• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

[Carabao Cup] Wolves 2-1 Preston: Verdict Thread

The Bear

Euro 2012 PTG Champion
Staff member
Reaction score

Would have been much more comfortable if we'd have given Raul the penalty as should have happened.

Good to get a win though, and sounds like most played well.

Last edited:
The penalty miss was pivotal. 3-0 and could have coasted. Miss it, they score early in second half and ends up far more nervy than needed to be.

Good to see Raul score, should have taken the penalty and Traore's goal was brilliant but at that point was looking for a confidence building stroll.

Wins a win. Hopefully a confidence builder and we kick on against Newcastle. Some valuable minutes for some of our players and sounds like they have come through unscathed

Every match I just feel sorry for Hwang at this point. He’s like all of my professional anxiety wrapped up in one poor, cursed footballer.

Played quite well although we allowed them back into it a bit in the 2nd half. At the end of the day if it's a game that matters Raúl takes that pen, it's 3-0 and the rest of the game is a walk in the park.

Big take away from the game today was how much fun it's going to be watching Matheus Nunes this season. Similar to Rúben, sometimes he does things that just make you laugh out loud they're so outrageous.

First half good. Second half rubbish. Subs made us worse.

No, really?!

Lage cannot manage a game at all. He either does or doesn't pick the right team to start. Then it's hope our best players win us the game. He has no other positive input.

The subs didn't make us worse. PNE had their best spell before the subs, after that it died down again.

Considering we bought on over £100m of talent to become IMO a worse attacking force I wasn’t overly impressed. Wasn’t arsed about what happened at the other end, that wasn’t really ever a factor. I was interested in how we were in an attacking sense with a strong lineup against poor opposition, given that is where our deficiencies lie.

I was impressed with how we played in the first half and sat their thinking “if only that wasn’t Donck/Hwang/Traore, we’d be smashing these”. Then I got my wish and it didn’t happen.

Traore actually did alright and showed awareness of his surroundings. Hwang was busy and had a good moments but they’re never going to lead to anything.

I thought Bringing on the big guns against a tiring mid table championship side would see us put them to bed but it wasn’t to be.

I thought Bringing on the big guns against a tiring mid table championship side would see us put them to bed but it wasn’t to be.
For clarity it was a tiring mid table championship reserve team, but our players haven't shone in these kind of games with the odd exception for a couple of decades maybe more. To paraphrase DW from before the game a win is a tick in the box, but I don't think anything has been gained or lost in terms of style or confidence based on what people are saying

No, really?!

Lage cannot manage a game at all. He either does or doesn't pick the right team to start. Then it's hope our best players win us the game. He has no other positive input.

I thought Lage got the subs about right, we had dropped our intensity and the guys he bought on were the correct ones, just didn't gel for some reason and then we just managed the game.

Interesting maths you've done there.

Don't disagree with the larger point though.
The fees we paid for the 5 subs were touching that cba to look it up, but somewhere north of 90m. We want 100m for 2 of them

Interesting maths you've done there.

Don't disagree with the larger point though.
Well I could have put £60-£80m but it would be stupid as no one thinks Neves and Neto are worth £16m now

I thought Lage got the subs about right, we had dropped our intensity and the guys he bought on were the correct ones, just didn't gel for some reason and then we just managed the game.
Yeah, but this is the pattern. Often you'll think "that's the right change" and yet 9 times out of 10 we're worse. There's only one common denominator.

It isn't a strength of his, put it that way. Our record when we concede first isn't an accident.

Yeah, but this is the pattern. Often you'll think "that's the right change" and yet 9 times out of 10 we're worse. There's only one common denominator.

It isn't a strength of his, put it that way. Our record when we concede first isn't an accident.

Quite often it's the timing, can see the flow of the game and how we need to change it up, we don't make the change for another 5-10 mins and by then we are under pressure.

Bit of a mixed bag, we started really well, positive attacking football ending up with a good move by Max and RAN and a nice finish from Raul. We went flay for a bit then picked up leading to another good goal and a penalty.
LET YOUR PENALTY TAKER TAKE THE FUCKING PENALTYS.
Should have been 3-0 and a comfy end to the game.
Second half was mostly a shit show, terrible, sloppy defending gifting them a goal, then they had good 10 minutes. We then reverted to our play of the last 2 seasons, turgid negative stuff (apart from 2 or 3 good attacking moves), over and under hit passes, very frustrating.
Nunes was an absolute baller first half, not quite so effective second......was shitting myself when he got clattered.

Last edited:

I think his game management is shit on the whole but dont think that was the case tonight, made the right subs at the right time imo, Neto and Guedes just didn't assert themselves.

For clarity it was a tiring mid table championship reserve team, but our players haven't shone in these kind of games with the odd exception for a couple of decades maybe more. To paraphrase DW from before the game a win is a tick in the box, but I don't think anything has been gained or lost in terms of style or confidence based on what people are saying
Wow! I assumed it was their first team given it was vaguely competitive. 9 changes from the weekend. If we’d have made 9 changes from Spurs we’d have likely struggled.

First 45 minutes were professional and the game should be over with the penalty but Raul and Hwang decided to fuck about. Bruno isn’t happy about it but it shouldn’t happen.

Second half was awful really and we let Preston in to the game far too easily. Neto and Guedes were really poor when they came on apart from the one cross to Jimenez from Pedro but that’s not on Lage. I do think he has to take some of the blame for how the team came out second half but so do the more senior players like Joao and Donk.

I don’t think tonight will have any impact on Sunday but whoever the front 3 are need to massively improve or it’s a waste to have Neves and Nunes on the pitch who both look a class apart.

Back