• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Coronavirus

Waiting for those 2nd does to catch up and the maximum immunity to develop from there?

After the last 12 months I don't think a little extra caution is too much to endure.

Been plenty of complaints of the government locking down too late, being too slack with rules and not learning from their mistakes. It seems they've finally done the latter and the result is the first two get reversed. I get people are frustrated but you can't have your cake and eat it.

The Covid passport is just a waste of time. It can’t even be a thing until everyone’s been offered the vaccine. And by the time that happens Covid won’t have been an issue for months.

It basically isn’t a thing now. The number are rapidly declining, the vulnerable have been vaccinated. Herd immunity has been achieved although it will never be completely eradicated. I can understand the excess caution to get a few second doses in for a couple of weeks (even though the second doses will make little to no difference statistically just based on the science). But making plans to limit things in August is just stupid.

The Covid passport is just a waste of time. It can’t even be a thing until everyone’s been offered the vaccine. And by the time that happens Covid won’t have been an issue for months.

It basically isn’t a thing now. The number are rapidly declining, the vulnerable have been vaccinated. Herd immunity has been achieved although it will never be completely eradicated. I can understand the excess caution to get a few second doses in for a couple of weeks (even though the second doses will make little to no difference statistically just based on the science). But making plans to limit things in August is just stupid.
Take this view and a very sizeable %age of the population will not bother to get vaccinated, which will encourage further mutations and end up with more lockdown shit.

I'd say the complaint is the government ignoring data, which is exactly what they're doing now.

We were able to do more last summer when death rates, hospital occupancy and I'm pretty sure cases were higher than they are now

We can't forever be worried about mutations, the virus WILL mutate somewhere in the world at some point and it's inevitable it'll make its way here. (It mutates all the time anyway)

Keeping lockdown as a method of preventing mutations won't work.

Take this view and a very sizeable %age of the population will not bother to get vaccinated, which will encourage further mutations and end up with more lockdown shit.
But it’s going to mutate anyway (it can’t just change completely rendering previous vaccines uneless), it’s never going away, enough of the population have already been vaccinated (c. 60% of adults), with plenty of under 50s keen for it as well. So yeah, not an issue.

Current vaccines are incredibly good. The amount of over 65s who are showing up in the daily case counts are in the range of 100-200 out of 3-5k cases.

All those over 60 or with underlying heath conditions will have had their second jab by mid May. That's the sensible date to remove all restrictions for me
Yep.

Its a killer being stuck in this but I want it to be last time.

Israel is where to look, even if they do have a vaccine passport in use but they started coming out of lockdown when the vunerable were fully vaccinated and are very close to normal right now (a few things still controlled) and their R is something like 0.4 and falling.
We are about 4-5 weeks behind them, so that kind of takes us just before the May 17th. If we are hitting Israel numbers then the 21st June lifting will need to be moved forward but nothing extra before the 17th May.
At least its only 10 days until things actually start to change

The second dose actually makes a lot 9f difference to those that are immuno compromised. First dose can be only about 20-30% effective for some.

The second dose actually makes a lot 9f difference to those that are immuno compromised. First dose can be only about 20-30% effective for some.
Thing is though if you're immunocompromised (and you will know if you are!) then you shouldn't be going going to the cinema or down the pub anyway until you're double shotted.

Everyone else shouldn't need to be shut away to protect from that.

We were able to do more last summer when death rates, hospital occupancy and I'm pretty sure cases were higher than they are now
Isn't that sentence answering it's own question ?

We have lived with this for so long then another few weeks merely keeps the current status quo of my life - don't want to do it again & can wait till May 17th for a real release - not sure that there will be any real justification to continue restrictions after that (apart from maybe some for overseas travel to certain areas who aren't as far on in the vaccine cycle as we are)

Yeah, and we're back to "just a few more weeks". You know, I heard this a year ago.

I don't want a few more weeks, there's no rationale for this. One more day is fucking dreadful, let alone another 9-10 weeks. It's a long time.

I'd say the complaint is the government ignoring data, which is exactly what they're doing now.

And we ended up with another lockdown and renewed restrictions following that relaxed summer, which vast swathes of people complained about and pointed the figure at not learning from the first time.

Now here we are, doing things differently, lessons seemingly learnt and yet people still complaining.

And we ended up with another lockdown and renewed restrictions following that relaxed summer, which vast swathes of people complained about and pointed the figure at not learning from the first time.

Now here we are, doing things differently, lessons seemingly learnt and yet people still complaining.
We didn't have a vaccine then, it's not analogous.

Hospitalisations of the under 50s have always been tiny, let alone deaths.

Thing is though if you're immunocompromised (and you will know if you are!) then you shouldn't be going going to the cinema or down the pub anyway until you're double shotted.

Everyone else shouldn't need to be shut away to protect from that.
Which is fair. As of yesterday they will have to go back to work though, so perhaps support for them shielding should have been extended.
(And if your GP fucks up and leaves you off the CEV, then you don't know if you are immunocompromised, though I appreciate that is a niche issue...)

Back