• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

defending pacey forwards

SOUTHBANK_BULLY

Reaction score
is it just me who thinks that any time wolves come across opposition strikers with pace our back four seem to struggle , the biggest culprit being danny batth , donaldson had batth in his pocket all day long against blues

i feel we have a lack of pace at the back at times

No. Met plenty of pacey forwards and wingers and dealt with them fine. Batth will always face the potential of losing a battle though as that is not his strength. He has however dealt with pace in the past.

Any team up against pace will struggle at times regardless of the pace in the back 4.

Is Clayton Donaldson a pacey forward? Never had him down as being quick, very quick.

Donaldson didn't beat Batth for pace on Sat, he beat him (and Stearman) in the air. He bullied us singlehandedly, Stearman didn't win one header in the first half.

Pretty much everyone would have our best back four down as Iorfa-Batth-Stearman-Golbourne, three of those are quick players so I don't see it as a major issue. Batth will struggle with it on occasion - same as any centre half of that profile, Terry and Carragher got burned on occasion if the team wasn't set up properly to compensate for their lack of pace (in Terry's case, think AVB playing a silly high line, for Carragher see any time Houllier or Benitez were stupid enough to put him directly up against Thierry Henry) but it didn't make them inadequate defenders - it's less of an issue when Iorfa is outside him though as he can (and does) cover.

In the longer term I would like to have a look at Hause at centre half, probably in place of Batth, but you wouldn't be messing around with that now at this stage.

are we back to talking about Stearman like he's the slowest center half that ever played?

everytime we talk about Stears and running i just get that picture in my head when he flew on the ball by the sideline, hillarious :)

everytime we talk about Stears and running i just get that picture in my head when he flew on the ball by the sideline, hillarious :)

Truly, only such a class defender could properly defend against himself.

As for the pace argument, speed is always important but timing will catch out even the quickest defenders.

Donaldson didn't beat Batth for pace on Sat, he beat him (and Stearman) in the air. He bullied us singlehandedly, Stearman didn't win one header in the first half.

Which I would say is quite out of the ordinary for us, usually long ball plays into our hands, particularly Batth.

Back