• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Ipswich (A) Build-Up

From the little I've seen of Ipswich over the last 12 months or so, it seems as though Murphy will drift to the right side and try to cut inside to shoot with his stronger left foot. Sears will drift left and try the opposite. Danny Batth seems to be very right-sided. Mike Williamson seems to be not quite so one-sided though favours his left. I'm sure that Terry Connor will be pointing this out to Mick McCarthy and that Ipswich will encourage Murphy and Sears to target the area between Baath and Williamson. I'm equally sure that Kenny Jackett will have worked this out too, but will he do more than just warning the players to expect such tactics?

Ipswich are very old school with central defenders who love playing against strikers who play in traditional roles.
Wolves shouldn't present Berra with a player who plays up against him, but players who give him problems by dropping off and finding positions that make him think "Should I stay or should I go"

----------------------Martinez (if fit)-------------------------

Iorfa----------Batth----------Williamson-------------Golbourne

Byrne---------Price-----------McDonald--------------Graham

----------------Afobe----------Le Fondre-------------------------

2014/15: D 1-1 (H), L 1-2 (A)
2012/13: L 0-2 (H), W 2-0 (A)
2008/9: D 0-0 (H), W 2-0 (A)
2007/8: D 1-1 (H), L 0-3 (A)
2006/7: W 1-0 (H), W 1-0 (A)
2005/6: W 1-0 (H), D 1-1 (A)
2004/5: W 2-0 (H), L 1-2 (A)
2002/3: D 1-1 (H), W 4-2 (A)
1999/0: W 2-1 (H), L 0-1 (A)
1998/9: W 1-0 (H), L 0-2 (A)
1997/8: D 1-1 (H), L 0-3 (A)
1996/7: D 0-0 (H), D 0-0 (A)
1995/6: D 2-2 (H), W 2-1 (A)
1993/4: D 1-1 (H, FAC), W 2-1 (A, FAC)

Yep looks good but wont happen. Away from home Edwards in the Hole Benik up front and Henry wide for Graham. Le Fondre on the bench .

Martinez
Iorfa Batth Williamson Goldbourne

Byrne McDonald Price Henry
Edwards

Afobe

1-1 but with the weather it may be a dire watch ! Hoping for three points, will take one but must not lose this or any of our next 5 IMO. 3 wins 2 draws is acceptable

From the little I've seen of Ipswich over the last 12 months or so, it seems as though Murphy will drift to the right side and try to cut inside to shoot with his stronger left foot. Sears will drift left and try the opposite. Danny Batth seems to be very right-sided. Mike Williamson seems to be not quite so one-sided though favours his left. I'm sure that Terry Connor will be pointing this out to Mick McCarthy and that Ipswich will encourage Murphy and Sears to target the area between Baath and Williamson. I'm equally sure that Kenny Jackett will have worked this out too, but will he do more than just warning the players to expect such tactics?

Good summary and a reason Price must start with his cover in front of the central pair IMO.

Ipswich are very old school with central defenders who love playing against strikers who play in traditional roles.
Wolves shouldn't present Berra with a player who plays up against him, but players who give him problems by dropping off and finding positions that make him think "Should I stay or should I go"

Absolutely - Berra would enjoy holt and the physical battle, but get a little guy twisting and turning and he's awful. Would mean we'd have to keep the ball on the ground though...

When was the last time we played and kept the ball on the ground then? We have been lumping the ball up to a small man who can't play with his back to goal, or hold the ball up and bring other players in, all season, we may as well lump it up to a big man.
Edwards behind Holt. Apologies in advance to Lycan.

Interesting stat for those that like such things.....

Afobe hasn't scored from open play in a non-televised game since the transfer window closed.

Interesting stat...He has now

Just looking at the highlights plus reports this seems to be a reoccurring theme at how to open up Wolves.

Overload the flanks with good lateral movement within a front three, joining up with the fullback and midfield players.
By doing so creating easy crossing opportunities as you get beyond Wolves back line. We keep seeing those situations when our centre backs are then turned back towards our own goal which is not playing to their strengths. Tactically poor again Wolves.

Back