• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Cost of Living

Not sure how long you've been away, UKY, but Tony is right - this country has become a complete shithole during the past couple of decades. Can't blame you for wanting to get out of the US, but if the world's your oyster there has to be somewhere better you could pick than here.
We've been away for 11 years. But I tend to come at least every 2 years.

From the few people I know who've emigrated there then I'd explore moving to to New Zealand if I were in my 20s
Niche, but the water quality is appalling there, makes the Thames look like a mountain spring. Nice place though, feels very old fashioned but not in a bad way.

New a family that emigrated there and came back within a year, one of the reasons was boredom, my ears pricked up at that point :)

Canada, Portugal, Spain, Ireland, Finland, France, Holland, Switzerland, Greece, Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Iceland, Australia and New Zealand all appeal for varying reasons varying from climate to politics.

Canada, Portugal, Spain, Ireland, Finland, France, Holland, Switzerland, Greece, Denmark, Iceland and New Zealand all appeal for varying reasons varying from climate to politics.
Generally I think people find it very difficult to settle long term in places where you can’t speak the language.

Canada I’d jump at if it was so stupidly cold.

On a personal level, having a mixed race family, I’d rule out pretty much all of Europe.

Generally I think people find it very difficult to settle long term in places where you can’t speak the language.

Canada I’d jump at if it was so stupidly cold.

On a personal level, having a mixed race family, I’d rule out pretty much all of Europe.
Do you ever regret not moving abroad when the chance arose

From the few people I know who've emigrated there then I'd explore moving to to New Zealand if I were in my 20s
That was my first thought too, though it's clearly going to be a very subjective call according to personal circumstances and preferences. I'd consider Japan too, if I were younger, though not everyone's cup of sake, obviously. Got some rellys who went to Canada about 10 yrs ago for their kids' benefit and are very happy there.

You’d need to sell a kidney to be able to afford to move to a Scandinavian country.

I love Hamburg but I wouldn't lie and say it was dead easy to live there or that I'd go back without thinking long and hard about it. And obviously language wasn't a factor for me.

Canada, Portugal, Spain, Ireland, Finland, France, Holland, Switzerland, Greece, Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Iceland, Australia and New Zealand all appeal for varying reasons varying from climate to politics.
We've discussed Canada, Greece, Portugal and Malta as potential destinations. I like the idea of Canada, apart from the unbearable cold for 5-6 months of the year.

I lived in Vancouver for a year and it wasn't cold. Seasonal weather, similar to the UK, lot of rain in winter and some decent sun in summer.
It's an amazing city, was voted Most Liveable City in the World while I was there.

I think it depends on your situation. If you have a secure and adequate income, an affordable housing situation and relatively good health, the UK is fine. Plenty of things to be cross about but you can live your life in relative comfort. If you are challenged in any of those areas, then it's an unforgiving, hard place to be now. 14 years of the systematic and deliberate shredding of the post-war social settlement, backed up by a mass media with a clear agenda, has made life precarious for many.

We found Greece very hard to settle in. Very bureaucratic and complicated to navigate without good native contacts and a knowledge of the language.

I think it depends on your situation. If you have a secure and adequate income, an affordable housing situation and relatively good health, the UK is fine. Plenty of things to be cross about but you can live your life in relative comfort. If you are challenged in any of those areas, then it's an unforgiving, hard place to be now. 14 years of the systematic and deliberate shredding of the post-war social settlement, backed up by a mass media with a clear agenda, has made life precarious for many.

Couldn’t agree more.

Back