• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Coventry City

FrankMunro-371

Reaction score
https://coventryobserver.co.uk/news...-to-keep-coventry-city-in-city-involving-mps/

With the Sky Blues facing relegation to the fourth tier of English football, it appears that the club could again be fighting for their very existence. Their current deal to play home games at the Ricoh expires at the end of next season, and there is uncertainty over where they will go after that. With legal action and counter legal actions being taken by different parties, the future appears very bleak for Coventry.

It's a real shame, what's happening there. How different from the 70s, when they were, iirc, one of the longest ever-presents in D1, always seeming to hang on by the skin of their teeth. Cup-winners too, in the 80s, weren't they?

It's a real shame, what's happening there. How different from the 70s, when they were, iirc, one of the longest ever-presents in D1, always seeming to hang on by the skin of their teeth. Cup-winners too, in the 80s, weren't they?

They got promoted in 1967 and spent 34 consecutive seasons in the top tier. How on earth have they got themselves into such a situation that their existence is in doubt.

Don't get yourself in such hock that:

a) You build a new ground and have to gift away ownership of it before you've even moved in
b) You have to accept any takeover bid, including that from a moody hedge fund who've already had numerous bids for other clubs turned down

Simple as that really.

I've never understood what SISU's endgame is. Took over and settled the bills, fine. But if they were going balls out for promotion then they didn't really even try to put a proper manager in place or to throw money at the club. Never made an effort to sort out the ground issue. And in investment terms they should have cut and run long ago but don't seem interested in a sale at all unless it's explicitly on their terms which will never happen. Strange people.

They hung around in the top flight for a while but their catchment area and corresponding size has never been that big. Tons of Warwickshire is Villa territory and always will be. Any further north and you're into our realm, Cov fans don't live up here. Go east and you're hitting Leicester.

I understand that SISU will only sell the club for £100 million, which is the amount they claim to have spent since taking over the Sky Blues. I find that figure somewhat hard to believe, and who would pay that kind of money for a league two club.

Couldn't happen to nicer set of fans. I really hope they go down again next season.

Glad it wasn't just me thinking that. Will never forget the 'We'm a big club' shite I got when they bought Robbie Keane.

Coventry finally won a game last night, though it was probably too little too late. The biggest shame is there were only 7,600 people in the Ricoh.

Coventry finally won a game last night, though it was probably too little too late. The biggest shame is there were only 7,600 people in the Ricoh.

All going to Wembley though ain't they...half arsed protesting that

Coventry City have so far sold just over 2,000 season tickets, whereas newly promoted Lincoln City have sold 3,900 season tickets.

How the mighty have fallen.!

Glory hunters v the terminally pissed off

As fair comparisons go, that is a steaming pile of horse shit

Nearly 5,000 Sky Blue fans followed their team at Notts. County this evening as they secured a place in the play off final. I know they are a long way removed from former glories, but could Mark Robins be the man who finally turns around their long overdue fortunes.

Nearly 5,000 Sky Blue fans followed their team at Notts. County this evening as they secured a place in the play off final. I know they are a long way removed from former glories, but could Mark Robins be the man who finally turns around their long overdue fortunes.
Depends on the owners.

Back