• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

End of Season Do

Top goalscorer Henry with 7 goals!!!! Good god.

Sent from my SM-G901F using Tapatalk

I log on every morning in the hope of good news. New owner, new manger, same manager but with a plan and a brain, new signing, Joe Root in central midfield... Pretty much anything will satisfy me. But now you bastards tell me our top goalscorer (who'll be in the team next season) only has 7 goals and our goalie (who'll be in the team next season) chucked it in his own net 16 times. Another bloody day phoning the Samaritans...

I was following the event on Twitter and I did find it very amusing. There really isn't much to celebrate this season (except that it's over), Matt Doherty wins not one, not two but a clean sweep of all 3 of the main awards, the best goal vote included a strike from Afobe, who was our top goalscorer for the season but didn't get an award as he left in acrimonious circumstances so it went to the 2nd highest goalscorer :icon_lol:

Utterly awesome - if only they had revealed the shirt with no logo on, not dissimilar to that Burrda fiasco a few years back.

On the Shirt........the Home kit reveal is being done by a fan on Twitter. There is some Pass the Parcel competition going on and the winner is the one who will do the Reveal!!

Away kit will be revealed later on (once they have improved the images on Hause's phone no doubt)

the best goal vote included a strike from Afobe, who was our top goalscorer for the season but didn't get an award as he left in acrimonious circumstances so it went to the 2nd highest goalscorer.
Makes me wonder if they offered the goalscorer award to Afobe and he told them to do one.

Did any of the released players attend last night?

Is it just Wolves fans that consistently vote for the wrong player (IMO obviously) or does it happen at other clubs too?

Camara, Stearman, Doherty... Sure there have been other strange ones...

There's a pattern of getting them wrong, this is just the latest in a series of it happening. Since the award was brought back as a public vote in 1999/2000 (not that the Supporters Clubs were any better at doing it...Rankine in 1994/95 is the worst one ever):

2000: Pollet - yep, fair enough
2001: Naylor - probably right, like this season whoever won was best of a poor bunch
2002: Rae - spot on
2003: Lescott - ditto
2004: Camara - not a fucking hope, Rae should have walked it. Another one who turned up in March and took the honours
2005: Lescott - had a decent season but probably won it more because of who he was, he'd been out for a year and we all wanted him to stay even though we were stuck in the Champ for another year. Miller got 20 in all competitions in a wank team so probably should have won it
2006: Miller - deserved it on effort alone, another cack season
2007: Murray - nailed on, we'd have been a dozen points worse off with an average keeper
2008: Hennessey - good breakthrough year but Kightly was outstanding that season, should have won it
2009: Foley - loved him back then but how could SEB not win it after scoring 25 goals?
2010: Craddock - no chance, Doyle should have walked this
2011: Jarvis - probably about right
2012: Hennessey - on a hiding to nothing that year but Fletcher really should have won it
2013: Sako - yep, one of very few to come out with any credit
2014: McDonald - probably fair enough, could have gone to any of 4-5 (think I voted for Ricketts)
2015: Stearman - shouldn't have been anywhere near, average/poor and dropped for EEL in the first half of the season. Sako and Dicko were miles better
2016: Doherty - he's got himself to a level of looking like a bog standard left back for this level, some good games, some iffy stuff, which is a big improvement on his previous League of Ireland dross but this isn't 'most improved player' or 'player of the last two months' is it

Summary: Our fans haven't got a clue.

Or our players as they voted for Doc as well

Would Doherty have won PoTS without scoring THAT goal?

Or our players as they voted for Doc as well

They also voted Ikeme as #2 so there's probably an element of best #dressingroombantz going on too. That or they hate Martinez and wanted to rub his nose in the fact Carl 'Calamity' Ikeme was #1 choice.

Chaps. Maybe, just maybe your opinion isn't the view of the majority?

Doesn't mean it's wrong, far from it.

Id argue Foley getting POTS shows some thought and appreciation of a lesser heralded player?

As for Stears, he was dropped by a manager who lost the plot at times this season, as so many have said.

So him being dropped for EEL isn't really a reflection of the player.

Thought he deserved it myself.

The E&S comments are giving me retinal disease. General theme of KJ tried to push Doherty out and I'm so glad KJ is waking up with egg on his face today... lolwhut?

Call me old fashioned but I don't think Doherty would have won it had we set up with a proper balanced midfield. Unsung hero probably being George Saville in that respect. Another snub to the man Afobe. Any offers over a million for Doherty and It would be a big yes.

The E&S comments are giving me retinal disease. General theme of KJ tried to push Doherty out and I'm so glad KJ is waking up with egg on his face today... lolwhut?

KJ has given Doherty SO MANY chances! Wtf do some people see?

Back