• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Ever changing face of Wolves

I think it shows how much losing Summer Row hurt Wolves as a city but we can't keep dwelling on something pretty shit happening. I know it goes against the very spirit of capitalism but if these companies settled for a reasonable market share instead of over extending themselves they'd be better off for it and all we're really seeing with the HOF closures is them reverting to more sustainable levels.

At 18 I worked at Poundland just as it started really taking off, living in Derby now we have three(!) branches. I think we're edging towards warehousing like in American supermarkets if you go to Sainsburys you can already find Argos, Patisserie Valerie, Lloyds Pharmacy etc etc.

In terms of population and size Derby and Wolverhampton are pretty much neck and neck so a good comparison point.

I can't stand the Intu centre unless I go first thing or on a Thursday after 6 but I guess that's down to taste. Like you say it's vastly better than the Victoria/Broadmarsh in Nottingham though.

I find Iron/Saddlergate nice and that's where Derby does better than Wolves as a city centre IMO, but the High Street after PureGym to Wardwick is pretty ghastly especially with all the works they've being doing. The level of homelessness/Mamba smokers in town is a disgrace. I don't know what Wolves is like for that tbh these days.
I've still not really ventured into Derby since we moved up that way last year, don't even use Intu much as it doesn't open late in the week so end up having to go to Meadowhall instead. Had a bit of a stroll through the Cathedral area one evening headed for a work night out and that seemed pleasant enough with bars and restaurants looking busy.

I’m no fan of shopping either - bought plenty of stuff from Beatties over the decades, had many cups of coffee and bites to eat in the cafe upstairs and cafe nero. Used to use it as a drop in centre when I was a kid too.

Complete change of how we live shopping online, watching tv/films online, banking online and the one that does my head in more than any other is Social Media. It seems everyone and their dead dogs nan would rather talk over a computer or mobile phone screen by means of written communication. I fleetingly use this Forum together with reading stuff online but I’d much rather speak to a person preferably in their company than type everything.

As my daughter pointed out the other day, with everything being written we've actually reverted to a more old-fashioned way of communicating with people, a pre-telephone era. SnapChat is essentially the modern telegram.

Decided to have a walk round Beatties this morning. The men’s department must be the hottest place on Earth today. How anyone can work in there let alone shop is beyond me.

Not even the E&S have the brass neck to call that shithole a landmark

High class comment underneath from M Staffs - "This pub is horrible. Every time I drive past it is full of blacks. Hence why the gun and the drugs was found. What is it with black people and guns. Its like they are nothing without them."

High class comment underneath from M Staffs - "This pub is horrible. Every time I drive past it is full of blacks. Hence why the gun and the drugs was found. What is it with black people and guns. Its like they are nothing without them."
High class comment that the E&S have allowed to remain there, without responding to it or challenging it.
Madness how they strictly moderate comments for criticism of the e&s, but allow such blatant racism to stand publicly.
tells you a lot about the internal culture of the e&s.

I just replied to the E&S Tweet about the article with a screengrab of the comment and, thankfully, they've now deleted it. Was up for at least an hour though.

closer to 2 hours I'd guess.
would it have been taken down had you not complained? Not for hours I'd guess.
The fact it was allowed to remain for so long, when other stuff is removed almost instantaneously tells you a lot about the editorial and ethical standards the paper now has.

closer to 2 hours I'd guess.
would it have been taken down had you not complained? Not for hours I'd guess.
The fact it was allowed to remain for so long, when other stuff is removed almost instantaneously tells you a lot about the editorial and ethical standards the paper now has.

To be fair, they said they removed it as soon as it was flagged. I guess the moderating filters they use don't automatically flag the word "black". If the poster had dropped the N-bomb it might not have gone through.
Interestingly they've disabled comments etirely for that story now.

The entrance to the new Market in Wolverhampton

TYWWUPWXGRFHHBRJTNKPPGUZ3I.jpg

No doubt a huge amount paid for someone to come up with the idea of popping some storage containers together. Think they are going for a Camden Market vibe

That logo is awful. Reads like it's "City of Market". You had one job, etc.

The entrance to the new Market in Wolverhampton

TYWWUPWXGRFHHBRJTNKPPGUZ3I.jpg

No doubt a huge amount paid for someone to come up with the idea of popping some storage containers together. Think they are going for a Camden Market vibe

That looks shit.

Not sure the idea works in a landlocked city that doesn't have a dock!

It actually looks an awful lot better in reality than in photos. I actually quite like it...

The E and S seems to have decided it's rubbish,interviewed a few people all hated it,one said " it would look ok in London,but this is Wolverhampton" fair play to the council for trying to do something different in regeneration

It's a market at the end of the day, you could make it look fantastic on the outside but it's still just going to be full of tat anyway so what's the point? At least stacking a few old containers up should be a fairly cheap solution.

Back