• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Coronavirus

It was 20k per week in the January peak in winter in an unvaccinated population. It fell as quickly as it rose.

Common sense just tells you it won’t be that again. And if it is then the vaccines were a total waste of time.

There are more than 20m people who haven't had a vaccine of any sort yet. Only 1/2 the population are double jabbed.

That's a lot of potential cases, especially in an unrestricted, delta world.

But why do cases matter?

I'm 40 and I'll be double jabbed tomorrow. I'm not in any sense vulnerable to Covid.

There are more than 20m people who haven't had a vaccine of any sort yet. Only 1/2 the population are double jabbed.

Surely a large proportion of those 20m people are under the age of 20 or so who get next to no symptoms if they do get Covid?

And according to JCVI these people are literally irrelevant statistically. People who had their second dose months ago are more at risk than the people who haven’t had it yet.

We need to be preparing boosters for JCVI 1-9 before we vaccinate the rest to have a a bigger statiscal impact.

How many have been vaccinated now in the UK with 2 jabs? I think the thing here is it will probably save those from hospitalization and severe illness or death..at least the latter..that is the main thing, you can still get Covid though

Heatmap shows most cases are around the 20-40 year olds yet hospitalisations, ventilations and deaths are all rising.

Increasing cases will surely result in an increase in those metrics. 2,000 in hospital now in England, 400 admitted on Friday.

Doubling time is 12 days, in less than 2 weeks we'll be at 800 admissions per day. If things stay the same (they won't) at 400 admissions per day there'll be around 5,000 people admitted to hospital in that time.

It's not like we're smashing through vaccines at the moment either.

Heatmap shows most cases are around the 20-40 year olds yet hospitalisations, ventilations and deaths are all rising.

Increasing cases will surely result in an increase in those metrics. 2,000 in hospital now in England, 400 admitted on Friday.

Doubling time is 12 days, in less than 2 weeks we'll be at 800 admissions per day. If things stay the same (they won't) at 400 admissions per day there'll be around 5,000 people admitted to hospital in that time.

It's not like we're smashing through vaccines at the moment either.
ok, here in sweden its decreasing by the day(hospitalisations)

64.7% has had one jab and its between 80-90% that are positive in taking the vaccine which is good

I'm broadly happy with yesterdays announcements but am concerned about variants. Yes I know there are always mutations and most of them are not a problem, however it seems to me the variants that have caused issues have mainly come from areas where the virus has been rife and out of control e.g. Kent (southern bastards) India, Brazil, South Africa. Now I know fuck all and it may be if we just let the virus run its course here, we won't get anymore mutations or if we do, they won't be a problem and by Christmas we'll all have herd immunity.......doesn't stop me being nervous about it though.
Have those variants come from the respective countries or is it where the variant was first identified?

Mask recommendation (for those fully vaccinated) was dropped here a couple of months ago. At first 99% of people kept their mask on, it is what they were used to and what they felt comfortable with. Every week I see fewer people wearing one, to the point where I don't recall anyone wearing one yesterday (there is a guy outside right now with one on). Life is back to "normal" for most of us - and each of us has readjusted at our own pace.
On public transport (very few people use this) masks are still required. When I deliver to a local retirement community masks are required (but not for residents). We accept this - carry one around just in case and don't kick up a fuss when we have to put one on.
I did have a sign in my store stating that anyone not vaccinated has to wear a mask, but took it down yesterday - It doesn't make me any safer and anyone not vaccinated now, probably never will be.
My wife did decide a week ago that she wants to start wearing a mask again in busy locations - because of the delta variant. But she is very much an outlier. If you ask them what the delta variant is, the overwhelming majority here would have absolutely no idea.

I've just been down the local driving range. Not one person was wearing a mask, either in the club shop or in and around the range.

Back