• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Fulham 1-1 Wolves: Boxing Day Verdict Thread

Tbh I think most of us would have been happy with top 10 if you'd asked at the start of the season, and we're on track for that. And that's not a bad thing!

When you look at the teams around us we're jostling with established teams, some of whom have spent a colossal amount of money *cough*Everton*cough*

Sure we've splashed our fair share but nothing so egregious as some around us. We've got 3 of our current starting XI for less than £5m (4, if you count MGW as a starter)

The fact we're comfortable halfway through the season is very, very welcome. This season's about planting our flag in the ground, if you will. Then we start building.

All that said, bit worried about Spurs! They should know what to expect now though so hopefully it's more 2nd half vs Spurs at Mol than 1st half.

-edit- whoops, forgot the game. Same as most who have eyes I would guess, can only hope Cav didn't start because Nuno thought he couldn't handle 3 games in a week or somesuch. Traore shouldn't start until he can learn the basics of movement and interplay.

Moutinho was absolutley mint 2nd half, what a player. A couple more like him from Jorge's black book and we'll be laughing.

We play fine football, only thing I think we are missing is some more creative passes and movement in the final third. MGW has done that when playing almost like a 10. He can turn quickly with control and usually tries to play creative passes when there is an opportunity. Traore is best as an impact sub, for now at least.

We are playing it around far to slowly sideways too often, just look how many players we did attack with after they scored and suddenly we created and could have even won the game.

Against the bottom half:

P10 W6 D1 L3

Against the rest of the top half:

P9 W1 D4 L4

Yeah, huge issue.
I love posts like this. Dismantling 'arguments' with cold, hard facts.

Christ, people talk some shit on here sometimes.

Didn't lose convincingly to Cardiff - disagree completely. We were bested at set pieces but they only won by one goal and it was quite a good one.

If you actually watched games without looking for cliches and superstitious nonsense or posted without trying to fit a narrative I might give this more credit but this is just another one of your superstitions - we're not good against bottom teams because... what? Because they are at the bottom? We beat West Ham when they were at the bottom, same with Burnley. If you could at least explain why it happens rather than citing the fact that they are bottom that would be very helpful. Because it seems to me that the bottom sides prefer to sit back and not commit men which we aren't as good at playing against compared with the style the bigger teams play, which is why don't score loads past them which you appear to expect.

Gary Neville said it and I disagreed, you say it and I'll disagree more. I doubt he's seen all of our games so is making an impression based on a few select performances, you most likely have and are rubbishing our performances!

Lost narrowly to Cardiff, bested at set pieces and got our tactics wrong by trying to match them at their own game. Watford - figured us out tactically and were the first team to do so this season, fair play to them and Javi Gracia. Not a 'shit team' at all and currently 1 point off 7th with a game in hand. Huddersfield - awful and inexcusable, everything went wrong - most seasons you get a game like this and it was then. Against Fulham we held them when they were on top and looked very comfortable second half, conceded at a set piece but then equalised.

I was at Palace - we were completely and utterly the better side. Restricted Palace to what, one or two half chances all game? It was very very comfortable and a top performance. West Ham was an even game, we played well at times and if you had to choose a winner I'd say we deserved it. Not actually one of the 'shit teams' though are they, I'd argue grinding out a win against them was impressive. Conveniently forgetting Southampton who we beat 2-0 also and are in the bottom 5.

Take a look at the bottom 7 - we have beat 4 of them.

We're not a team that scores a lot of goals, if you are expecting us to thrash teams as a sign we are good it's not going to happen. For better reference look at how good we are seeing out games when we take the lead.

Woods in true Dan style you ignore completely that we have failed to beat three out of the bottom 4. This has nothing to do with any superstitious nonsense or Mumbo jumbo I wish it did. You choose to slag me off as I say and have said that if we are going to fuck it up at the top level it's against shit teams.
No , I am not impressed today. Mitrivic looked a world beater in the first half and we looked anything other than a threat against the most leaky defence in any of the five top European leagues. Fair enough you can disagree but I will always always moan when my team sitting in the top half can't beat shit like Cardiff Huddersfield and Fulham given their performances this season and given our performances against the top sides. The disparity is completely frustrating.

Cardiff and Hudds beat us. Please Mr PL, relegate us as we don't belong here.

Crazy Town trip is BACK ON

Cardiff and Hudds beat us. Please Mr PL, relegate us as we don't belong here.

Crazy Town trip is BACK ON

We will go to Wembley and get at least a point. Then the trip to crazy town is on

Perhaps we don't do well against the bottom teams because the players aren't up for it,and they think it's only Huddersfield we'll thrash them,they're shit,or maybe our foreigners can't do it on a December Friday night in Cardiff, makes as much sense as superstitions pulled down from the astrological charts saying we don't win when the earth passes through Capricorn or there's an eclipse

Who are the bookies favourites for relegation? They don't get much wrong

Clue we lost to both of them.

Who has conceded more goals than any team in any of the top 5 leagues in Europe?
Clue we sneaked a point against them today

Please don't ever expect me to be happy when we underperform

You understand the difference between 'having a bad game' and 'we have a problem against these teams for no specified reason' though, yeah?

Maybe City have a problem against mid table teams all of a sudden given that they've lost to Palace and Leicester in the last few days.

you can bet your arse there are questions being asked about how they have lost three in four yes. City fans are right pissed off. They too seem to drop their guard. Palace us and foxes. One point from those three is not good enough for them. Rightly they will ask questions. We should also do the same. One point from Cardiff Huddersfield and Fulham is disappointing.When we are that far off the pace as we were in the first half we do need our arse kicking

So out of interest, of these 10 games against teams below us, how many do you think we should be winning? 8? 9?

This is what I mean about entitlement.

I was gutted when their goal went in because I thought we'd get nothing out of the game when we should already have had a penalty and they should have been down to ten men, I was more pissed off at the state of refereeing that seems to go against us than our actual performance. Mitrovic gave Coady food for thought again but beyond that I think we were by far the better side, and as for the amount of shots we had it's hard to open up a team who are sitting back as much as Fulham did, especially in the second half.

We're tenth and look right at home in this league which is more than enough for me. Instead of looking at why we only got a point out of Cardiff, Huddersfield and Fulham I'd rather enjoy the fact we got six points out of Man Utd, Arsenal, City and Chelsea.

In fairness to City there are only 3 teams above them so they can pretty much only lose to trams below them....

And City have spent 100s of millions on players in order to challenge for the prem title/champions league where as we've spent enough to be mid tabke, exactly where we are right now.

It would be bloody boring if results went as expected - to expect a newly promoted side to beat those below them is also pretty arrogant.

I was gutted when their goal went in because I thought we'd get nothing out of the game when we should already have had a penalty and they should have been down to ten men, I was more pissed off at the state of refereeing that seems to go against us than our actual performance. Mitrovic gave Coady food for thought again but beyond that I think we were by far the better side, and as for the amount of shots we had it's hard to open up a team who are sitting back as much as Fulham did, especially in the second half.

We're tenth and look right at home in this league which is more than enough for me. Instead of looking at why we only got a point out of Cardiff, Huddersfield and Fulham I'd rather enjoy the fact we got six points out of Man Utd, Arsenal, City and Chelsea.

I agree.
I'm not sure Fulham strung more than 3 passes together that 2nd half and for us to go anywhere this season and cause that to happen, makes me proud of this seasons achievements so far.

Spot on. I'm enjoying every game (bar Huddersfield that was shite).

Yep, so much better than the last time we were in the premier. Didn't really enjoy any of that, even the good wins we had - always expected us to lose.

Now i expect us to win, even if we don't we can enjoy the way we play football.

So out of interest, of these 10 games against teams below us, how many do you think we should be winning? 8? 9?

This is what I mean about entitlement.

Having beaten Bournemouth palace Southampton West Ham showing our capabilities I reserve the right to cop the hump when we lose to two teams below and sneak a point off the third. Is Fulham.

This is not Wolves 2010 when points from any team were almost a bonus. We are rightly seen as a decent side along with the Bournemoth Watford Leciester Everton Brighton mid table bunch and thats about right.

Everton beat Fulham and Cardiff drew with Huddersfield
Bournemouth beat Fulham beat Cardiff beat Huddersfield
Watford beat Huddersfield, Cardiff drew with Fulham
Leicester beat Cardiff beat Huddersfield drew with Fulham
Brighton lost to Cardiff drew with Fulham beat Huddersfield.

So of the five teams around us their collective record against Cardiff Huddersfield and Fulham is 15 games W10 D 4 L 1

And you don't see why I get pissed off?

Back