biggest gap between first and third ever been in the Championship?

I think it's more their style of play - they look to get forward quickly attacking defenders, usually playing off a more static player holding the ball up. Once bonatini went off then they had no one to pass the ball on to.
I suppose that's true but I've said before that we don't settle into attacking possession often enough and I think it's in part because those players too often try to beat the entire defense by themselves.

I don't know if this is a great description but too often it feels as if we're simultaneously playing two teams; one lined up in a 3-4-0 and the other in a 0-0-3.

Not saying Jota or Costa are bad players at all but I think someone on the coaching staff needs to blend their direct style with a little more link to Neves and Saïss.

Related note, though I'd be surprised if anyone knew - what has the biggest gap between first and third ever been in the Championship?

Over the last 10 years, us by 10 points in 08/09 and Cardiff (12/13) and Newcastle last year both had 9.

Was (quite rightly) furious with him for the way he gave the ball away for their goal - was so, so lazy. But clearly that was a reactionary/inflammatory post in the heat of the moment. He did the best possible thing and made up for the error at the other end which is all you can ask for.

In a perverse kinda way, that was better winning like that then playing them off the park and winning 5-0.

Absolutely loved Nuno’s celebration.

To be fair to Douglas, i think he instinctively thinks Jota is there but hes still jogging back onside.
I suppose its the way we are playing nowadays that it comes as a second thought this passing lark.

Bristol city have scored a hat full of late goals this season, we showed character to stay in the game and the pass that led to fielding being sent off was top draw.
Once we levelled we looked far more assured and other than a few balls flung into the box we were untroubled.

Didn't Costa pretty much run the length of the pitch with the ball twice?

The work rate him and Jota put in was top drawer

Finally back home after the best away day I have had in a very very long time - still on a high so may be less than coherent

Couldn't comment on the Batth red card as up the other end of the pitch, but the BC keeper's was nailed on - and Doherty would have scored, ball was past the keeper & he was in control. Was right in front of me & he had only to roll it into an empty net if he hadn't been brought down.

Scenes in the away end when Bennett rose to nod home were incredible. As for Nuno - he was still clearly fully pumped up when he came out to acknowledge the fans.

Even the weather was kinder than forecast - there are bits that we can still improve further on but after a display like that I am not going to criticise anyone (apart from the Ref who despite what some others have said made some fairly odd decisions)

Days like this make following Wolves very worthwhile

Just watched the highlights properly. For their goal Boly gets caught way too languid upfield, and Douglas has to try and track Reid but can't get back in time. Poor from Willy. It's a good move though so credit where it's due too. The slightest of deflections possibly made a difference. Ruddy might have got a hand to it but I reckon it still would have gone in as he couldn't get down quick enough.

They say they were unlucky with the deflection for our free kick that Douglas scored, but watching it again in slow motion, it was hit even better than his first one that rattled the post. It was curling well inside the post this time and the keeper was absolutely nowhere near it again. If anything it deflected it closer to him and gave him more of a chance of actually saving it.

I suppose that's true but I've said before that we don't settle into attacking possession often enough and I think it's in part because those players too often try to beat the entire defense by themselves.

I don't know if this is a great description but too often it feels as if we're simultaneously playing two teams; one lined up in a 3-4-0 and the other in a 0-0-3.

Not saying Jota or Costa are bad players at all but I think someone on the coaching staff needs to blend their direct style with a little more link to Neves and Saïss.

No matter how many times I read this I can't make head nor tail of it.

Just watched the highlights properly. For their goal Boly gets caught way too languid upfield, and Douglas has to try and track Reid but can't get back in time. Poor from Willy. It's a good move though so credit where it's due too. The slightest of deflections possibly made a difference. Ruddy might have got a hand to it but I reckon it still would have gone in as he couldn't get down quick enough.

They say they were unlucky with the deflection for our free kick that Douglas scored, but watching it again in slow motion, it was hit even better than his first one that rattled the post. It was curling well inside the post this time and the keeper was absolutely nowhere near it again. If anything it deflected it closer to him and gave him more of a chance of actually saving it.

If Douglas doesn't give the ball away in such a poor position the rest of the defence doesn't get caught flat footed or square which is what freezes them. The deflections on both the City goal and Douglas free kick undoes both Keeper's as they are already mid movement and can't adjust.

Think both deflections were pretty similar, both put the ball closer to the keeper but unfortunately put it beneath their bodies whereas they might have both been saved by an outstretched hand otherwise. If they'd been on that trajectory without the deflections they'd have been comfortable saves for keepers but once they'd committed to a wider trajectory the slight deflections made them both look mugs.

I'm not entirely sure it's this forum which has changed Frank.

Sorry but I am sure it is, but as I said I am beyond caring. You can all say or think what you want. I remember when contrasting opinions were welcome on here, but now it seems everyone must agree with each other or face ridicule and abuse. Surely the point of places such as this is to allow people give differing opinions, but as I know that is no longer the case.

Wow. We've won in the injury time at one of our nearest rivals. LETS ALL HAVE A DISCO, LETS ALL HAVE A DISCO NA NA NA NA, NA NA NA NA...

Sorry but I am sure it is, but as I said I am beyond caring. You can all say or think what you want. I remember when contrasting opinions were welcome on here, but now it seems everyone must agree with each other or face ridicule and abuse. Surely the point of places such as this is to allow people give differing opinions, but as I know that is no longer the case.

Opposing opinions are welcome. Victim hood is not. If someone disagrees with you have the balls to argue your point instead of playing the victim. No one here has the right to not have their opinions accepted without challenge.

Back