• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

George Best

FrankMunro-371

Reaction score
Ten years ago today George Best passed away. And no one can deny that he lived life to the full.

Over the years, I have been fortunate enough to see quite a few great players, but in my opinion George Best was the greatest player I ever watched. He was a genius, and would have been one of the greats irrespective of which era he played in.

Without doubt the greatest player I've ever seen. I took time out to visit his grave and pay my respects. It is a normal plot along with his mother and I guess his father now too. If anyone ever goes you will find it very difficult to find among thousands, I think George would have preferred it that way.

Easily the best player I have ever seen on, Pele is spot on.

At times you would have thought that he had the ball tied to his feet. Back then there were a fair few physical defenders about, and likes of Ron "Chopper" Harris and Norman Hunter often used to try to kick lumps out of Georgie, but he was just too good for them.

I do wonder what he'd be like now - as you say Frank, he was kicked off the park constantly. He'd be better protected by the officials these days. Obviously way before my time, but some of the footage of him is breathtaking. Clearly a very special talent.

I do wonder what he'd be like now - as you say Frank, he was kicked off the park constantly. He'd be better protected by the officials these days. Obviously way before my time, but some of the footage of him is breathtaking. Clearly a very special talent.

Another factor is the pitches. They are so much better nowadays, but I am convinced he would have been an all time great in any era. I saw him take Wolves defence to the cleaners on more than one occasion. Even Frank Munro couldn't get close enough to kick him...!

Brilliant footballer no doubt, but a fucking selfish wanker in later life. Should have given that liver to somebody that would have respected it and cherished living.

TBF there are better examples of his greatness. Libor Kozak did that to us in pre-season.

Agreed, but I remember in a cup game at Molineux, George Best weaved his magic, and after one mazy run there were about four Wolves players on their backsides. The thing about Best was that on any given day he could destroy any defence. It was just a shame that he did not get more help in his younger days. I often wonder how Sir Alex Ferguson would have handled him?

I love watching that goal he scored when he lobbed it over about 4 defenders. Inch perfect. Class.

Alex Ferguson would have tamed him. He was very hands on with his stars and wanted to know what they where doing hour in hour out. Look at Ryan Giggs probably the closest you would get to Best and he had a superb career under Ferguson, yeah no doubt there was the odd time he slipped away from Fergie and had a sly knees up but all in all Fergie was brilliant for his career. Best would not have got away with his shit under Ferguson.

I honestly don't think he would've made pro. He drank too much and the current professional levels are above that, managers just wouldn't take the risk. Look at the young players bombed out because of bad behaviour.

I think Fergie would have gotten rid just like he did Lee Sharpe.

I honestly don't think he would've made pro. He drank too much and the current professional levels are above that, managers just wouldn't take the risk. Look at the young players bombed out because of bad behaviour.

Who knows - maybe his addiction could have been dealt with better in the modern day? I guess his 'celebrity' status was unprecedented back then.

You would hope so. One manger who may have turned a blind eye is floppychops

I think Best would have made the grade in any era. There have been many players with drink problems. And remember Best only started living the high life after he joined Manchester United. In today's game, he would have been monitored from a very young age, and looked after. Back then he was allowed to do what he wanted. As great a manager as Matt Busby was, he just could not control George Best.

Its hard to know how he would have handled the modern games off field standards of diet/ booze etc, but in the early part of his career under Busby he didn't stray that far, he wasn't that different in his drinking, off field behaviour etc in the early part of his career from his contemporaries (apart from the quality of bird he was shagging),

It was only when Busby left in the early 70's when Best was in his late 20's that he went off the rails, he became disillusioned with the game under a series of bum managers at United ending in that managerial dream team of Tommy Docherty/ Pat Crerand (I defy anybody not to take up drink if those 2 buffoons were in charge of you), before that he had won everything he possibly could in the game at United as well as getting European Player of the Year.

He was never going to do anything at International level with Northern Ireland (sure at the same time he was getting fucked off with United, he couldnt play for Northern Ireland in 1 WC qualifier due to a death threat from the IRA)

The thing I would say in his defence was that he had no protection at all from United (who to be fair had no precedence to follow), he was the first popstar footballer.

Saying that even if it was modern times and all the help players have nowadays the drink would have eventually taken over, the man had a disease and it would have come to surface eventually, he was really finished in the 70's when he was 28, I think he would have shone brightly in the modern game till his mid-20's before it would have caught up with him.

Still some thick c**ts out there who don't know who he is......
This guy is an embarrassment

Back