• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

January 2022 Transfer Thread

Not surprising at all but all the same still a disappointing window again.
Club will point to the fact they’ve secured a player already at the club and have bought in future prospects.
Reality is we’ve ended this window weaker than we started it. Regardless of what you think of Traore he was always an option.
We are bouncing against our glass ceiling in 8th place and I think we’ll probably end up between there and about 12th depending on injuries.
First 11 very good depth very weak.
We don't know that at all. Chiquinho could be better than Traore from the off.

We are certainly one midfielder short but then that hasn't changed since the Vitinha option wasn't taken up.

We are certainly one midfielder short but then that hasn't changed since the Vitinha option wasn't taken up.
That’s one big “could” Traore at least you knew in general what was coming Chiquinho is very Green especially to the PL and may need some time.

Tbh I've got very few concerns that Chiqinho won't be able to match Adama's influence. He looks quick, skillful and direct, and like he'll be able to cause problems for 15-20 minutes when called upon.

It's fucking outrageous that we haven't signed a central midfielder for three years though. I think it may even make Joao less keen to stay tbh, is he going to want to be playing 3000+ minutes this season, with a World Cup in the middle of it? Or at his age would he rather be in a less intense league and be in a squad where his minutes are going to be managed better?

Tbh I've got very few concerns that Chiqinho won't be able to match Adama's influence. He looks quick, skillful and direct, and like he'll be able to cause problems for 15-20 minutes when called upon.

It's fucking outrageous that we haven't signed a central midfielder for three years though. I think it may even make Joao less keen to stay tbh, is he going to want to be playing 3000+ minutes this season, with a World Cup in the middle of it? Or at his age would he rather be in a less intense league and be in a squad where his minutes are going to be managed better?
I think Joao wants to play as much as possible. Whether that gets the best out of him is a different matter.

The squad isn't even small now, to be honest. The only glaring hole, and I agree that it is a significant one with Donck being largely hapless, is in central midfield.

We're stacked at wing back, have decent options at centre back which will improve with Mosquera returning (but should require investment in the summer with Boly/Saiss moving on), good options wide and Fabio looks like a more capable deputy when needed now.

If it turns out that Cundle is half decent then I think we're ok

The squad isn't even small now, to be honest. The only glaring hole, and I agree that it is a significant one with Donck being largely hapless, is in central midfield.

We're stacked at wing back, have decent options at centre back which will improve with Mosquera returning (but should require investment in the summer with Boly/Saiss moving on), good options wide and Fabio looks like a more capable deputy when needed now.
Not sure anyone is arguing too strongly that we should have signed anything other than a CM?

Cundle isn't going to play in CM unless both Neves and Moutinho are out at the same time, Bruno has been bringing him on for the odd minute wide to get him experience gradually. He's an emergency option in that position only.

Would you say he’s got what it takes to have a career at this level? And would that be in a midfield 2 or further forward?

Cundle isn't going to play in CM unless both Neves and Moutinho are out at the same time, Bruno has been bringing him on for the odd minute wide to get him experience gradually. He's an emergency option in that position only.
Think he came on in the middle against blades? Looked busy.

Would you say he’s got what it takes to have a career at this level? And would that be in a midfield 2 or further forward?
I think he's got every chance, he stands out a mile in the u23s

He looks like he plays all over but he is light weight so whether he could play in a 2 remains to be seen.

Or Cundlinho, as he's apparently known in the squad!

He does look like a good footballer - though it'd be so much better for him if we had a viable option in midfield and he could go out on loan for this season and next

Think he came on in the middle against blades? Looked busy.
He did, it reminded me of Netos debut a bit, busy, put himself about, showed for the ball.....a long way to go obviously but encouraging I thought. I wouldn't have a problem with him starting alongside Neves or Moutinho but suspect he'll come on second half if we're comfortably in the lead.

Or Cundlinho, as he's apparently known in the squad!

He does look like a good footballer - though it'd be so much better for him if we had a viable option in midfield and he could go out on loan for this season and next
I'm surprised he didn't go out on loan. I like him but he's not played any senior football and he's tiny.

Do people really think signing a midfield player who isn't good enough to get in the team but will be happy to sit on the bench is a good idea for our squad development ?

I think we have to trust that Bruno is doing the same sort of work with Cundle behind closed doors on the training pitch as he has done with Toti, Kilman etc. Besides, we'll only need him if both Moutinho & Neves are crocked at the same time and that hasn't happened once since they both signed.

I've almost gone full circle in this window. It started with outrage towards Shi and the recruitment 'team'. Then I slowly came around to the idea that it might be worth keeping the powder dry right now, as the squad is close-knit, performing well, we have players returning from injury soon - and other than CM - we have depth in all areas. Let's not forget, it's this manager and squad that have got us 4 points off 4th place with a game in hand. Clearly it would have been ideal to bring in another CM, but who are they replacing? We're not dropping Joao or Ruben, and then you're looking at someone who's happy to sit on the bench and get minimal game-time; whilst also hindering development of other players. So what's the point? Honestly, I see it from both sides, but I'm far more relaxed about it than I was a few weeks back.

The loss of the "Adama factor" off the bench is a slight concern, but I think we'll just offer a different type of threat from the bench now, with players like Hwang, Fabio - and eventually Neto/Trincao (whichever isn't starting) - all of those are team players and not an individual who can occasionally do something outrageous, but most of the time, offers little end product. Plus we've no idea how good Chiquinho is.

I think we're in a good position to kick on over the second half of the season. CM will remain the obvious concern, but we're good enough to stay in/around the top 6. It's not just us that haven't spent either - look at West Ham. Still in Europe - above us in the table, but signed no one. What I will say, is we need to be busy in the summer window. We all know the main issues that need to be addressed, and I'm sure Fosun do too.

Do people really think signing a midfield player who isn't good enough to get in the team but will be happy to sit on the bench is a good idea for our squad development ?
Moutinho is 35, he may not be here next season, as it stands he isn't. Getting the right player and integrating them without pissing them off absolutely could happen now. Gives the guy you are bringing for next season 6 months to acclimatise. Obviously that wouldn't be a Ramsey or an Alli, but we wouldn't be in for that type of player anyway and nor should we be.

If it's a young player like Vitinha, absolutely.
I don't think Vitinha would want another season doing that here. He's benefitting with more game time. Maybe Lage has more faith in Cundle than some of our fans ?

Agree re midfielder.
I think you're too early to say if Chiquinho (uncapped) is better than Traore (8 caps). Much the same as Burnley wont know if Weghorst 12 Dutch caps ranked 14th in Fifa world rankings) will be better than Wood ( New zealand 62 caps 110 world ranking)

Vitinha didnt really do a lot here tbf. Another who had skill in patches but looked lightweight. Moutinho is a terrier as well as a damn good footballer.

Back