• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Coronavirus

Heard the radio raving on about horse racing coming back earlier today.
Yeah, take away the disgusting betting shit and lets see how many people really love this sport..infact try reporting on any horse race without mentioning odds.

Yeah, as much as I hate these cunts I don't think there's really a thing here. Social distancing at horse racing would be pretty easy you would think and you could actually even let in limited supporters, it probably wouldn't make much difference to regular attendances midweek.

I knew there was a virus around and I still went to the Brighton game because no-one told me not to, I wanted to watch my team that I love and my mates that I love more. Does that make me a bad person?

Yeah dont think any great consiperacy here, Horse Racing was first mainstream sport to go back in Germany, France and will be first here next week, just easy to set up and get back running.

Madness that Cheltenham went ahead, it was a significant factor to the spead of the virus over here as well, our Government at the time made the mistake of only advising people not to go to it, but still significant numbers went.

250,000 people at Cheltenham, 388,000 attenteded Premier League games that week, 10,000 scots landed in Cardiff only to find the 6N game called off at the last minute, madness looking back at it all those people travelling and mingling.

Most stupid descision however was allowing the Liverpool/ Madrid game to go ahead and 5,000 or so people come from a city going into lockdown and being allowed to travel over.

Just comparing against the map in this article...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51768274

Think the difference is perhaps not as stark as I first though, could just be the scale the BBC article uses is much tighter so the difference between regions seems much more apparent.

Still can't really compute in my mind how the absolute numbers look so bad but then you see it as a percentage of population and it seems so insignificant. Wish there was more local data akin to the first set of ONS data that came out.

60ish thousand dead so far, based on infection of around 8 or 9%. Fatality rate of 1% and around 0.1% of UK population dead already. That’s pretty bad. And very bad compared to most other countries.

What is clear is that the government will resist re-entering lockdown at almost any cost. The localised approach makes sense but all of it depends on quality test and trace and it sounds like ours is shite.

Country wide lockdowns don’t make much sense anymore. We need local lockdowns and to ensure people do not travel long distances.

How will a local lock down work unless there are check points at motorway junctions?

The trouble with local lockdown was shown up when the Italian Government tried it with northern Italy, all the fuckwits who had alternative places to stay outside the affected area just hopped in their cars and drove to them.

And where do you draw the line for the local areas people are restricted to?

60ish thousand dead so far, based on infection of around 8 or 9%. Fatality rate of 1% and around 0.1% of UK population dead already. That’s pretty bad. And very bad compared to most other countries.

Apparently more died in UK on Friday then
Spain
Portugal
Italy
France
Turkey
Belgium
Ireland
Netherlands
Turkey
Poland
Hungary
Romania

Combined

324 v 317

So from tomorrow all those shielding are free.
Now this is great news, especially for my Dad who lives in a top floor apartment with no garden so has been stuck in doors for 12 weeks but I am a tad concerned it may be too early.
I really want to trust what is being done but with people advising the Government saying they have moved to quickly, bit nervous for my Dad. He won't care, he will be masked up and flying around Ilfracombe on his scooter tomorrow morning.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Neighbours from the various blocks of flats near me all gathered together in the park yesterday for an hour of lugging buckets of water from a communal tap next to a school and the various young trees that were planted last year and which are now drying up. Was thinking of helping out, but it was a crowd of 30-40 people all standing close and talking while waiting for their turn at the tap, no gloves or masks on anyone, no social distancing at all - I saw how people were acting and just went back inside. And then an hour later a group photo gets posted in the communal park volunteer whatsapp group of everyone smiling in a big group, and there were even two cops who must have showed up, standing right in the middle of the crowd and smiling as well.

I've always understood the quote, attributed to Stalin, that "one death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic" - but watching how many people around me seem to have completely accepted hundreds of people dying a day as worth the risk of, say, watering some trees... I'm only now really getting a gut sense of the meaning. We're still not back below where we were before we went into lockdown, yet the gusto with which so many people are throwing caution to the wind is stunning.

Brilliant news, given that the releasing of the protected is an action from level one of the Nando's scale, possible when a vaccine was ready. Fantastic that things have progressed so well.
I'm sure it's not a case of the government moving the goalposts (again...).

If we had half the deaths but the virus caused your head to explode we wouldn't be having any of these discussions. Humans are fascinating creatures.

If bullshit and arse covering could control the virus we'd have 0 deaths. Maybe we can shout 'Get Brexit Done' at it and see what happens.

I don't doubt the principle, it's just the detail of the implication that would trouble me.

Presumably these travel restrictions don't apply to anything deemed essential or necessary for work? So say they used County boundaries I could still take myself to the closest hospital over in Notts rather than travel further to stay in Derbs? Likewise with work, I'm going to be in three different counties the next three days, passing through at least two others en route.

Not defending anyone as that number of people should not have been there but that group was created by the police. They arrived and moved everyone to that area to allow the helicopter to land.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Back