• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

[Carabao Cup] Wolves 2-1 Preston: Verdict Thread

Raul's goal is exactly the sort of goal we should be scoring time and time again, but often we don't have Raul/AN other in that position or hanging back for the cut back.

RAN gets in that sort of position constantly.

Interesting that when we had our first choice outfield ten on the pitch in the second half that we once again created no chances at all against a team that sat deep. In that scenario 433 (or 4123 as it becomes, with the three wide and isolated) isn’t working any better for us than 343 or 352 did.
Sacrilege to say, as they are the best two midfielders we’ve had in the last 40 years, but I think we need to be playing 4231 with Neves and Nunes as the two, with Moutinho being back up to either (or in effect picking the form two from three).
When we play a midfield three that includes both Neves and Moutinho, Neves drops deeper and deeper and Moutinho never breaks lines or drives forward sufficiently enough leading to a lopsided attack or the horseshoe of doom.
Getting a striker in the box in the way Jimenez scored last night should be a given with the amount of times we have the ball wide in our opponent’s half, but the continual failure to deliver a cross and the recycling of the ball back via Neves means any runs the striker makes are futile and become easy to defend.

Last edited:
Forgot to mention last night, we were sat behind Jeff (best seats I've ever had) and at the end of the game we noticed Moxey was in with the bigwigs.

Forgot to mention last night, we were sat behind Jeff (best seats I've ever had) and at the end of the game we noticed Moxey was in with the bigwigs.
He was mentioned on commentary too.

Interesting that when we had our first choice outfield ten on the pitch in the second half that we once again created no chances at all against a team that sat deep. In that scenario 433 (or 4123 as it becomes, with the three wide and isolated) isn’t working any better for us than 343 or 352 did.
Sacrilege to say, as they are the best two midfielders we’ve had in the last 40 years, but I think we need to be playing 4231 with Neves and Nunes as the two, with Moutinho being back up to either (or in effect picking the form two from three).
When we play a midfield three that includes both Neves and Moutinho, Neves drops deeper and deeper and Moutinho never breaks lines or drives forward sufficiently enough leading to a lopsided attack or the horseshoe of doom.
Getting a striker in the box in the way Jimenez scored last night should be a given with the amount of times we have the ball wide in our opponent’s half, but the continual failure to deliver a cross and the recycling of the ball back via Neves means any runs the striker makes are futile and become easy to defend.
Have to agree regarding the midfield 3, Moutinho is still class and he does control a game when he’s on it but far too often he doesn’t actually go forward and relies on just moving the ball side to side. With more possession now we need someone that can unlock a defence which also gets someone closer to Raul and can bring the wider players into the game too. Podence probably the closest we’ve got now we haven’t got Morgan but he’s nowhere near consistent enough.

Have to agree regarding the midfield 3, Moutinho is still class and he does control a game when he’s on it but far too often he doesn’t actually go forward and relies on just moving the ball side to side. With more possession now we need someone that can unlock a defence which also gets someone closer to Raul and can bring the wider players into the game too. Podence probably the closest we’ve got now we haven’t got Morgan but he’s nowhere near consistent enough.
Got to say, as much as I love Moutinho, he was part of the problem second half, pretty much turned back and passed sideways or backwards when there looked to be options to be more forward thinking as we were first half, all the midfield (even Donk) and Kilman looked to play balls between the lines but they seemed stop doing that for lots of the second half, I guess they were 'managing' the game.

Not a Podence fan by any stretch, but he did drop into some really good pockets between the lines numerous times after he came on and showed to feet. Not once did we slide the ball into him. Now that might because, like me, they expect him to lose it, but if it's being coached that way on the training pitch and not being implemented on match day then the message is either not getting through or is being ignored*.
I also think Moutinho was keeping the ball to 'manage' the game as sycophantia suggests and we did (I think) have a high percentage of possession in the last half hour. However Preston, despite their limited time with the ball, created more threat than we did and got behind and in on goal more readily. I didn't ever think we were going to lose, but also didn't feel as though we had another gear if we had conceded.
*the penalty is a good example of this. It's not a testimonial.

It's almost like the fondness/reliance on a back three wasn't the reason for Wolves' attacking woes at all.

Just seen the Traore goal on Twitter, one observation from me. It was followed by that shit music. That means in the end of season survey more of you said you'd keep it rather than bin it. Fuck you, fuck every last one of you
Anybody who voted in favour of it deserves an immediate life time ban. You shouldn't be anywhere near a football ground if you think goal music is a good thing.

It's almost like the fondness/reliance on a back three wasn't the reason for Wolves' attacking woes at all.
Without a doubt, as well as coaching i do think there's a number of our players who are very much safety first at times when they don't need to be and without Jimenez on top form and Jota in a front 2 we've not really had anyone else who looked like a goalscorer. When you know you aren't going to score you automatically drop deeper and defend more.

Back