• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Burnley (A) 2/4: Build-Up & Match Thread

Yeah it's pretty entitled to suggest we should just turn up and beat anyone in this league, especially at this stage of the season AND given our pathetic attacking options. Their forwards would have started for us today for example.

I'm not saying we're entitled to - I'm pissed off that we pretty much didn't try to.

I wouldn't expect us to beat anyone with Chiwome and Sarabia up top. Che Adams walks into our side at the moment. Fucking Fosun.
Exactly, it's so weird, as when the team was announced the narrative was so bloody negative. Now we've drawn suddenly it's "we should be beating these"

Bizarre.

It’s not that Burnley are shit but we are capable of beating them if we have a proper go at it.
I suppose my point is that I believe the same is true of them against most Prem sides.

For a positive spin, if you told me in August that we'd be level on points with Brighton come April, I would have taken that. I didn't at all expect we would keep pace with those damn Gulls, yet here we are.

I'm not saying we're entitled to - I'm pissed off that we pretty much didn't try to.
That's not true though is it?

You said yourself we needed to make changes due to tiredness, and we did. I thought Traore had come on in CM to tighten it up, but he was LW! I don't think GON didn't try to win at all, just that Burnley didn't let us.

I suppose my point is that I believe the same is true of them against most Prem sides.

For a positive spin, if you told me in August that we'd be level on points with Brighton come April, I would have taken that. I didn't at all expect we would keep pace with those damn Gulls, yet here we are.
As i said at the start of the game, if you'd have said at the start of the season we'd be starting a game with this:

-------------Sa
Semedo Kilman Toti Bueno
Doc Gomes Lemina RAN
----Sarabia Chiwome

We'd have expected our position would be rock bottom!

That's not true though is it?

You said yourself we needed to make changes due to tiredness, and we did. I thought Traore had come on in CM to tighten it up, but he was LW! I don't think GON didn't try to win at all, just that Burnley didn't let us.
Putting a DM at LW isn't exactly a demonstration of intent

But it's not settling for a draw either is it?
It's not just about who was on the pitch. We'd pretty much given up on impressing ourselves on the game by the 70th minute, and basically gone into game management mode to protect the draw. They had brought Jay Rodriguez on by then though so can understand the retreat

If we put an extra body forward and then got countered and lost, I don't think we'd be thanking Gary tbf.

If we put an extra body forward and then got countered and lost, I don't think we'd be thanking Gary tbf.
There's quite a big grey area between our 5401 and gungho mentalness

It's not just about who was on the pitch. We'd pretty much given up on impressing ourselves on the game by the 70th minute, and basically gone into game management mode to protect the draw. They had brought Jay Rodriguez on by then though so can understand the retreat
I only saw the last few mins but it seemed like we were trying to attack in that time. Couple of good opportunities messed up by Traore.

Given our recent late collapses, i can understand why we might want to retreat a little.

Oh, and Jay Rodriguez would have started for us today too, no question.

We didn't play 541 though, Traore was quite obviously "up top" with Cunha, which is weird, but pisses on the idea (that i had) that GON was playing for a draw when he made that sub, it was like for like (positionally, only positionally, obviously :ROFLMAO: )

Getting exposed on the counter happens to us a lot, we scarcely need to be throwing insane numbers forward to get caught out that way.

Leaving it there, I do appreciate your frustration to an extent.

You don't think we had a "proper go at it"?

I think that's bollocks, they played well, and we were ok given what we had available.
We regularly took a safety first approach in possession. In normal circumstances it wouldn’t be a bad point, and given our front line it is indeed a good point but from about 70 minutes it felt like we were hoping something would break our way rather than trying to force it.

Given the bench I'm not sure what else GON could really have done.

Chiwome is an excellent prospect, but he's not ready for this level yet. He was just unable to hold the ball up which meant it frequently came back, this meant Burnley could press us high and gave them the initiative.

I'm not sure if h Bueno is a PL player yet either. I think he needs more game time, possibly at championship level.

Back