• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Football Manager

So tonight I've opted to try different conversational options since I tend to stick with a few that work... WOW the ones I haven't been using, I haven't been using for a reason! :icon_lol:

My entire team's moral was poor and they turned to abysmal after the team talk, I've pissed off my keeper-of-the-future complaining about not getting start time, and he immediately put in a transfer request (which I rejected)... Geez.

Craddock is turning into quite the defensive/tactical coach...

Man, I don't know how you guys do it. My team has been pathetic for 14 months now. Doyle and Fletch have maybe 4 goals each in the entire campaign, even with high morale and confidence. On the other side, I can't stop conceding goals. Two coaches agreed I'm using the right formations. Both of my wingers are playing well stats wise, but all they ever do is run down the wing, force a corner, and the team never, ever, ever scores off headers. I even set instructions to exploit the middle, but they will still run from midfield directly to the sideline and waste another possession. All the starters look to be getting along. And I just lost the second cup semi-final in a row, ARGH.

Maybe I've messed with the tactics too much and have too many younger up and comers on the rosoter... I didn't have this problem the first few months of playing when I had the actual Wolves; now I've got a few younger players with high potential but slightly lower actual ratings and custom set pieces, set touchline instructions, etc.

On the flip side, my under-18s squad has won every single game and is miles ahead of the 2nd place team in points. GD is something ridiculous like +40. My team will be great around 2018...

I remember in CM 01/02 I signed Alex Nyarko and he got an 8 month ban for punching the ref.

Haha!

I took the plunge and brought in heskey and he cannot stop scoring for some reason as wolves in my 1st season. I'm 3rd I knew heskey would come good some day.

Just been offered the Real Madrid job, but I can't be arsed to take it. My average squad age is only 23 I have all the best regens and the only players I want their clubs will not accept any offer for them. I offered 45 million for Wilshere only to be told to do one. Football manager gets to a point where by buying all the best regens you effectively have the best team forever. Randomly though even though I have some incredible strikers Leigh Griffin who is only rated at two stars is still the best player in my team. Last year he scored 40 prem goals and won European and Prem player of the year, an utter beast I even sold Cavani cause I couldn't fit him in the team.

I've noticed that with my reserve squad. I've put Doyle, Fletch, and some older guy I don't remember the name of in Reserves to gain confidence/morale, but Griffiths is always the man to save the day... I wanted to sign him as his contract is up, but he was demanding something ridiculous like 35k a season.

Mario update:

aPRcH.png

:icon_lol:

Beware of fining players, obviously...

Don't Fu*k with Ballotelli

I've noticed that with my reserve squad. I've put Doyle, Fletch, and some older guy I don't remember the name of in Reserves to gain confidence/morale, but Griffiths is always the man to save the day... I wanted to sign him as his contract is up, but he was demanding something ridiculous like 35k a season.

Doyle in the grand scheme of the game is not a particular good striker, I would try and sell him while he is young enough to get a decent fee for him. In my game Fletcher now plays for Arsenal and chips in with 15 to 20 goals a year, but as I said Griffths is an utter beast and well worth 35k a year hes out scoring Cavani, Lucas Moura and Fierro.

Yeah I think I may. I had just signed SEB to a lucrative deal as my backup but will sell him in the summer to make up for Griffiths.

My wage bill is out of control right now between Hunt, my young Goalkeeper activating a contract clause (3k/w to 28k/w), Jack Robinson (45k/w), a young defender which I overpaid, and 3 veterans I signed to see the effects of tutoring on younger players. One is a 34 y/o CM on for 80k/w. Almost activated a clause in his contract which would auto-extend him for another year, but thankfully re-signed him for the same amount and no extension. The 3 veterans are gone in the summer and Hunt wants to move on to a bigger club, thankfully. Those 4 players alone take about as much in wages as every single other player I employ.

I've won the Champions League with nobody on more than 70k! I've got 170m in the bank with a 150m transfer budget, but I don't like spending money.

My team has been leaking goals left and right while also never scoring, so I bought a decent RB on a multi-year deal, and a veteran ST, GK, LB, and CM on 6-month deals. Most of my team are prospects and/or unsettled foreigners, so I wanted some stability for the 2nd half of the season both on the pitch and to tutor the youngsters. I'll happily pay a high wage bill through a small window if it means avoiding relegation. Until then the board had been very happy with my financial decisions.

Isn't the wage bill a bit like spend-it-or-lose-it money anyways? Or does it roll over?

It's just a limit on what the board will allow you to spend, although you can go over it. For example, you have 10k a week of your budget left, you can sign somebody on 30k, taking you 20k over but if you were to then try and sign somebody else the board would severely limit what you could potentially offer the player.

It doesn't roll over, I just like to keep the books very well balanced. I've not been in the red once and I'm into my seventh season.

Who were the experienced players that you signed?

Yep that's what I thought-- "free money", so to say. I wasn't in the red until clauses started activating-- I was just hovering above before hand, even with the vets. I'm not used to paying attention to that stuff, so it snuck up on me. The LB I signed was Upson, don't remember the other 3. I'll post my team later tonight.

Side note, I just finished reading this entire thread... Funny to see a lot of us have the same players-- Lucas Anderson, Fierro, Jack Robinson... Jack's been useless for me and the fans are super super pissed I paid $13m and $40k/w, but I'm sticking it out until he develops. He's already gone up a star to a *3.5 total in the season. I have a $10m pre-contract signed for some 16 y/o kid in 2014 (currently march 2013), but he's rated very highly and is already a 2.5. Scoring bags. Can't wait to get him.

Last edited:
Here's the current squad...

WolvesSquad1.png

Just adjusted my budget so salary isn't in the red, which allowed me to extend Griffiths past this June. Will offload SEB during the summer to balance it out.

How do I stop steam from preventing me to open football manager when my laptop isn't connected to the internet?

:argh:

Switch Steam to offline mode.

In a Kafka-esque twist though you need to be online to do this in the first place.

I haven't dabbled with FM for a few months. The good lady is away this weekend, so I might fire it up and see what happens...

How do I stop steam from preventing me to open football manager when my laptop isn't connected to the internet?

:argh:

There is a way without being online, just click STEAM, leave it, and after a while, it'll come up a message about switching to offline mode, do that and you're away, I regularly do it so I know it works, hope it works for you!

There is a way without being online, just click STEAM, leave it, and after a while, it'll come up a message about switching to offline mode, do that and you're away, I regularly do it so I know it works, hope it works for you!

There's a setting on there somewhere where you can manually switch to offline mode too.

Back