• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Climate Change Debate

I've already got plenty of dong energy.

Cut my lawn this afternoon, not bad for the first week of Feb.

Cut my lawn this afternoon, not bad for the first week of Feb.

You must be bored, not being at work!

Nah!, never gonna happen.

Almost did that yesterday, but didn't dry out quickly enough & then a short shower topped it up - will be done soon though.

Agree with Rovert47 - really not bored at all - & so much time available :nod:. Best bit is no rushing in the morning trying to get to work on time

Almost did that yesterday, but didn't dry out quickly enough & then a short shower topped it up - will be done soon though.

Agree with Rovert47 - really not bored at all - & so much time available :nod:. Best bit is no rushing in the morning trying to get to work on time

Don't suppose either of you fancy popping over to cut my lawn?

If you're really bored, you could scarify it too? :icon_wink:

Ha, the chances of me ever working again for anyone other than myself are about as likely as consensus being reached on climate change.

Don't suppose either of you fancy popping over to cut my lawn?

If you're really bored, you could scarify it too? :icon_wink:

Could be persuaded, but do charge £15 per hour (inc travel time) - from down here suspect its not worth your while :D

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-35741772

So we offer EDF a MASSIVE subsidy, we also get the Chinese to chip in, and EDF's directors are still resigning because they think its economically unviable.

Nuclear power makes no economic sense.

i know what you are getting at but just to temper most new build makes no economic sense to an investor without receiving a particular level of subsidy. the amount required is down to the risk/return balance. i say the same things for renewables so i'm not being unbalanced unlike some others.

a nation of course needs to invest in its infrastructure which of course will cost something, with economic and non-economic rewards.

it's fair to say this particular project may not be the best nuclear has to offer, is hugely expensive and could have been done much more cheaply if the UK had directly invested itself rather than subsidising another state to do it for the next 35 years. and it's been done in desperation because of the energy gap, but that's what a failed privatisation in energy generation gets you - you could point the finger all the way back to the generation that voted for it and the political conmen that have upheld it even when it has been evidentially failing.

this isn't talked about much either. who knows what it's doing to sea-life regionally and beyond. in any nuclear deal, an operator's liability for clean-up must always be capped, leaving the consumer State bearing the risk of any excess.

http://phys.org/news/2016-03-mutations-dna-fukushima-forests-greenpeace.html

of course the original deal between EDF and Britain was improved by the EU favourably for Britain. so if I were EDF I'd certainly wait until the referendum result before committing to anything. if Britain votes to leave it's an opportune time to renegotiate the deal anyway. i mean it's not as if Britain's energy needs will disappear and it's not as if there's anyone else who's going to commit to build the plant currently, or seemingly any other. the last capacity mechanism delivered zero of new build. i know dave and george have been sucking up to the communists in china but i don't think building a nuclear Britain is their priority at the moment. so i'd certainly advise EDF to wait, they have precisely nothing to lose by doing so. perhaps that's what the FD sensibly thought and he's been overruled.

of course the original deal between EDF and Britain was improved by the EU favourably for Britain. so if I were EDF I'd certainly wait until the referendum result before committing to anything. if Britain votes to leave it's an opportune time to renegotiate the deal anyway. i mean it's not as if Britain's energy needs will disappear and it's not as if there's anyone else who's going to commit to build the plant currently, or seemingly any other. the last capacity mechanism delivered zero of new build. i know dave and george have been sucking up to the communists in china but i don't think building a nuclear Britain is their priority at the moment. so i'd certainly advise EDF to wait, they have precisely nothing to lose by doing so. perhaps that's what the FD sensibly thought and he's been overruled.
Am I correct in thinking that the cost of this project is well in excess of EDF's available resources?

Am I correct in thinking that the cost of this project is well in excess of EDF's available resources?

per the article posted by Vis

Francois Raillot from the union which has a seat on EDF's board, said the company could sell some assets to finance Hinkley Point, but added: "It is a very bad time to do it because the price of energy is so low.
The state, which is a shareholder, will have to give [EDF] money to do it. But another problem is that the French state has no money."

so sounds like it but obviously that can't be the case when they commit to contract. they would need to know exactly where the funds are coming from with appropriate guarantees from the funders.

EDF is state owned and so the French state could provide funds and could probably borrow long term at a lower rate than, say, a private company. given EDF and its chinese counterparty are both essentially state owned companies it is essentially france and china providing the funds. I think for edf it'll be more complicated than the chinese company given it also has shares that trade so you have issues about how the funding would come in from the state - ie if via equity is there a dilution of the minorities. that may be something that the FD couldn't reconcile as there is a duty to those minorities not just the french state. it says Eu 18bn needed of which the chinese party will provide Eu 8bn, so edf portion in build terms is Eu 10bn + standby.

as well as the direct investment needed to build the plant edf has to consider whole host of other risks - cost overruns for example, what insurance cover they can get for various events of delay etc, and they'll be up for some stated degree in cost of contamination risk that if they haven't enough free resource to cover at contract start then the UK would likely require the French state to guarantee.

Back